12-04-2018, 03:56 PM
Free Member

First and foremost, the info on this site while confusing at times has been invaluable in getting me this far.

Goals:
1. Create a hard disk archive copy of home movies spanning 40 years (VHS, 8mm, Hi8, DV)
2. Create a high-quality streaming version to be used with home media center (PLEX, MrMC, Infuse with ATV4 or Nvidia Shield 4k) The streaming will be done over the local network.

I'm in the process of archiving to meet goal 1 using the recommended VirtualDub AVI settings guide using a quality camcorder with SVHS->AVT-8710->AIW 9600 AGP->Windows XP Workstation. This setup has worked very well to this point and I think I have a solid archive copy of my originals.

Next thing I would like to do is split these files into individual events making it easier to find, and watch, what you're looking for.

Question 1: Is it recommended to go ahead and split the AVI files or convert to another format then split? I'm leaning towards splitting the AVI files then convert those files into a streamable friendly format.

When it comes to meeting Goal 2, creating a high-quality streaming version, I need some advice. Although my media server setup is capable of streaming the archive AVI files, I would like to recode to save hard drive space and bandwidth should I decide to stream over the internet.

Question 2: I know this is a loaded question but what format would retain the most quality while reducing the file size for a local streaming environment?

I was thinking about going with LS's MPEG-2 Broadcast Specs. That would give me a solid watchable copy yet retain the original AVI files for future editing if needed.

Thoughts?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-09-2018, 02:28 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Step 1 is to test.

I'd encode an interlaced H.264 in MKV/MP4 (try both wrappers) with either Avidemux or Hybrid (assuming you don't have the payware MainConcept TotalCode, as I do). So if everything works properly with interlaced, or if you see the lines while playing.

Personally, I use MEPG-2 broadcast specs, as my home network is all hardwired. Only wireless chokes on the 15mbit streams. Several devices here don't cooperate with interlaced H.264, and that is the norm.

I also encode with 4:2:2 when possible, not default 4:2:0. Some software doesn't give that much granular control, and I use MainConcept mostly. When capturing ATI AIW 15mbit, obviously 4:2:0 is all that is allowed. But realize that 4:2:2 is not BD spec, just broadcast legal.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-09-2018, 06:05 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the reply, LS. So since I posted these questions I went back and read, re-read, and tried to put into context the advice you've given in this area.

Based on my review, I've switched back to capturing MEPG-2 broadcast specs via the ATI AIW for 2 main reasons 1. to save time considering I have 60+ more tapes to capture before Christmas and 2. since this project is a gift for a family it's going to be a one and done so there is no need for future editing.

In my testing, there was no significant difference visually between AVI lossless and MEPG-2 broadcast specs. Of course, there was a noticeable difference between the load times using PLEX on my home network. The MPEG-2 files loaded and played immediately while the 80GB AVI's played but loaded slowly and were less responsive.

At this point, my biggest pain point is splitting the captures into events and updating the file created dates so PLEX sorts them correctly. I'm using WOMBLE MPEG-VCR but noticed MPEG Video Wizard DVD v4 in the premium members section. In your opinion is MPEG Video Wizard DVD v4 more efficient at the task of splitting MPEG-2's into multiple files?
12-09-2018, 06:37 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Test it. Sometimes one or the other, or both, act oddly with some systems. My main capture system cannot edit 15mbps MPEG2 correctly with Womble, but no such issues on my main editing system. I've never figured out why that is.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs