digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Web Development, Design (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-design/)
-   -   Need help solving FTP errors in Dreamweaver CS5.5 (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-design/4770-solving-ftp-errors.html)

Mr. Rey 12-02-2012 09:33 AM

Need help solving FTP errors in Dreamweaver CS5.5

I "put" (published, uploaded) a website through Dreamweaver CS5.5 and I ended up getting 4 put errors. I checked and compared the pages code with the others that were successfully "put" but I couldn't find anything to give me a clue about what's wrong. How do I find out what the errors were?

Update:

Sorry, they were FTP errors not "put" errors. Would updating all my pages help? (modify -> templates -> update pages)

Mr. Rey 12-02-2012 07:31 PM

FTP Errors

Sorry, but I don't know how to delete my first posts so I had to start a new one.

I uploaded a website today through Dreamweaver 5.5 and I got 4 FTP errors.

I remember that I changed the name servers on the domain name account yesterday and Stablehost said that it should take 12-48 hrs. Would this be the reason for the FTP errors?

I'm not sure if it is because when I tested the server connection today through dreamweaver it was fine.

I also hear that people that use Dreamweaver 5.5 seem to have this problem often.

admin 12-03-2012 08:55 AM

I've gone ahead and just merged the two threads. You, me, and anybody else reading this can figure it out. :)

When a domain is new, or when a domain's DNS records have been changed, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for it to respond by name. Examples: ftp.domain.com, www.domain.com, mail.domain.com, etc. I actually prefer to use an IP address when accessing a server via FTP -- mostly because that's how we had to do it many years ago (1990s), and I see no reason to change my methodology.

However, none of that should apply here. If one file went through, then DNS is propagated, and your FTP issue is unrelated. (It seems the Stablehost tech gave a silly answer. Even good hosts have techs that goof once in a while.)

Where here any details for the errors? If so, what were the files that were rejected? In fact, were files even rejected? Perhaps some of this is "hidden" in a log somewhere on your computer. I've not used Dreamweaver upload facility in at least a decade now, but it surely dumps a log somewhere.

Let me look into it some...

.... and after looking around Adobe.com, here it is: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/g...g-ftp-log.html

See if that helps. :)

Mr. Rey 12-03-2012 10:21 AM

I got it to upload. I forgot to add the root directory (public_html).

Which silly answer that the Stablehost tech gave are you talking about?

The site is online but now the problem is that there's no page title or description. What's showing is: Index of, and Name last modified etc.

I put the title and meta tag description in my index page. Could this be because google is still indexing my sitemap?

Thanks for the adobe link, too.

Mr. Rey 12-03-2012 10:25 AM

Sorry, I forgot to ask another question.

Could it be because I used a template and added the meta tags after?

JMP 01-31-2013 12:54 AM

What does it show in your browsers bar for the title?
Also looking at the view page source, does it show the meta for the title?

If its with google that its not showing up for, they usually take a week or two to update their cache.

-JMP

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)