02-03-2015, 06:01 AM
Premium Member

Here is a pic of my OLD Living room Capture PC and Video PC Set-up from the couch..all connected to Win XP Capture and also Win 7 PC/Satellite.w/Remote Keyboard/Mouse/KVM Switch..No wonder I lost Interest!..This is all changing as I speak...I finally purchased a real Computer Desk,and monitors (View-Sonic) For a Dedicated Video Capture Work-Station! which will go to the left of Big TV!...2 View-Sonics will be connected to Win XP/ATI-MMC Capture PC, And then Big TV Only for Win 7/Satellite Viewing...(And one View-sonic to Win7 PC because ViewSonic has no HDMI in, and Win 7 PC Video card only has one DVI out..But trying to view Video capture process on Big TV and/or 19' cheap computer monitor was really crazy!..BTW the 42" Sanyo TV (Pictured) Blew-Up, due to all the weird wiring going from KVM/XP PC/Win7PC/Audio Amp!

Video PC Producer's View (800x600).jpg

edit: OOPS! Forgot to down-size attached photo above,and manage so it is viewable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Video PC Producer's View.jpg (73.5 KB, 10 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-06-2015, 11:37 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Yeah, I could never do this without a desk. No desk = insane to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockovids View Post
OOPS! Forgot to down-size attached photo above,and manage so it is viewable.
The forum automatically downsizes images to 890px wide and/or 2000px vertical.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (02-07-2015)
02-07-2015, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

Very nice now! with real desk, 2 Viewsonics, and an "executive" chair...And the Capture equipment right next to it.
02-07-2015, 04:01 PM
Free Member

And at least some members of the the under 30 crowd tend to use wireless keyboard in their lap while curled up on a couch. But amen to having a real desk with space for paper and notes.
02-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
The question is, where is the lighting in this room? I see one desk lamp in the left corner which is OK, but if the main room lights are on you're working in light that's too bright for video work. Don't have bright light sources or daytime open windows in front of a monitor.

I've always questioned (a) the use of a consumer TV for viewing PC output from PC graphics cards and (b) IMO the practice of watching retail movies on a PC monitor is almost as weird. DVD/BluRay movies were not designed for the colorspace and luma/gamma curves of PC monitors, and vice versa. A monitor and a TV should be calibrated with a colorimeter kit, and the PC monitor set up to more closely mimic the display characteristics of a TV if TV playback is the intention.

If you're doing any audio mods, use good headphones from your PC sound card. Try Grado SR-85 or such headphones for the low output of sound cards and for the headphone-out on a/v amps. Typical consumer speakers and room characteristics don't reproduce audio accurately for that kind of work.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: rocko (02-17-2015)
02-17-2015, 09:05 AM
Site Staff | Video

These days, I watch whatever wherever -- computer, big 55" TV, small 13" TV ... even my iPad while in the bathtub!

DVD, Blu-ray, VHS, VCD, MP4, ISO, AVI, MKV, whatever.
This is the primary area where I can really appreciate modern tech, compared to when I started 20+ years ago.

02-17-2015, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

Whoops, looks like I failed to post pic on my 2/7/2015 of my NEW 2-monitor/and desk set-up!, I will do new post, the existing pic is of the old, crazy set up, just to show how I was using only the Big TV. And (About lighting question for sanlyn)..I simply had all the lights on in room for photo, room is pretty dark even in daytime.

-- merged --

Here's the NEW set-up, which is an ACTUAL video work station! So much better!..The old "Capture from the couch" set up (Pictured earlier) was very ridiculous! Now I can use the 2 ViewSonics for capture/edit XP PC, and one ViewSonic/Big TV for the other PC.New CapturePC Workstation&ViewSonics (2) (800x450).jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

02-17-2015, 11:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

I use a pair of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...XXX4XIGMF64R6C
One is exactly this, and one is an older-but-similar Sauder.