digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Project Planning, Workflows (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/)
-   -   Signal quality: component vs. s-video connection? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/9199-signal-quality-component.html)

JACFIS 12-03-2018 07:28 PM

Signal quality: component vs. s-video connection?

Hi everyone,
I have Tapes recorded in VHS format. These are recorded in vhs, not svhs.
I can build 2 worflow:
A: VHS player ( component cables) TBC ( component cables) Capture Card+computer
B: VHS player ( SVIDEO cables) TBC ( SVIDEO cables) Capture Card+computer
Is there any gain in signal quality if i use SVIDEO cables instead of component cables to connect the player through the computer?

JACFIS

JPMedia 12-04-2018 08:11 AM

This might seem like a matter of semantics, but specificity is important. Do you mean component (ie. green, red, and blue cables), or composite (ie. a single yellow cable)?

lordsmurf 12-04-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACFIS (Post 57562)
Hi everyone,
I have Tapes recorded in VHS format. These are recorded in vhs, not svhs.
I can build 2 worflow:
A: VHS player ( component cables) TBC ( component cables) Capture Card+computer
B: VHS player ( SVIDEO cables) TBC ( SVIDEO cables) Capture Card+computer
Is there any gain in signal quality if i use SVIDEO cables instead of component cables to connect the player through the computer?

Assuming you mean "composite", not "component", the question is backwards.
The matter isn't one of gain quality, but of losing.

The native signal on the VHS tape is separate Y/C.
Using a composite cables loses quality, by compositing (merging) the Y/C into a single signal.

The s-video cable is Y/C -- as the "s" in s-video means "separate", referring to Y and C. So you retain all of the quality of the tape. No loss in terms of output carrier.

The ideal workflow is S-VHS VCR with line TBC + external frame sync TBC, or stand-in TBC(ish) + quality capture card. s-video all the way from tape to capture.

JACFIS 12-04-2018 09:01 AM

As JPMedia said, i meant composite. (one yellow cable).

Thanks for the answer Lordsmurf. I keep completing my workflow with good quality cables.

Here is my specific workflow,
Panasonic AG-1960 SVHS player
Panasonic DMR-ES-15 DVD Recorder (passthrough)
AVT-8710 TBC (Green unit)
Radeon X1800 GTO PCIe graphic card (capture)
Capture dedicated computer Win XP

This what i found so far to digitalize my VHS recordings.

Sorry for my bad english i speak french.:depressed:
JACIS

lordsmurf 12-04-2018 09:25 AM

Your English is fine, that's just a common confusion, composite/component. :)

Is that a Radeon AIW card? Not just Radeon graphics card?
Aside from that, that looks to be a nice workflow you've built for yourself.

JACFIS 12-04-2018 12:07 PM

Lordsmurf,
for the card, i bought it used so i did not have all the details.
I got the idea from one thread on this forum (i do not have the link) and i bought the same card.
Actually i have installed the card and i can capture with VirtualDub wich i downloaded from this forum.
I may post the capture results wich i logged the images and comments in a word file.
To insert the do i just have to clic the attachement button?
JACFIS

sanlyn 12-04-2018 01:12 PM

To attach sample videos or other files to a post, use the Reply window and be sure you are in Advanced mode (click the "Go Advanced" command button at the bottom of the reply window). In advanced mode you will see a command icon to manage attachments. When the attachment dialog is open you'll see a list of allowed file types and file sizes.

The allowed max size for video samples is 99MB. If you have captured to lossless compression with Huffyuv or Lagarith, about 8 to 10 seconds of video will be less than 99MB. To prevent colorspace conversions or other changes, create your sample edited video in VirtualDub. Before saving the edited sample, click the main "Video..." menu item, then click "direct stream copy". Save the file and post it in the forum using the manage attachments dialog. Attachments are scanned for viruses or other problems during upload, so give the upload time to complete.