10-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Free Member

JVC HR-S9800

My name is Rochelle and I have just purchased the above VCR although I have not received it in the mail. About 5 years ago I researched on this website and others the concepts behind capturing, editing, converting/encoding, burning ....

... however, it was five years ago.

I am fully aware there are many features on the S9800 that I'll need to research and master but here are a couple basic questions for which I need answers just to get me started again. I know there is much to learn beyond these questions.

1. Conversion will be from 8mm and VHS tapes and I believe the following is correct:

I will be using an old, funky VCR to copy my VHS tapes to the S9800: VHS to VHS

Is it possible to connect a camcorder to the S9800? (Oops. I just read in the manual that it has a
VHS casette adapter compact for camcorder tapes.)

2. Once files are loaded onto the S9800, I need to view them for editing on my PC's LCD and since the S9800 only has an “analog broadcast tuner,” I apparently will need a “converter box.”

Which is?

And, what is the software process of transferring from the S9800 to the PC?
What software app is used in this phase?

Thanks for your time, Rochelle
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RochelleH View Post
Do not do this. Go from analog to digital, not analog to analog. The old "funky" VCR should not be used at all. Play tapes in 9800 to digital capture card/recorder of some sort.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-22-2017, 03:15 PM
Free Member

Quote:
2. Once files are loaded onto the S9800, I need to view them for editing on my PC's LCD and since the S9800 only has an “analog broadcast tuner,” I apparently will need a “converter box.”

Which is?

And, what is the software process of transferring from the S9800 to the PC?
What software app is used in this phase?

Thanks for your time, Rochelle

You will need a capture card, and then use VirtualDub in capture mode

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ti-wonder.html
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html

10-22-2017, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
I researched on this website and others the concepts behind capturing, editing, converting/encoding, burning ....

... however, it was five years ago.
This makes me wonder what you were reading. Are you sure it was digitalfaq? The analog-to-digital capture guides go back more than 10 years. And none of them would dare talk you into doing what you suggest with your videos.

Quote:
Not that, Rochelle. Never. Do you really want to screw up your transfer project that badly? Analog sources are played with a VCR into a capture device designed to translate analog signals properly to digital media on a computer. Computers are used to edit these captured videos. Never copy tape-to-tape for edits. Not ever. Please.

Don't use funky old VCRs. Use your 9800. A poor capture from a funky old cheapo VCR is visual garbage that can't be improved.

Quote:
You can't "load files" onto VCRs. Analog video doesn't consist of files. Analog video doesn't have any 0's or 1's. Analog video doesn't even have pixels. Analog video consists of varying electronic non-digital waveforms recorded onto thin magnetic media that you know as "video tape".

Quote:
what is the software process of transferring from the S9800 to the PC?
To echo notes that lordsmurf and dinkleberg posted earlier:

A capture device designed specifically for analog to digital capture is required to capture analog sources onto digital media on a computer. Until a few years ago, the most favored capture devices were the AGP and PCIe ATI All In Wonder capture cards. These cards are difficult to find nowadays and computers that could use them are no longer made. Newer capture devices are more simplified and use a USB connection to your PC. From your VCR, use composite or s-video cables and audio wires to connect the VCR to the capture device. The most popular software recommended for highest quality capture from these devices are VirtualDUb's capture mode or, with somewhat less control over the signal, AmarecTv. These softwares are used to capture analog sources into digital working files using a preferred YUY2 colorspace and lossless compression such as huffyuv, Lagarith, or UT Video. The lossless captured files are filtered, color corrected, edited, etc., then encoded into lossy final delivery formats such as MPEG2 or h.264 for DVD, BluRay, and PC and internet playback.

There are lesser-quality formats used as capture files, such as lossy DV or high-bitrate MPEG2, and even lower quality capture to h.264 containers. But these are lossy formats not designed for modification without further quality loss, often very serious loss.

That's the general method for highest quality analog-to-digital processing from 15 years ago, and 5 years ago, and today, and it's unlikely to change tomorrow.

Earlier, dinkleberg posted two good links to get you started.
10-23-2017, 02:03 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
digitalfaq? The analog-to-digital capture guides go back more than 10 years.
Actually, it will be 15 years in December.

Quote:
Do you really want to screw up your transfer project that badly?
Be nice.

Hopefully he/she'll come back shortly, and we can get him/her on a path to video success.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs