Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-16-2017, 03:26 PM
Free Member

Hi, I have successfully transferred all but one VHS tape to digital format, using VirtualDub with the HuffyUV compression.

The resulting files look good and play well, except the voices are pitched higher/faster, presumably due to the compression.

Can you point me to the best next step, (probably in one of the FAQ's) on uncompressing and getting in a form that I can start making DVD's from the files I've produced?

Most of the searches I have made focus on the equipment and the capturing steps, but just need the next step or two to round 3rd and get home.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Higher pitch? That's not normal.

It may be a wrong setting in VirtualDub. I know that some systems react differently to different cards, and the deeper settings need to be tweaked at times. sanlyn and I have covered some in forum posts in the past, but I'm still working on a detailed guide.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-31-2018, 09:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEMan View Post
Hi, I have successfully transferred all but one VHS tape to digital format, using VirtualDub with the HuffyUV compression.

The resulting files look good and play well, except the voices are pitched higher/faster, presumably due to the compression.

Can you point me to the best next step, (probably in one of the FAQ's) on uncompressing and getting in a form that I can start making DVD's from the files I've produced?

Most of the searches I have made focus on the equipment and the capturing steps, but just need the next step or two to round 3rd and get home.

Visit this page and ctrl-f resync.

What I suspect is happening is that VirtualDub is resampling your audio to correct timing. This can occur for a number of reasons.

If you captured with a TBC, it's an issue with the computer or settings somewhere. Try capturing without compression to see if that helps. Try capturing to an SSD or another internal drive. Monitor temperatures with software and look for something out of whack.

I had this problem when my disk controller's heatsink fell off. Everything was seemingly working fine with the computer but I unknowingly had very low write speed. Hard to diagnose because it didn't trigger a shutdown.

The video and audio may seem fine besides the pitch at the beginning, but if you scroll to the end it likely falls out of sync.
02-01-2018, 01:06 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkleberg View Post
Visit this page and ctrl-f resync.

What I suspect is happening is that VirtualDub is resampling your audio to correct timing. This can occur for a number of reasons.

If you captured with a TBC, it's an issue with the computer or settings somewhere. Try capturing without compression to see if that helps. Try capturing to an SSD or another internal drive. Monitor temperatures with software and look for something out of whack.

I had this problem when my disk controller's heatsink fell off. Everything was seemingly working fine with the computer but I unknowingly had very low write speed. Hard to diagnose because it didn't trigger a shutdown.

The video and audio may seem fine besides the pitch at the beginning, but if you scroll to the end it likely falls out of sync.
The suggestion of removing compression did the trick. I believe you are correct about the resampling.

Now I'm working on figuring out the best method to convert the avi file to DVD.

Thanks for the help and responses!!
02-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Site Staff | Video

Best method of "converting" AVI to DVD is simply encoding to MPEG, and authoring.
- Tip: See Premium Member forum for authoring (DVDWS2)
- For encoding, the freeware Avidemux 2.5 works very well. Note version: 2.5.

Glad to see this is now sorted. Sort of.

Compression, as in the video compression? It's odd to see Huffyuv compression cause issues. Try to capture with Lagarith. It's high on CPU use, and may drop more frames as a result, but at least see if the audio issue is gone.

Those 75gb/hour uncompressed files are not fun. Not just larger, but slower to use.

02-04-2018, 05:11 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEMan View Post
The suggestion of removing compression did the trick. I believe you are correct about the resampling.

Now I'm working on figuring out the best method to convert the avi file to DVD.

Thanks for the help and responses!!
Try again with compression, but check CPU usage with Task Manager. If it is really high, you can encode after you capture. Or try the lossless MagicYUV codec which has a very low CPU usage. Older version is free for personal use. If CPU usage is still very high, I would just encode after capture. I don't know how much CPU usage is too high, but I only hit like 20% usage on an Intel E6750.

If neither of those is the problem, you need to monitor temps with a free program like HWMonitor.
You want to look for anomalies, like one item being 15 degrees hotter than everything else. Older hardware as is typically used in analog capture had separate north bridges and south bridges which often weren't cooled adequately. Over time, the performance of thermal interface material degrades and heatsinks can become unseated exacerbating this issue.
The following users thank dinkleberg for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-04-2018)
02-04-2018, 11:55 PM
Site Staff | Video

Great tips for dropped frames prevention, too! I must remember this post.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: dinkleberg (08-02-2018)