05-11-2019, 10:51 PM
Free Member

Following the great advise here, I am in the process of assembling this workflow for lossless capture using VirtualDub:

Hi8 Camcorder > TBC-1000 > ATI AIW 9800 > PC

I have also installed the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI audio card as advised, and now I am confused.

The AIW 9800 requires the use of a purple input block that contains both S-Video and RCA R-L inputs. I am obviously connecting the S-Video output from the TBC-1000 into the S-Video input of the purple block, but where am I connecting the RCA audio output from the TBC-1000?

Do I plug them into the TB card and then run another pair of RCA cables from the TB card to the purple block so that both video and audio are inputted through the AIW 9800, or does VirtualDub take the audio directly from the TB card, and so the purple inputs remain empty?

And, while I'm on the subject, why is the TB card better for this workflow then just using the existing RCA jacks on the 9800 purple block from the TBC-1000 directly?

Thanks everyone for your help!

... or do the audio leads bypass the TBC altogether and go straight from the camcorder to the TB card/AIW 9800 card?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-12-2019, 09:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
TBSC card connects to
- ATI internally via AUX cabling (best),
- or ATI output bundle with mini jack (next best),
- or directly wire audio from VCR to RCA>mini convert (worst)

Bypass TBC audio unless distro amp is needed, and it doesn't seem needed from your post. Consider audio on TBC-1000 useless extra feature,

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Free Member

So, to confirm: the RCA audio cables go directly from the outputs on the camcorder/vcr to the inputs on the TBSC card, which is then connected internally to the ATI card via an AUX cable(s). Is that (those) AUX cable(s) included with either the ATI or TBSC cards? Neither card has arrived yet and I'm just trying to lay it all out in my mind and make sure I don't need any other cabling. Also, is it obvious on both cards where this AUX cabling goes?
05-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

No.

Audio out from camera/VCR
> into ATI purple box + ATI connected to TBSC with internal AUX wiring

Done.

05-12-2019, 10:19 AM
Free Member

So the TBSC card is sort of a post processing audio enhancement before it hits VirtualDub? I had thought for some reason that it was put into the workflow stream before the ATI card, but evidently after.

Is this AUX cable included with the ATI card or is it something I need to pick up later? If so, where do I find such a cable and what is it called?

Also, since I don't think you responded to this earlier to this, do you run your monitor in your workflow on the same ATI 9800 AIW card? Would it make sense to run a separate PCI card for the monitor to keep the 9800 fully working on video capture, or does that not make any sense? I imagine if the 9800 has both an input port and monitor port that it is designed to handle both at maximum efficiency without any problems?

And finally... can I assume that I need to remove the older Sound Blaster sound card installed in the computer? Is there any benefit (not for video capture but generally) to having a second sound card installed, or is that not done?
05-12-2019, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavilion View Post
Also, since I don't think you responded to this earlier to this, do you run your monitor in your workflow on the same ATI 9800 AIW card? Would it make sense to run a separate PCI card for the monitor to keep the 9800 fully working on video capture, or does that not make any sense? I imagine if the 9800 has both an input port and monitor port that it is designed to handle both at maximum efficiency without any problems?
Run your monitor with the ATI 9800 AIW. sanyln said just as much in a response to one of your previous posts. Do NOT use a secondary PCI graphics card for your monitor.
The following users thank JPMedia for this useful post: bigkazzyry (05-13-2019)
05-12-2019, 03:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
So the TBSC card is sort of a post processing audio enhancement
No. The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is the audio card, and it captures the audio in an ATI AIW setup. The ATI AIW does not capture audio, just passes the analog signal to the audio card. This passing can be done with internal AUX connection, or the output mini. Or just route around the ATI AIW entirely, go direct to audio card (but again, less suggested method).

Quote:
before it hits VirtualDub?
Both audio and video are digitized before VirtualDub. VirtualDub gets the raw digital signal and encodes it to a file (uncompressed, lossless, or even lossy).

Quote:
Is this AUX cable included with the ATI card
No.

Quote:
or is it something I need to pick up later? If so, where do I find such a cable and what is it called?
Buy this: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...m/122835107383

Quote:
Also, since I don't think you responded to this earlier to this, do you run your monitor in your workflow on the same ATI 9800 AIW card? Would it make sense to run a separate PCI card for the monitor to keep the 9800 fully working on video capture, or does that not make any sense?
Makes no sense.
ATI AIW must be graphics, the end. Outputs to monitor. Input from video.

Quote:
And finally... can I assume that I need to remove the older Sound Blaster sound card installed in the computer?
Yes.

Quote:
Is there any benefit (not for video capture but generally) to having a second sound card installed, or is that not done?
Not done, will only cause conflicts.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: bigkazzyry (05-13-2019)
05-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Free Member

All terrific answers, so thank you very much.

When you say: "Both audio and video are digitized before VirtualDub." you mean the video is digitized by ATI and the audio is digitized by TBSC (having been passed from ATI), both of which are then fed to the computer and VirtualDub. Correct?
05-12-2019, 03:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
When you say: "Both audio and video are digitized before VirtualDub." you mean the video is digitized by ATI and the audio is digitized by TBSC (having been passed from ATI), both of which are then fed to the computer and VirtualDub. Correct?
Yes, correct.

05-12-2019, 03:26 PM
Free Member

Thanks! Think I got it now...