01-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Free Member

Hello!

My first post! There is sure is a lot of knowledge in this forum! So, here is my question. I currently have a Sony CCD-TRV65 HI8 camcorder, and was wondering about the ATI600 capture card. Do I just need any ATI600 card with a S-Video input jack? Or do I need a specific suffix in addition to the ATI600 number? Also, I'm using a DELL OPTIPLEX 760 with a duo core processor, 4gb ram, 160gb hd. I just want to copy my family's videos(52 HI8 tapes) to a format that I can watch on a DVD or Blu-ray player; no editing of video. Is there any other hardware/software I need in addition to the camcorder and capture card? I did try and look through all the posts, but I'm a little overwhelmed on exactly what I need. Also, I would like the best video quality.
Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Free Member

52 Hi8 tapes of family home video
No editing - just move to current media - DVD or BD format

How much are you willing to spend in time and money to accomplish this? Ultimately that will drive the solution. The easiest and least of your time is to hire it out. DIY may save money but can eat a lot of your time between capturing, additional processing as needed, authoring, burning to media, and such packaging as you elect to do. ("The best video quality" is an open ended requirement without some delimiters on time and money.)

For Hi8 source material there is likely little advantage to BD as a final delivery media beyond the amount of material you can put on one disc.

How well to the tapes currently play in your camcorder?
Does what you see when playing directly to your intended viewing system (e.g., TV) meet your expectations? Is it satisfactory, or does it need clean-up or sweetening?

A basic transfer approach would be to use a DVD recorder to record directly to DVD from the Hi8 player, possibly inserting a TBC and/or ProcAmp in the signal path to do some basic clean-up and corrections when needed. (No need to capture to a computer.) See other threads here for recommended DVD recorders - they are not all equal.

Last edited by dpalomaki; 01-24-2015 at 10:20 AM.
01-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Free Member

Thanks "dpalomaki" for the tips!
01-25-2015, 05:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
It's not really "copying" -- this is capturing.

And then VHS/S-VHS and Video8/Hi8 have almost no differences in workflow. With the 8mm-based Sony tape formats, you'll most likely use a camera, not a VCR. (While for VHS, you almost never want to use a camera.)

It would be:
camera > TBC > optional audio/video filter hardware > ATI 600 USB capture card

At minimum, you'll want a TBC -- probably the DataVideo TBC-100/1000/3000/etc. Video8 and Hi8 drop a ton of frames without it.

I work with Hi8 and really do enjoy it. Our most recent project was an "unplayable" tape. While the first 95 minutes did indeed have a confirmed modulation error (ie, no video/audio recorded on the tape), then last 20 minutes were recoverable. And that just so happened to be the client's most cherished memory from that specific tape. I really like it when we can do things like that.

Contact us, and send them here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/sendmessage.php

DIY sounds cheap, but usually is not. It'll take time, money, and in the end, the quality may not be as good. We gladly help others learn DIY, but we also do a lot of video work. Why? The above reasons: lots of money, lots of time, and lesser quality output. For just 50 tapes, you're not going to save much, after buying all the needed hardware. Assuming you already have a known-good Hi8-camera, you're looking at at least another $400 for the TBC and capture card.

Your choice. Either way.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the tips "Lordsmurf"! I'm still trying to decide on what to do. If I go the DIY method I will probably go this workflow (for my VHS tapes)= JVC HR-S9600/9800/9900+ series, or JVC SR-V10U S-VHS VCR> AVT-8710> JVC DR-M10 or DR-M100 DVD recorder. For the HI8 tapes my Sony CCD-TRV65 HI8 camcorder> AVT-8710> JVC DR-M10 or DR-M100 DVD recorder. I do not plan on any editing. I will then judge the DVD quality with the family. Most commercial places around here(metro Detroit area) want $20 per HI8 to DVD transfer. I can always sell my equipment when I'm done, and get a newer HD camcorder.
01-30-2015, 01:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegheny View Post
I can always sell my equipment when I'm done, and get a newer HD camcorder.
Yep.

02-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Free Member

Getting closer, I recently picked up the following units: JVC DR-M100S and a JVC HR-S9900U. Now I need to get the AV TOOLBOX AVT-8710 TBC, and get started! Thanks again for all the help!
02-11-2015, 09:28 PM
Site Staff | Video

The DataVideo TBC-100, 1000, 3000 may be better these days. There's a lot of bad AVT-8710 units out there.

02-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Free Member

Thanks a lot for the update, I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a AVT-8710 The hunt begins for your recommendations!

-- merged --

I did find a new AV TOOLBOX AVT-8710 TBC(green with black trim), and a capture card (FACTORY SEALED) ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500DV 64MB DDR AGP 4x/2x . Now I just need to start hooking everything up! Thanks again for everyone's help, and I'm sure I will be asking more questions, as I get overwhelmed reading all the guides and info here!