06-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Free Member

Grid Layout Example
www.tastespotting.com

For a noob, how difficult is it to design something like the above? For a web designer or web developer, is this a piece of cake?

I cannot find a theme with a grid layout. Can this be done by tweaking an existing theme or does it need to be built from scratch?

I don't have a lot to spend as this is my first website and I vaguely understand HTML and CSS. What are my options to building a grid layout?

Have you used Dynamik Website Builder by CobaltApps? Is Dynamik something a noob can use to build a grid layout website?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-09-2014, 06:33 AM
Premium Member

Are you using a CMS? Wordpress? Drupal?

If you are looking for just the layout Drupal+Zen+Fences is a good start but that just gives you the grid. You'll need some basic to intermediate HTML and CSS knowledge to take it from there.
The following users thank thecoalman for this useful post: Leah (06-10-2014)
06-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Free Member

Hi @TheCoalMan

Thanks, I'll take a look at Drupal/Zen/Fences. I was plan on using Wordpress. I was looking at 'drag and drop website builders' where you can build websites without coding. I messed around with the online demo for the Headway theme, but I couldn't find a way to customize posts. Wish building websites was as easy as using Microsoft Publisher. Lol
06-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

I've messed around with site builders and I have found them all to be terrible to tell you the truth. One thing to be aware of is if the site builder is offered for free by the larger hosts it's usually proprietary and impossible to export to another host.

Stick with Drupal, WordPress or some other major open source project. There is learning curve but worth it in the end.

First site I built was with MS Word going back to about 2000, the only thing I use to edit now is Notepad++. Once you learn HTML and CSS the possibilities are endless. I can only imagine where I'd be at now if CMS systems like Drupal were available back in 2000.

Tags
dynamik website builder, grid layout