09-25-2018, 07:46 AM
Free Member

I use Site Ground and Namecheap for my Websites based on your recommendations and I love them both - thanks.

My cousin has beautiful art books to sell. We have built a website with all the information about the books. We need to hookup to a payment service so people can make purchases.

It looks like PayPal has the tools and a secure payment method that allows Visa, Mastercard as well as PayPal to be used to make payments.

1. Is PayPal the best of such services?

So, we would install buttons that link customers to PayPal. PayPal must be a secure system (https) to handle the money.

2.Must the informational website we have built be
secure, too?

Any other tips to allow customers to make purchases would be appreciated. Many Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-25-2018, 09:22 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve2useDFAQ View Post
I use Site Ground and Namecheap for my Websites based on your recommendations and I love them both - thanks.
Glad to hear it.

Quote:
My cousin has beautiful art books
Books, plural? If so, how many? (For the moment, I'm assuming a low number...)

Quote:
to sell. We have built a website with all the information about the books. We need to hookup to a payment service so people can make purchases.
It looks like PayPal has the tools and a secure payment method that allows Visa, Mastercard as well as PayPal to be used to make payments.
1. Is PayPal the best of such services?
So, we would install buttons that link customers to PayPal. PayPal must be a secure system (https) to handle the money.
That would be my initial inclination, yes. Just embed Paypal buttons to a site, to keep it simple. A full e-commerce/CRM solution is probably not needed. That just adds another layer of complication to a site, and when you're just getting started, KISS (keep it simple, stupid) is suggested. Even long-term, the Paypal buttons may be all you need. Paypal has a fairly good button maker, though it seems a bit hidden, and sometimes isn't the most user friendly. But once setup, those work nicely.

We have a couple on the 404 page: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/404.htm
More here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/donate.htm

Quote:
2.Must the informational website we have built be secure, too?
These days, all sites should use SSL, but the basic free LetsEncrypt SSL is fine. I don't recall if Namecheap or SiteGround has the free autoSSL enabled in cPanel, but they should. Even if not, a cert is about $10 per year. All that said, realize that all financial transaction happen on the Paypal site anyway, nothing happens on yours, so technically it can be non-SSL if you insist.

Quote:
Any other tips to allow customers to make purchases would be appreciated. Many Thanks.
Payment aside, the biggest key to allowing a customer to do anything is to get the customer to begin with. So be sure you have a adequate advertising and marketing in place.

And as a photographer that enjoys art, post a link to this site when his site is up.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: L0ve2useDFAQ (09-26-2018)
09-26-2018, 11:00 PM
Free Member

These are 2 children's books and 2 related posters. The books and posters are built on my cousin's (a woman) artistic illustrations. You can see the incomplete website.

Thanks for validating the use of PayPal.

Thanks also for the tip on LetsEncrypt SSL. I had not heard of it. Thanks for your enlightenment on the need for security on the info side of the website.

When we have it all up and running, I will post back on Digital FAQ.

Your forum is a beacon of clarity and integrity in a fog of Internet information. Thank you!
05-21-2020, 05:22 AM
Free Member

Yes, PayPal is a safe source to transact money.
Yes, you need to get an SSL certificate for your website. Because you are going to handle critical information about your customers.
And it is an unsaid mandate that it is your responsibility to handle the security of their information if they choose to share that with you.

Tags
website customer payments