digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Project Planning, Workflows (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/)
-   -   Let Youtube encode interlaced VHS capture? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/8683-youtube-encode-interlaced.html)

Mejnour 05-06-2018 12:54 PM

Let Youtube encode interlaced VHS capture?

Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong, if I understand correctly, youtube encode systematically in progressive format the video that are submitted?

Would you let youtube de-intelaced directly your old VHS interlaced video or do it yourself with NLE (adding one step of manipulation) i.e. make yourself the progressive conversion?

Any experience of how good youtube encoder is good with interlaced?

Thanks

lordsmurf 05-06-2018 03:41 PM

Neither.

- Youtube deinterlace is a standard quick/lousy method. It leaves a mix of jaggies and ghosting.
- NLEs are equally rotten at deinterlacing, maybe even worse.

The deinterlace is a Yadifmod at worst, and QTGMC at best. Several ffmpeg-based freewares like Avidemux have Yadif built in as a filter, while QTGMC is currently only available via Avisynth.

(The software Hybrid has a Avisynth automation built in, with QTGMC as an option, but I've never gotten it to work correctly. The only thing I hate worse than Avisynth documentation, ie lack thereof, is the install process. Worth mentioning, worth a try, but good luck.)

Mejnour 01-28-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 54061)
Neither.

- Youtube deinterlace is a standard quick/lousy method. It leaves a mix of jaggies and ghosting.
- NLEs are equally rotten at deinterlacing, maybe even worse.

The deinterlace is a Yadifmod at worst, and QTGMC at best. Several ffmpeg-based freewares like Avidemux have Yadif built in as a filter, while QTGMC is currently only available via Avisynth.

(The software Hybrid has a Avisynth automation built in, with QTGMC as an option, but I've never gotten it to work correctly. The only thing I hate worse than Avisynth documentation, ie lack thereof, is the install process. Worth mentioning, worth a try, but good luck.)

Hi LS, when you using QTGMC for deinterlacing 720x480 or 720x576, do you have at some point to also resize the video to avoid some butchery from youtube resizing/uploading processs and if yes what is your method?

https://www.h3xed.com/web-and-intern...h-optimization

lordsmurf 01-28-2019 03:25 PM

Deinterlace first, resize to 4:3 next.
720x480 is 3:2, 720x576 is 5:4, neither work as-is for viewing, without aspect distortion.

sanlyn 01-29-2019 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mejnour (Post 58959)
Hi LS, when you using QTGMC for deinterlacing 720x480 or 720x576, do you have at some point to also resize the video to avoid some butchery from youtube resizing/uploading processs and if yes what is your method?

https://www.h3xed.com/web-and-intern...h-optimization

The frame sizes shown in the link you provided are for 16:9 video, not for typical 4:3 VHS. Some of the frame sizes shown are also poor choices, since best encoding and playback is done with mod-8 frame sizes, and some of those frame sizes are not mod-8 -- which will give you some idea of one of many reasons why PoopTube is such low quality crap to begin with. It was never designed for high quality playback and never will be.

Deinterlace 4:3 video with QTGMC and resize to 640x480 using Spline36Resize. The link is correct when it states that 4:3 video will play in the PoopTube's online player with side pillars to fill the player frame. Otherwise, if you follow the clueless frame size guide in your link, your video will be stretched and distorted. If you submit 4:3 video as 640x480, the PoopTube online player will automatically add side borders when the video plays online.

You should perhaps read about aspect ratios to try and understand them. There are many sources on the internet. try Understanding Aspect Ratios .

lordsmurf 01-29-2019 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanlyn (Post 58973)
many reasons why PoopTube is such low quality crap to begin with. It was never designed for high quality playback and never will be.

I don't agree with that. Youtube quality is more about file prep and initial source quality more than anything else. The reason so many videos look bad is because the videos are simply bad. With proper filters, ideal pre-encoding, quality can be quite good. I see a lot of videos that I find impressive, and at 720p quality. The MCU trailers are one example.

One of my tasks at studios was streaming prep.

sanlyn 01-29-2019 03:08 AM

I have seen too many wrecked videos on Poopube that were properly prepped by New York broadcast techs. Results are wildly variable, depending on which PoopTube person handles the video and what they had for lunch. It's a lottery. But those mod-4 and mod-2 frame sizes are a dead giveaway.

lordsmurf 01-29-2019 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanlyn (Post 58978)
New York broadcast techs.

That never sways me. I've seen broadcasters that wouldn't know a VCR from a toaster. :laugh:
So, from that stance, I don't doubt at all you saw pro-made junk.

H.264 allows for mod2, and it's usually done due to downsizing. So I'm not sure that the mod has much to do with the image quality. I use mod2/4 myself sometimes, for personal streaming stuff, re-encoded (from a re-encode) of acquired footage. Quick dirty hobby work, to make network watchable on DLNA. The "dirty" part is reference to the AR possibly being off by a few pixels, not the image quality. Hybrid is used, nice software, for x264.

videotape_retro 02-06-2019 02:37 AM

I am trying....

I try to get the quality as good as possible for youtube. I do everything uncompressed or lossless compressed from capture to upload. I upload in ffv1 format. Captue in 10bit 422 format, BMD Resolve for corrections, Vapoursynth for deinterlacing, noise reduction, upscale .... I think I may be satisfied with the result. If it still has to look reasonably good in Youtube (poopube) you have to go to extremes to restore analog video sources.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZZ...HA8mcDw/videos