Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-16-2016, 06:20 AM
Premium Member

About 5 or so years ago, I Capped some VHS tape footage in .AVI format using an XP based PC with ATI AIW Video card, The Playback looked horribly "Combed" with horizontal lines across the screen.

I thought that something was horribly wrong with my Video capture process, Until I saw something posted by sanlyn about setting my VLC player software to INTERLACE/De-Interlace setting!

So then I went back into VLC AND CHANGED VIDEO Settings around and Whala!..
Captured Video Looked smooth as silk!..
In OTHER WORDS, THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CAPTURE, IT WAS THE .AVI FILE PLAYBACK APP SETTINGS THAT NEEDED TO BE ADJUSTED!

Last edited by rocko; 07-16-2016 at 06:36 AM. Reason: add
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-28-2016, 12:29 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Yeah, interlace can be tricky to understand.

You capture was right -- and you TV also understand interlace (HDTV or SDTV).
It's just computer playback that gets confused. It's a progressive device playing interlaced content.

VLC is a good live-deinterlacing player. Never deinterlace just to watch. Change the player software, not the video!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.