Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Free Member

Hi KPMedia!

Thanks for your insights again!!

Well I've gotten 3 months free of charge from JPC for their lack of service and true downtimes..

So I have until Sept 2013 next year to think for my friend, where to move off next.

Reseller Hosting vs VPS :

Would Reseller hosting be as reliable as VPS ?

I need to get at least Reseller hosting for him cos we need to share the hosting among a few people. Myself included. (I know Reseller hosting is shared hosting essentially, so no dedicated ram / CPU, but that's all I know the difference)

And I really prefer having my own Cpanel, rather than lump together with his. So I guess pure shared hosting (Enterprise or not) is out of the question.

And which Host is good for Reseller hosting?

The fact is, I wish to have his company pay less for the next Webhost if he cannot get anyone else to share the cost, given his work schedule is very packed -- its hard. (with me being the freeloader for helping him out in managing the webhost)...

Your thoughts please?

Regards

Faustine
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I've added more to my reply here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...html#post21526
And some of that will help in answering your questions in this post. So go read that over.

On to your questions:

1. Would reseller hosting be as reliable as VPS?

Well, it depends on what you mean by "reliable". Since both are technically a type of shared hosting, there are potentials for abuse in either environment. (Yes, a VPS is shared. It still shares I/O and bandwidth, and sometimes CPU.)

I use or have used reseller hosting from companies like EuroVPS, Stream101, SpeedySparrow, Stablehost, MDDHosting, Hawkhost and others with no problems whatsoever. At the same time, I've used VPS from some of those same hosts -- and others, like Futurehosting, Knownhost, JaguarPC, etc -- and also have had no issues.

This is why selecting a good host can matter more than the type of hosting. At a good host, everything should work well. Good hosts also tend to offere only a few services they're good at -- not everything under the sun. It's the hosts that pretend to be experts at everything that you should avoid (myHosting.com is a good example of a host that makes me cringe).

2. And I really prefer having my own Cpanel

That would mean reseller or VPS. If VPS, you may have to buy the cPanel license extra, depending on the package offered by the hosts. If you've decided to leave JaguarPC, then I'd instead look at Futurehosting or Knownhost. Both have California locations that should do well for your Asian traffic and location.

3. And which Host is good for Reseller hosting?

Hawkhost, Stablehost and MDD Hosting are all excellent.

- Stablehost is in Phoenix, which is essentially the west coast, so that may be a good choice for you.
- Hawkhost has datacenters in Singapore, so that's an added consideration.
- If you're worried about resource use, consider asking Stablehost for the price of a custom "enterprise reseller" account, and explain your situation -- i.e., that you want VPS-like resources, but need to have two separate cPanel logins. They may work with you on it.

If you have any further questions on this topic, just reply and ask.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Free Member

Hi KPMedia,

Thanks for your insightful reply, amidst your busy schedule.

JaguarPC: I'm definitely pulling my friend's company hosting out as soon as we have the chance! They are growing into a very unprofessional and hated support service to us! haha... ironic..

Hawkhost : though has a SG DC, heard the speed etc is not so good due to the fact that it loops back to NTT in Japan.... So for myself, I may gear towards just getting Hawkhost's shared hosting for my not so demanding needs

Situations changed, and I think its better not to share with my friend's company hosting (rather get paid a min. amount).
More replies in my other posting!

-- merged --

LOL... my friend is persuading me to tag into his VPS or whatever hosting in future till my business is up on track....
So back here I am... LOL.. Stablehost or Hawkhost... Will Black Friday deals be better for Reseller hostings too? Maybe I should open another thread : Reseller hosting!!
08-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustine View Post
Maybe I should open another thread : Reseller hosting!!
Yes.

Let's continue this conversation here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...tablehost.html
And then we'll consider this VPS topic closed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.