Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Development, Design

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Free Member

Here is the best nature photo web site period. No contest, no one even close... http://www.jessespeer.com -- Interesting, a customized Wordpress template with Photoshelter running in the background. Love to get your opinion. I'm definitely rebuilding my site from scratch and am willing to put several months into it. Like to hear what you say when you get a chance to look it over carefully.

This question was asked via email. Site Staff no longer answer tech questions via email, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

It's not WP + "Photoshelter running in the background" -- it's WordPress powering the main site. Nice theme. Only the archive is Photoshelter. Watch the URLs. CSS controls both designs to match. I think that Frankenstein job is difficult to do. I know I wouldn't do it. Not sure I can, without a lot of time spent experimenting with code.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Free Member

Now, now, I'm not asking you to build it. Just what you think is doable after all is put together and up and running---if possible. The info at the Wordpress template site, talks about the integration with Photoshelter: http://graphpaperpress.com/photoshel...s-integration/

I know a lot of photographers are using Photoshelter. But some are using a photoshelter site in addition to their regular site (not sure that makes sense but...). So, I guess the first question is whether or not photoshelter is worth the time and cost, it's an annual fee. The cool thing about photoshelter is that you have full res masters of your images loaded into the database so buyers can virtually buy or download pretty much anything/any size they need almost. That's pretty cool.

Then I think the second question is whether or not to use some type of customizable Wordpress template when rebuilding the site. Really, once the site is set up I don't think it would require a lot of updating other than image galleries and the blog.

But either way I'm hoping to have the following in the site rebuild:
* Ease of updating
* Ease of buyers to download images and buy prints
* Works across platforms, desktops, laptops and yes tablets...
* Good SEO
* Great design/layout/ease of navigation for visitor
08-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

No, I know you're looking to build something yourself. I just meant that it looked hard to me, even with instructions. Trying to mix platforms, and maintain design + functionality (menus, etc) can be a real chore, even when somebody has years of experience. I think you'd find it impossible to do. That is, unless you're happy running the base template everybody else is doing, making your site look like just another photo site. That may not be good for business. It also won't impress your peers, which can account for some things when networking.

Like you've hinted at, I also don't see the wisdom in mixing sites. I would just use Smugmug, or Photoshelter, or the DIY WordPress option, or even something else entirely. But I'd just pick one. As nice as that guy's site looked, the navigation was a trainwreck, a hodgepodge of content. I did'nt understand the difference between archives and galleries, for example.

Once a site is set up, no, it needs little work. The worst part is making sure it's fully secured, so it can't get hacked easily. Some of that relies on more plugins, but some of it requires server-side coding. I've done a lot of stuff to protect my sites, and sites I do for others. Staying on top of core code updates can be important, too. So it's not 100% work-free, but it is not demanding.

The only systems that make buying "easy" are the pay ones. Anything else will require your manual coding (i.e., Paypal links per photo), unless you want a shopping cart system (like Magento), which is designed for products and not necessarily photos. I will say, however, that if I ever try to sell my photos again, I'd look at Magento first, before dismissing it entirely. I want to use WordPress for my own portfolio site, but there's no intention of selling from there. What I might actually do is set a portfolio up, and then hard link to Magento cart pages if anybody wants to buy. Now THAT'S got some potential! (Another good option is VP-ASP.) Shopping cart systems have a unique ability to suggest you buy other items, often due to manual setup in the backend, and I've not seen a WordPress plugin that does anything like that. (Well, there are some "related articles" plugins, but that's not the same thing at all.)

While that may seem like I'm trying to "mix sites", I'm not. I would use two different (but complementary) designs, and the two sites have different goals. One is portfolio, one is for sales. If they find portfolio first, then it moves to sales. I could use an entirely different domain for both sites, but I'd more likely opt for a singular domain. The homepage would be a nice splash page, with a choice to enter the portfolio, or to enter the store. So myphotosite.com with myphotosite.com/portfolio (WordPress) and myphotosite.com/store (Magento). That's what I'd look at, as both are "free" platforms. Of course, my servers are tweaked to run Magento, and have the resources to do so. Inexpensive shared hosting isn't necessarily cooperative with Magento.

WordPress in and of itself does not look good on all platforms, all browsers, etc. That does take some CSS still, and proper image use in the site design. Some themes do, some do not. Of course, as soon as you start editing the code for your own unique design, all bets are off. Testing will be required. I've had a hell of a time getting mine to look good everywhere, but it does now. IE6+, FF3+, Safari4+, Chrome, K-Meleon, few others. On average, IE+FF are about 40% each, with Chrome+Safari making up about 4% each, with 2% random crap that I don't care about.

WordPress in and of itself does not come with stellar SEO, but it's decent. Better than most. That takes tweaking, too, to make it exceptional. Some of this can be done with plugins, but that generally just adds to resource use by the site. You're better off just tweaking the code. (Phillip has become really good at this.)

Honestly, it's all about navigation. If they can find what they want, without being digusted by the design, and the content is good, you're all set. With a photo site, you probably need to do more than simply "not disgust" the viewer, but be able to wow them. The SEO helps them find the site. Everything else affects what happens when they get there.

I need to get my Magento demo back up, so you can look at it. There's no longer anything I've built running live anymore, all of those clients have folded. Recession has hit a lot of folks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
07-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I remember this old post. The photographer was (is still being?) convicted of being a rapist.

Quote:
Jesse P. Speer is being held on a $2 million bond on charges of kidnapping, aggravated assault and using a gun in the commission of a felony. He hasn't entered a plea.
Authorities said Speer, a nature photographer who previously lived in Colorado with his former wife, told investigators he had been shooting photos in the Cody area around the time of the abduction.
That guy disappeared off the web.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!