Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Free Member

Hello..

About Futurehosting: There is this Future Engineer Standard option, is this required? Its a payable add on....
Well I'm not sure how my friend would be able to up his budget to get Futurehosting if JPC doesn't work for us.
Or you think I should get him to switch to Futurehosting with the lowest plan, since he doesn't need all that space now... then in future then upgrade to the 50GB space? Is there any upgrading promotion for existing customers?

Just seeking your opinion, in case we need to shift......

Thank you.

This question has been split from another post or thread. This was done in order to address the topic more in depth, make it easier to find via forum searches, as well as prevent the other post/thread from going too far off-topic. Please continue this part of the conversation here. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Free Member

Any views?

My friend is now facing problems even sending small attachments via email to his supplier.. @ JPC Atlanta DC now... Hope the shift to LA will help...
05-31-2012, 11:36 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
There is this Future Engineer Standard option, is this required?
Futurehosting operates from a good menu model of hosting. In the unmanaged (self-managed) hosting industry, they've created a premium-grade service.
It operates using:
- multiple datacenters around the world (mostly USA and Europe),
- quality hardware,
- quality bandwidth,
- commercial software infrastructure (Virtuozzo, not OpenVZ/KVM/etc),
- and an in-house customer support panel that (in my opinion) surpasses both WHMCS and Parallels BA.

That all takes money. So their base plans (512MB, no panel) start at about $25/monthly.
Compare it to hosts who cut corners on hardware, commercial software, etc, and that's how you get cheap VPS plans in the $5-15 range.

Now in addition to the standard VPS, you can require further software licenses (panels) and managed support (reactive or proactive).
- cPanel and Plesk are available at the amazingly low price of about $4 bundled into a with-panel VPS plan.
- Reactive management ("Help me install/do ___.") is another $5/monthly, which is very inexpensive.
- Or proactive management is $13/month, which is also inexpensive.

Now when it comes to their managed support, I'd say it was good, but maybe not "premium" necessarily, though it comes close. At a premium host, most all techs tend to know everything, within a wide girth of usual tasks, including non-basic tasks. For example, how to install RoundCube into a Plesk VPS. At a non-premium host, you get levels of comprehension between techs, so they may play "musical techs" (musical chairs) a bit, until the right tech knows how to do what you need done. But FH isn't bad by any means.

If you want managed hosting, order the management off the menu.

Sometimes their coupon deals (which we post in this forum's Online Shopping Deals subforum) include managed plans.

I used Futurehosting's reactive management, and it was fine.
I tried their proactive hosting when it first came out, and was underwhelmed. But that was a while ago; it's probably better now.

For comparison sake, I do proactive VPS management for a limited number of clients, and it comes out to $29/month for standard service after the first month. The first month is more, because properly securing a server, and tweaking it for the needs of the user, can take a number of hours. And our pricing for management is so cheap that sometimes people won't even take it seriously. So FH pricing of $13/month is a ridiculously low. Note that most of our clients opt for more than the standard service, too -- so it's more than $29/monthly (help with PR, SEO, CMS management, etc).

Quote:
Or you think I should get him to switch to Futurehosting with the lowest plan, since he doesn't need all that space now... then in future then upgrade to the 50GB space? Is there any upgrading promotion for existing customers?
When you buy a VPS, you're mostly buying the RAM in the plan. Disk space is secondary.

You really need 512MB bare minimum for a cPanel VPS (possibly cutting off services like SpamAssassin or mail entirely), 768MB minimum to run all default services, and then 1GB is suggested for smoothest operations when getting some mild traffic. For heavy traffic, 2GB to 4GB is suggested. One of our cPanel VPS is 8GB at EuroVPS, because of what it has running. Disk space use is minimal, and CPU use is minimal. It's the RAM that gets used. The VPS mostly runs applications and email, not sites.

Quote:
Just seeking your opinion, in case we need to shift......
Don't be this guy:

kpmedia-grassgreener-watermarked.jpg

The grass isn't always greener. Sometimes it just gets your head stuck in a fence.

Note that this is NOT just a photo I randomly found online -- it's one of my own photographs from around 2007 or 2008. Shortly after shooting this image, I had to help the dumb@ss goat get his head out of the fence. Goats make this horrible noise ("MA-AA-AHHH!!!! MA-AA-AHHHH!!!!"), which sort of sounds like a sheep crying and screaming at the same time, when stuck in a fence. And while you may be trying to help the goat, he/she doesn't understand this. So they're fighting both you and the fence, which can really injure them in the process.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
05-31-2012, 11:53 PM
Free Member

LOL!!

Thanks for your long and insightful reply.. I'm seeing stars already...

The fact now is... he cannot afford any higher than USD 26 (that's what we're paying now with JPC)...

JPC has a lot of musical chairs going around....................... and round.... and round........
I'm really a goner.. me putting him through all that stress.. lol ..
Can you imagine that? Unable to properly send out an urgent email with a small attachment at 4am Singapore time? Geez...

Is VPS really that good? Really better than any form of Shared hosting?

06-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
A VPS is better in the sense that you can customize the environment. For example:
- Give more RAM to PHP and MySQL
- Tweak timeout of PHP and MySQL
- Adjust upload sizes for PHP and MySQL
- Replace the default Apache or LiteSpeed webserver with nginx, or marry it to a cache like Varnish
- Use it to upload and store large files, like downloads to software or videos. (This site, for example, has a lot of sample videos for videographers.)

Shared hosting is like your parents at dinner time: "Eat what we gave you."

They setup the shared server for what they wanted to provide, and you either use it or you don't. No customization, even if it makes things better for you. Shared servers are best used by basic websites for small business, mommy blogs, hobby sites, etc. When you want to run anything serious -- forums, for example -- then you'll really benefit from tweaking the LAMP/LNMP stack and server settings. It makes sites faster, more stable, able to perform better to your needs, etc.

JPC is not a premium host, in terms of support. Musical chairs is expected. But your service is commensurate to what you're paying for. It's still very good, but you'll need to have some patience when it comes to speed and effectiveness, especially if it's a non-basic support need. Know that support easily gets worse (with other hosts), not better. Again, the grass isn't necessarily greener*, and you could just as easily get your head stuck in the fence trying to taste it.

* Note:
I'm not sure if this quote -- "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." -- is well-known in Asia.

A good definition would be this: Other options may seem more desirable, but often are not.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Free Member

Well the Grass is not always greener... I agree...

Too bad I do not have the moolah myself to get a taste of the grass over at FutureHosting

Its too high cost for me, till I really have some profits from my small business....

Thanks for your enlightenment.

I need to go learn how to customise the VPS via the WHM.. I see the many options... it gives me stars... lol