Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-13-2019, 07:01 PM
Free Member

So my PC just arrived and it has two PCI sound cards for some reason: a Turtle Bay Santa Cruz and a Creative Labs Audigy 2? Would love some advice on which one to use, and why, for my video conversion workflow to connect to the AIW 9800?

Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-13-2019, 07:12 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Always Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, put the Audigy in backup/recycle/whatever pile.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Free Member

Tell me how you really feel...
05-13-2019, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
I've benn using Audigy since Day one. I tried Santa Cruz. Had to give up on it6 initially because it refused to install in Windows98. Later I was able to use it in Windows 2000 after several install attempts.

No cigar, folks. Nothing about the Santa Cruz turned me on. Has about as much excitement and dynamics as a rubber firebrick. Headphones, little speakers, and big speakers prove it. I've been using Audigy ever since.

One thing is for sure: Asus audio cards, those which work for more than a few weeks, are useless.

Your move.
05-13-2019, 09:31 PM
Free Member

So it looks like we have a LordSmurf-Sanlyn audio rumble! Anyone else want to chime in?
05-13-2019, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
I'm in conspiratorial league with Lordsmurf 95% of the time.
Howcum everybody only notices the 5% ???
05-13-2019, 09:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
A 5% drama?

My issue with Creative/SoundBlaster is distortion and tinny quality. Creative/SB has always been a budget audio card, as far back as the 90s. And I didn't like it then, either.

Turtle Beach is part of Voyetra. As jwillis recently pointed out in a thread, in the 90s, and 00s (when the Santa Cruz came out), they were more into higher-end audio, the sort of products audiophiles would drool over in the B&H print catalogs. Both Turtle Beach and Voyetra invented some of the technology found in digital audio.

Turtle Beach has always reminded me of Pro Audio Spectrum/Studio cards, ISA cards that were ahead of their time in the 90s. The cards made Creative and AdLib cards, the popular cards of the day, sound wholly inferior. These cards were extremely popular among the advanced hobby and pro/semi-pro audio crowd. I had the PAS back in 93/94, and my digital audio knowledge actually pre-dates my digital video knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_Beach_Systems
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_..._AudioSpectrum

Now then, I don't want to come down on the Audigy too hard here. In terms of Creative distortion/tinny issues, the Audigy wasn't as bad as cards before it, nor some that came after it. The biggest issue was it hated ATI AIW setups all through the 00s, usually due to the motherboards (VIA, especially).

I have an Audigy in my backup box, so I'm not saying it's fit only for the landfill. But rather given a competition between the two cards, I don't consider it a competition at all. The only way I'd install the Audigy is if the TBSC totally didn't work, or had some sort of weird error that cause the system to reject it entirely. And that seems to be what sanlyn ran into. It happens.

Both are usually better than the onboard option.

Note that some of the distortion/tinny issues can't be heard on low-quality speakers. It's not until using reference/near-reference, or even just good home audio gear, sometimes even just a good set of TV speakers, that you notice. Anybody using $50 or less compute speakers will never hear a difference.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs