digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Web Development, Design (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-design/)
-   -   Need a website developed for classifieds site? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-design/4605-website-developed-classifieds.html)

umerseoig 09-26-2012 07:38 AM

Need a website developed for classifieds site?

I would like to know how much would you charge to develop a classified website?

Features:
- Memberships (regular/paid)
- Paid members can create a Store online (like etsy), and can post ad for each product uploaded on their store.
- Paid members can post links and more than 3 images
- Regular members can post only 1 Image
- Regular members can not post Links
- Only registered users can post Ads
- Disallow Duplicate content Posting
- Designing the Website
- Disallowing Code in Comment/Review box
- Designing the Template

I don't mind using a CMS like, Wordpress, OS Class, Joomla, Drupal, or even a custom made CMS.

Please give me ur bids.. Inbox me

kpmedia 09-26-2012 06:20 PM

When it comes to creating a website, you have to weigh several options. The primary one is costs. To manage costs, you can use an already-available CMS of some kind, which you've already mention (WP, Drupal, etc, etc). Some are freeware, some are commercial paid apps that just run a few hundred dollars. In all, even after paying a developer, you can end up with a project that only runs into 4-digit overall costs to create.

However, the tradeoff for using an existing system is often that you'll need to bend or sacrifice some on your project specs. Sometimes the functionality you want has to be done in a different way than you envisioned. Other times, you just have to do without it. (And honestly, a lot of clients ask for things that are not really needed for their online business or online tool to perform the end-goal task as desired.)

To create something entirely unique, you'll have to generally have to pay a developer for custom work, and good work always comes with a 5-figure price tag. Anything cheaper, and you tend to get amateur/stolen work, which is the topic of your other thread.

The only way to get free/3-digit pricing is to entirely do it yourself, without any developer assistance.

So, with all of that in mind...

This sounds a lot like an auction platform, though I do know of a classified platform that may come close.
But I do see a few problems:

--- Paid members can create a Store online (like etsy), and can post ad for each product uploaded on their store.
This would be difficult to do, unless you consider an eBay-style "store" (directory/list of all current auctions/classifieds) to be okay.

--- Paid members can post links and more than 3 images
--- Regular members can post only 1 Image
Most classified/auctions systems don't limit image attachments per usergroup, but on a global level. At most, it's on/off.

--- Disallow Duplicate content Posting
This is also not something I've ever seen in use. The reason is because repeat ads are encouraged. More money for the site.

Everything else appears to be fairly standard, or not too difficult (relatively speaking) to implement.

If you'd like to inquire further about having The Digital FAQ create this site, contact us. This is a project I'd handle, and I could go over pricing and other pre-project details with you. As a rough ballpark estimate, a project like this would require anywhere from 40-80 hours, and be a minimum of $5,000 -- which is actually somewhat fast, and on the lower end of fair pricing scales. (It also assumes using a platform or two that I have in mind.)

Thanks. :)

umerseoig 09-27-2012 01:49 AM

1. I don't mind ETSY or ebay or even amazon style store

2. Craiglist would be an example of not posting duplicate content. Users will be able to post more Ads, just with not the same text.

3. Custom made CMS or any other like Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla is fine with me.

4. The paid member would be able to post an for the Product they have uploaded on their site.

5. Stolen Theme, that is exactly what I mean, and I was a newbie at that time didn't know much about all this, when I got the site developed.

kpmedia 09-27-2012 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umerseoig (Post 23137)
2. Craiglist would be an example of not posting duplicate content. Users will be able to post more Ads, just with not the same text.

I have a feeling you're approaching this with SEO in mind, and not the potential customers. You're really not going to get penalized from having a customer that posts the same ad over and over. It's not like the whole site is going to be stolen/dupe content. On the other hand, clients that are disallowed from re-posting their ad are going be fairly upset and annoyed.

Again, if interested in having The Digital FAQ develop it, contact us.

Thanks. :)

umerseoig 09-27-2012 03:59 AM

Exactly, I don't want any duplicate content, especially after Panda updates and the penguin. the issue with these type of sites is that not many potential customers come to list their Ad, but most of the people are link builders and spammers. So i just wish to avoid that...

kpmedia 09-27-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umerseoig (Post 23143)
Exactly, I don't want any duplicate content, especially after Panda updates and the penguin. the issue with these type of sites is that not many potential customers come to list their Ad, but most of the people are link builders and spammers. So i just wish to avoid that...

eBay allows near-infinite relistings, and it works because they expire old classifieds/auctions after 90 or so days. I forget the exact amount of time before the ad is purged from the system, but that seems to work fairly well for them. eBay does decently in SERPs, though not nearly as well as 10-15 years ago. (I've been an eBay user since 1998. I first found it via AltaVista, or the newsgroups.)

I don't use Craigslist very often, but I could have sworn it also purged ads after a few months.

Link builders won't get much of a bounce from expiring ads, so in a way that situation would take care of itself.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about dupe content in regards to classified space. That's the norm, and always has been. Plus anybody placing an ad there is likely to place it on another site -- and it's going to be impossible to run a trace against the entire Internet to avoid dupes. When it comes to SEO, dupes on other sites is what does you in -- not dupes on your own site.

Realize I've been doing SEO since before that term even existed. ;)

umerseoig 09-27-2012 04:23 AM

Haha, i agree, even I'm an SEO, but clearly not as experienced as you are.. I've just jumped in to it, so want to avoid any In-Page duplicity, as I'm not really good with Canonical and cannibalization.. Actually I have never tried it before..

So just kinda confused.

lordsmurf 09-27-2012 05:07 AM

Creating canonical meta data, and writing proper .htaccess/web.config syntax isn't too difficult. That takes care of duplication caused by www vs non-www URLs. That's the most common kind of canonical issue you'll run into, and is the most damaged of on-site duplicate content penalties. You should also set up canonical URL from within Google Webmaster Tools.

I don't see where cannibalization comes into play here. Maybe there's some part of your business plan that's not yet been mentioned? A good modern tech example of cannibalization is Adobe Lightroom vs Adobe Photoshop. Now that Lightroom exists, it's eaten into the sales of Photoshop, which is a higher-priced software. Of course, it's not that basic -- other factors come into play. For example, lower-than-PS priced LR may allow for more adopters. Some may buy both. So concepts like cannibalization are not always easy to analyze.

umerseoig 09-27-2012 05:20 AM

My head is clear now :)

Thanks guys for all the help..