05-31-2018, 05:28 AM
Free Member

How much for a capture card and tbc that both works for PAL? I already have a PAL Vhs called JVC Super VHS ET S6700. Do you have anything that Will work smoothly together with that? Any thoughts about the VCR I have?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-31-2018, 06:35 AM
Free Member

Hello F3LixBl0m,

which PAL Country you come from? Europe?
05-31-2018, 08:00 AM
Free Member

Im from sweden!
05-31-2018, 02:38 PM
Free Member

Hello F3LixBl0m,

here are the recommended workflow from german videoforums for VHS (PAL) capture.

Solution 1:
SVHS/VHS Recorder-Canopus/Edius NX Capture Card (included TBC)-capture with Edius in uncompressed YUV

Solution 2:
SVHS/VHS Recorder - Panasonic DMR with HDMI Output - HDMI Splitter (to remove HDPC Protection from HDMI Port) - Blackmagic Shuttle or Intensity (just to use the HDMI Interface) - capture with Virtual Dub (lossless with Lagarith or UT Video Codec) or Blackmagic Media Express (uncompressed YUV).

I have test these days my old ATI All-In-Wonder 7500 with ATI MMC8.7.
I have brightness variations (don't know the right word in english language) if the white level is too high. That's when I remember back was the reason I have never used the ati to capture the last 15 years. These problem have had other people, too.

Both solutions 1+2 should be the same price: 200-300 Euro.

I use both solutions.
05-31-2018, 04:11 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,442 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3LixBl0m View Post
How much for a capture card and tbc that both works for PAL? I already have a PAL Vhs called JVC Super VHS ET S6700. Do you have anything that Will work smoothly together with that? Any thoughts about the VCR I have?
The VCR is nothing special, slightly better than a good VHS VCR.
This has been asked before: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...6700-good.html

As far as a PAL-capable TBC being available ... maybe. As per my marketplace thread, PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogilein View Post
which PAL Country you come from? Europe?
That really should not matter. Aside from South America, almost all PAL is the same. It doesn't matter if you're in UK, Germany, Australia, China, etc ... and that includes Sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogilein View Post
Hello F3LixBl0m,
here are the recommended workflow from german videoforums for VHS (PAL) capture.
Solution 1: SVHS/VHS Recorder-Canopus/Edius NX Capture Card (included TBC)-capture with Edius in uncompressed YUV
The Edius doesn't have a TBC. At least not one that does anything discernable. It's neither frame-level or line-level, and essentially does nothing. TBC is a wide term that can almost mean anything, and Canopus was known to (ab)use the term too freely.

Quote:
Solution 2: SVHS/VHS Recorder - Panasonic DMR with HDMI Output - HDMI Splitter (to remove HDPC Protection from HDMI Port) - Blackmagic Shuttle or Intensity (just to use the HDMI Interface) - capture with Virtual Dub (lossless with Lagarith or UT Video Codec) or Blackmagic Media Express (uncompressed YUV).
- Panasonic DVD recorders are not TBC replacements.
- And the Blackmagic cards are known to have serious errors with SD video. Those cards were designed for HD only, with SD as an afterthought, and it shows.

Quote:
I have test these days my old ATI All-In-Wonder 7500 with ATI MMC8.7.
That, at least, is an excellent card.

Quote:
I have brightness variations (don't know the right word in english language) if the white level is too high. That's when I remember back was the reason I have never used the ati to capture the last 15 years. These problem have had other people, too.
That problem is due to lack of TBC. That's what happens with almost every capture card out there. These devices are coerced into adding Macrovision detection, and legitimate errors often trip up the signal protection. Even when cards do not have MV detection, analog errors will simply trip up the capture. Digital expects clean pure signals, and VHS was anything but. Consumer analog formats were more like controlled chaos that anything else.

Quote:
Both solutions 1+2 should be the same price: 200-300 Euro.
A true workflow will triple that amount.
See also: What’s in a Professional Video Workflow to Convert Analog Videotapes?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs