Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-13-2017, 09:24 AM
Free Member

I have about 40 or so old VHS tapes that I would like to transfer to a digital format.
i have an old Sharp DV-RW550, but I have only used it a few times and it has been a hassle to burn an entire
DVD only to find that there was an issue and I need to re-do it.
I have decided to get a video capture device, but found your site and in the forums there is much discussion
about TBCs, which I was not aware of.
I am wondering what options there are.

This question was asked via email. Site Staff no longer answer tech questions via email, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Two main option:
(1) send it somewhere, and let the professionals handle it; and we are an option you should consider
(2) the DIY method, and we help with that in the forum

If DIY, I would get this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...-workflow.html

That's all you'll need: JVC Pro S-VHS VCR for best quality, a green AVT or 1000 TBC, and USB capture card for the computer. That 600 can capture to MPEG or lossless, and then MPEG can be burned to DVD with minimal effort (DVD burner required). Tested gear from a reliable person.

Most of those combo decks are pretty miserable, especially anything non-pro. If you liked that sort of machine, then he also has a JVC Pro LSI DVD recorder available for sale, includes TBC, under $500 shipped. All you need with it is to use good blanks, and teaching you want to get for it is easy enough. Unlike those consumer machines, it plays nicer with blank discs.

A quality setup that gives you no hassles costs between $500 and $1k. Anything less gives you problems, as you're now seeing. That's just the nature of video.

Having 40+ VHS tapes professionally work on will be about $800+, depending on length. Sending it out is easier, about the same costs, but you have more control if you do it yourself. It's all about choices, and what you're most comfortable with. We can help you either way.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
12-13-2017, 09:26 AM
Free Member

Thank you for the thorough response.

The tapes that I am looking to transfer are old home movies, recorded on a camcorder from the 1980s and early 90s mostly. Would an S-VHS VCR provide any advantage over a standard VCR?

For the TBC-1000, I actually tried to bid on one on ebay and unfortunately did not win it. I may be interested in purchasing one of those, depending on what you have and the price, etc.

I have a USB capture device on the way and I intend to try it out with the VCR that I have (via s-video out, assuming that it makes any difference). If the quality is OK, then I guess I'm all set. But, from everything that I've been reading, I will probably at least need a TBC.

The tapes are not the greatest quality anyway, but I want to try to preserve them as best as I can.

Thanks for the advice

This question was asked via email. Site Staff no longer answer tech questions via email, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

12-13-2017, 09:26 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

It's very likely that your tapes are not just "OK", but that the low-quality VCR is making you think that is the case. Cheap VCRs make good tapes look bad. The reason to use a S-VHS VCR (not just *any* S-VHS, but specific one), is that it will make your tapes excellent, truly acrhiving all the data on the video.

Analog video signals are chaotic. An external TBC removes the chaos, allowing digital transfer.

Finally, the capture card matters. Not just *any* capture card, but specific ones known to give excellent quality.

I can appreciate trying to be cheap, but video is not an area where it can be done without obvious consequences. The plain VCR, cheap USB card, no TBC, etc -- recipe for disaster.

You need to be very wary of eBay-sold gear. Lots of supposedly "good" items are far from it. This forum is full of horror stories on recent years, where devices did not at all work as promised.

Since email is reserved for services, please continue all further DIY discussion on the forum.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.