01-28-2015, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

In the interest of saving $$, I'm guessing one could use one good IPS monitor for viewing critical Video, and the other "on hand" or any old regular monitor for viewing work/app windows?

Last edited by rocko; 01-28-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: add
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-30-2015, 06:42 AM
Free Member

Generally works best if both monitors are the same resolution and size, especially when spreading your desktop across both. A long timeline across both monitors is nice to have.

If you are calibrating your monitors (a good idea for color correction work), be aware that not all graphics cards support a separate look-up tables for each monitor.

Different make/model monitors can have somewhat different colors, and placing them side-by-side can be a bit distracting if you are focused on color correction.

As you propose, use the better monitor for your color evaluation, the other can display media bin, filter and effects lists, etc. where accurate color is not essential. Having an output card that can feed a HDMI or component signal to a good video monitor (or quality TV) is arguably best for evaluating your video work as it will be seen in typical viewing environments. Most PC monitors, especially the economical models, are designed for computer graphics, not video.
01-30-2015, 07:03 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Both monitors need to be the same. Trust me. I tried to be cheap myself, and the non-IPS was being used for another computer entirely. But shifting between them all day was disorienting. My eyes could never fully adjust, and my brain was never sure of contrast/color, etc.

Just suck it up and buy matching ones.

Best move I ever made, especially since the ViewSonic is so perfect.

BTW, this thing sure does fluctuate in price! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...NH5RTFV4NBASBD
It's $212 today, down from $256 a day or two ago.
When I bought mine, they were closer to about $275 each.

This all said, realize I've never seen the value in 2 monitors on 1 system. You can only look at one at a time anyway. I've never really seen a video professional do this, only wanna-be's, gamers, amateurs, etc. Real work is hard to do on two. When a pro needs more space, he just buys a bigger one. I've often seen 27- and 30-inch displays.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-30-2015, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

Very Interesting! lordsmurf, I saw The same price fluctuations, on this same Viewsonic VP2365 monitor...a few days ago on Amazon it was $212, "only one left","More on the way",Then the next day, when I was ready to buy, It was gone thru Amazon at that price, But available thru a 2nd seller of Amizon for $256.00..so I ordered from Walmart.com for $212.00 and it got here today...Looks like Amazon was waiting for,and then got their re-stock..But the big "W" got my business! Too-Bad for Amazon!...I can already tell It's a great product, because the packaging/shipping box was almost as big as the "Studio chair" package I picked up at Staples today!..(Most Packaging for a 23" monitor comes in a slim pack box)...Plus It comes with a "Set-up" CD which includes files for adjusting the color and stuff, and a driver? But may still may not be "Calibration?"...And 2 Monitors VS 1 Monitor is also a big $ decision, depending on one's expierience,preferences,and Mainly Focal Point Of View, But needs to be included in each individuals decisions about workstation set-up and budget....To avoid any time-consuming Hassles, (I've spent 3 or 4 years now troubleshooting/configuring/learning) I may wind -up ordering another View-sonic VP2365 (For Mon#2) for my Capture PC (Win XP) and Video Editing PC (Win 7) because I'm tired of conflicting resolutions/errors. And it seems like the entire Windows system Depends on a stable Graphics Envirionment Anyway

Last edited by rocko; 01-30-2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: change