Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Free Member

Hello,
I would like some advice on what settings I should be using to save my file as a lossless avi in virtualdub so that I can apply certain filters to adjust the color and brightness only in vdub and then save it for possible further editing in another nle. Right now I have a working folder that has my source capture and my avisynth script and the audio wav. Can I just apply the filters when I "open video" and THEN save as .avi once I have applied all of my vdub filters? The capture is lagarith yuy2 avi file. This is a vhs to dvd restore and also a separate upload to YouTube. Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Free Member

Before saving you must pick the compression codec indeed otherwise it'll be uncompressed (massive file).
Also pick the color depth wisely, generally YV12 4.2.0 in and out but you want YUY2 so..

If you don't want to use filters, say open an .avs script and compress in avi pick the fast recompress mode. For processing with the filters it's always full processing.
03-20-2014, 06:21 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoink187 View Post
I would like some advice on what settings I should be using to save my file as a lossless avi in virtualdub so that I can apply certain filters to adjust the color and brightness only in vdub and then save it for possible further editing in another nle.
I've read this three times now, and still don't understand what you're asking.

Try again.

I hate to be a grammar nanny, but the run-in sentence causes it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-20-2014, 07:57 AM
Free Member

Lol. Sorry. I wanted some advice on workflow steps to preparing an avi that I just ran through avisynth filters.
For instance, I'm assuming, the next step is to "run it through" virtual dub and apply color and brightness filters (which I do need to apply in this instance). From there, I want to save that and place it into my actual video editing software. Then, I want to use avstodvd to author and burn. Mind you, keeping it lossless as much as possible. Is that a clearer question?
03-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Free Member

you can do better than saving to avi and importing to a nle

You can put your filters in an avs script, example for an interlaced source:

Code:
pointresize(last.width, last.height*2).ConverttoRGB32(matrix="rec601",interlaced=true).pointresize(last.width, last.height)
separatefields()
#### CCD COLOR DENOISING  ( to remove chroma noise):
LoadVirtualDubPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\virtualdubmod1.5\plugins\Camcorder_Color_Denoise_sse2.vdf", "CCD", 1)
#
CCD(15,1) # from 0 to 100 # Default =30 /  (15-30 works best for most videos)
# Sharpening with MSu Smart sharpen:
LoadVirtualDubPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDub\plugins\msu_sharpen.vdf", "MSUSmartSharpen", 1)
MSUSmartSharpen(1) #  from 0 (small overall) to  5 (mad) / 0-1 is gives best results
weave()
pointresize(last.width, last.height*2).converttoyv12(matrix="Rec601",interlaced=true).pointresize(last.width, last.height)
Note: this only work with external virtualdub filters, not internal

Then with a little tool called avs2avi you can create a fake avi (really small) and your NLE software should accept it (Vegas does i know)

So basically, the workflow to follow:

- Tweak your videos with vdub
- import your filters in an avs script (to save multiple YCrCb<> RGB convertions)
- Avoid 1 compression step by creating a fake avi and import to NLE

QED
03-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Free Member

1. Capture Video
  2. Build AVS list if using avisynth
  3. Apply VDUB filters if using those
  4. Choose output settings - the trick here is to ensure you are picking the correct color depth and compression codec to ensure no quality loss or broken videos
  5. Author
  6. Enjoy
  7. Send me cookies
03-20-2014, 05:48 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
you can do better than saving to avi and importing to a nle
You can put your filters in an avs script, example for an interlaced source:
I already have an avisynth script and ran the dub. Are you saying do the vdubbing first and then avisynth? I have already made sharpen and noise adjustments. I'm looking at brightness and color correction only. I know very little about writing the scripts and the parameters involved in the plugins. Thanks.
07-23-2014, 05:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoink187 View Post
I already have an avisynth script and ran the dub. Are you saying do the vdubbing first and then avisynth?
You can do it "backwards" if you want -- VirtualDub only, then Avisynth>VirtaulDub. That's the beauty of lossless video -- you can. Ideally, you want to do it in "order" for time reasons, but sometimes you need to run certain filters first.

Although, note that VirtualDub filters can be run in Avisynth! Few know this.

Cookies? I like chocolate chip the best.

I rarely give advice without seeing samples anymore.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
avisynth, vhs capture, vhs to dvd, virtualdub