11-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Free Member

Hello Digital FAQ,

I've been reading the guides on this forum and I really find them helpful! I am eager to start transferring VHS and 8mm tapes, but I have a problem...

I am following the suggestions of forum members here and am trying to build an XP SP2 computer to work with an ATI All in Wonder 9600xt card, but I am frustrated because I cannot find a working motherboard with an AGP port! I purchased an old Dell Dimension computer from ebay. The capacitors looked fine in the picture, but the motherboard does not work. I purchased another motherboard with the same socket type, but it doesn't support hyper-threading.

Can someone tell me the make and model of some other P4 AGP motherboards that will work well with my video card that can be purchased somewhere (new or used) in 2017?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-15-2017, 02:47 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
I'm going to be making 2 captures systems from the last of my spare parts, and putting those in the Marketplace in December. They'll come fully loaded for video capture, completely set up, and will literally be plug-and-capture (and VCR+TBC, and I have those available too). So that's an option you may want to consider. But it also depends on where you are. My stuff ships from USA. Are you in Canada?

There are lots and lots of AGP boards available these days. Some are high-end (dual/quad-core) and still pricey to build, and then you have tons of single core boards. It really depends on what you need/want to do:
- lossless AVI
- MPEG DVD 3-9mbps spec
- MPEG BD/broadcast 15mbps spec

What exact boards are you buying? Please link to a site with detailed info on their specs.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-15-2017, 07:56 PM
Free Member

Hi lordsmurf,

What I want to do is to transfer VHS and 8mm to lossless AVI. I want to create raw data files that maximize picture quality.

I have a (non-functional) Dell Dimension 4600 that has this motherboard type.

There are replacements for sale on ebay, such as this.

I am interested in the capture PC and TBC that you will have for sale in December. I may get another motherboard for the Dell to see if I can get it working but I am not that hopeful. I am in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I'm going to be making 2 captures systems from the last of my spare parts, and putting those in the Marketplace in December. They'll come fully loaded for video capture, completely set up, and will literally be plug-and-capture (and VCR+TBC, and I have those available too). So that's an option you may want to consider. But it also depends on where you are. My stuff ships from USA. Are you in Canada?

There are lots and lots of AGP boards available these days. Some are high-end (dual/quad-core) and still pricey to build, and then you have tons of single core boards. It really depends on what you need/want to do:
- lossless AVI
- MPEG DVD 3-9mbps spec
- MPEG BD/broadcast 15mbps spec

What exact boards are you buying? Please link to a site with detailed info on their specs.
12-04-2017, 07:19 AM
Site Staff | Video

Dell proprietary power supplies were a big problem in the 2000s, not compatible with a lot of hardware (video capture cards, DVD drives, etc). Something like that is maybe even too old. The stock system's 512MB wasn't enough at all. You're already pushing it with only 1gb, but 2gb best as minimum.

FYI: My system #1 is half built already, dual-core motherboard and ATI AIW PCie.

Another option is an existing newer system you have, running WinVista or Win7, using the ATI 600 USB, of which I still have a couple available.

12-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry_blossom View Post
Can someone tell me the make and model of some other P4 AGP motherboards that will work well with my video card that can be purchased somewhere (new or used) in 2017?
Brand new, from Newegg: ASRock 775I65G 775 Intel 865G ATX Intel Motherboard

Takes Socket 775 Pentium 4 and Pentium D CPUs. It'll also take a limited set of Core2Duo CPUs as well.
12-06-2017, 02:16 AM
Site Staff | Video

Nice find.

Few added thoughts:
To get AGP AIW, you compromise SATA2 for SATA1, but I do that with main my system (using higher end but similar Asrock board with better Core2 CPU option). I have SATA2 on the other with PCI AIW. The system I'm rebuilding/selling is SATA2 with PCIe AIW. The SATA1 is better than my IDE build, of course, also AGP.

12-06-2017, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

In terms of pre-AHCI SATA1 interfaces, the on-board ports provided by the ICH5 south bridge tend to be the most compatible with modern SATA2 and 3 drives. Avoid anything made by VIA, which was a popular choice of PCI expansion card makers. Silicon Image chips are slightly better.
12-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Free Member

NIRoadfan

I've been building systems since I was a small guy.

I ended up leaving the last century with these - D865, D915, D975, P8Z83 .. I tried many times to go AMD or VIA.. (although) ATI was always my go to video card maker.. but reliability and a no nonsense motherboard design put out by Intel was what made it out alive. They were boring.. they were totally underwhelming.. (and out right hostile to Overclocking).. but never burned down the house.

(So sad that Intel left the motherboard business.. they made some poor quality designs sometimes, but mostly good ones).

regarding Power supplies.. near 2000 I had so many Power Supplies go up in smoke.. I was very angry and depressed.. even Corsair seemed to be putting out poor quality product then. I went through a couple of RMA exchanges with that vendor in only two years. I gave up on them. Finally I broke down and started buying Seasonic power supplies (way overkill.. I even went Full modular in case it was the quality of the cables).. and now I don't have Power supply problems.

I can only recommend or suggest, don't try to save money by buying a low cost power supply.. it will cost you more in time and trouble.
12-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
In terms of pre-AHCI SATA1 interfaces, the on-board ports provided by the ICH5 south bridge tend to be the most compatible with modern SATA2 and 3 drives. Avoid anything made by VIA, which was a popular choice of PCI expansion card makers. Silicon Image chips are slightly better.
I had a VIA in a 2003 motherboard. It never worked right, often slower than the IDE drives when it did cooperate. Strangely, a VIA on PCI did work, though still not perfect (random speeds). The SATA was so old that it had a drive size limit of about 500gb, and I forget the exact cutuff. I once tried a larger drive, and it got corrupted. Had to reformat in another system.

I really don't miss older hardware, aside from the AIW capture cards. Almost everything aside from capture is a massive improvement over what we had to suffer through in the 90s and 00s.