08-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Thanks LS for your reply about "Best video monitor 42" LCD vs Computer monitor". So I currently have a 32" Dynex LCD next to a 23" ACER computer monitor set up for my "Audio" recording PC in my "Recording Room"...(besides the 42" LCD / 22" monitor in Living room/"Video" PC )..In both cases, I use the Bigger TVs for watching broadcasts/movies and also stuff from the computers...In both cases this is the result of using what I have on hand,and budget,but at the same time very confusing for the PC as far as resolution settings for two different size "monitors". And not enough space for a Big TV and then Two computer monitors in both rooms. However I'm thinking of getting a 2nd 23" monitor for the "Audio" PC and moving the 32" elsewhere..and the same goes for the "Video" PC, But I need cheap,not fancy...and Acer doesn't make the H233H anymore to match my old one,..any suggestions?..And sitting up close to the 32" is kind of weird too!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-22-2014, 05:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
What is cheap? For me, $300 is cheap.
I use ViewSonic monitors: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4QZZ6VY4335SUH

I'd get confused too, with large TVs as a monitor. I think 23-26" is plenty large, especially at a desk viewing it 1-2' away.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (08-26-2014)
08-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

Cheap meaning 120.00 or so for a 23" monitor or two...I have spent plenty on video gear and audio/music gear over the past few years,and now being temp unemployed, finally have time to work with all the gear I've set up,but never had time to fully get to know and produce a finished product, both video and audio. I know my set ups are confusing,but my video set up is in living room,wth no room to put an actual computer desk,I do everything from the couch,about 8' from big tv....and in my audio "studio" room,I use a Big TV for monitoring,so I can see everything, while standing away from desk,with a guitar/mic or keyboard setup for recording live music alone, or with other people in the room, But while at first I thought was a great Idea,Maybe I should find room to put a real "Video Desk" in living room (with 2- 23" monitors) and take down the big tv above "Audio" desk, and use 2-23" monitors also. (I originally separated the Video and Audio areas thinking it would enable multi-tasking at the same time on Video/Audio Projects,but that has never happened yet!!
08-27-2014, 04:23 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I doubt you'd find anything good for $60 each or even $120 each.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (08-28-2014)
08-28-2014, 02:06 AM
Premium Member

Sorry,I must have confused again,I meant 120.00 per Monitor. Just spent a long (too much?) time composing a reply,and when I hit "post quick reply",It said ACTION DENIED (or something like that) I was already logged in ,and it requested another log-in,went back and fourth,but my composition was lost?..is there a time limit on posting???
08-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
I doubt that even "better" or more expensive monitors will prove satisfactory if none of the displays are properly calibrated. The cheaper the monitor or TV, the worse its visual performance in terms of color/gamma/luminance response, etc., as well as motion handling, phase/clock timing, and other factors. I calibrate monitors frequently for my PC customers who use their displays for video or photo viewing. Cheap displays look awful, especially at factory settings. Many of them can't be calibrated to established standards because they are substandard performers or because they simply don't have image controls available for proper adjustment.

I'd heed lordsmurf's expert advice. IMO there are a few PC monitor brands around that offer decent performance and accuracy out of the box and would be considered anywhere near established sRGB standards for most users. These name brands manufacture IPS displays, which is what you should be using to begin with. All of the good IPS models from these brands come at a price considerably more than $120:

HP
Dell UltraSharp
ViewSonic
LG
ASUS
NEC

On the other hand if you think 300% overbright, color temps exceeding 9000K or under 6500K, pumped contrast, oversaturation, inferior font rendering, and 15% or higher grayscale gamut error looks good to you, go with whatever you like.