Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Free Member

Hello,

First of all, thank you guys for all valuable information and advice you post on this forum.

Currently I’m stuck with the issue of synchronizing the equipment during video capture.

My capture device is Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K that has a Reference In, TBC DPS-235 with Genlock In, and VCR Panasonic AG-1980 without any sync ins or outs.

My question is – do I need to synchronize all this equipment, at all? Does it make sense to use external Sync Generator (like the one from Blackmagic that has several Sync outs) to send Black burst to capturing device via Ref in, and TBC via Genlock in, and to VCR (probably via linear or video in)?

I would appreciate your explanation on this matter.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

There is no need to genlock the equipment for capture. These inputs are required in professional video production studios, the typical capture workflow doesn't require them at all.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: render9 (10-26-2017)
10-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
There is no need to genlock the equipment for capture. These inputs are required in professional video production studios, the typical capture workflow doesn't require them at all.
Thank you for the reply! I was just confused by recommendations of some users on different forums who suggest synchronizing VCR with capture device.
10-20-2017, 07:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by render9 View Post
Thank you for the reply! I was just confused by recommendations of some users on different forums who suggest synchronizing VCR with capture device.
You have to be careful about online advice. Sometimes the people writing stuff know nore more than yourself, and sometimes even less (yikes!).

Genlock is for studios.

You just need an external frame-sync TBC, and preferably a line TBC in S-VHS deck as well. Use both. Former cleans the signal, latter cleans the image.

Also a word of warning:

Blackmagic equipment is known to be extremely bad on analog SD material. The SD aspect of the card is an afterthought. For example, BM is known to not report dropped frames. Why it even drops them is an unknown, as a cheap $50-100 range USB2 card can have no drops. Beware!

Quite a few reports of this problem in this forum.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: render9 (10-26-2017)

Tags
genlock, reference, sync