LinkBack Thread Tools
09-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Free Member

What do you think an average uptime is?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

It really depends on the host or server admin, as well as the purpose of the server/hosting.
For example, I have some development servers that are off more than on. (If it's turned off -- it can't get attacked.)
So uptime is purposely less than 50%.

Most people have sites/apps made to run 24/7/365, and I'd say most hosting runs at some increment between 99-100% uptime.

A 30-day month has 720 hours.
- 99% uptime would have 8.2 hours of downtime per month. For most people, that's too much.
- 99.5% would be about 4 hours.
- 99.75% would be about 2 hours
- 99.88% would be 1 hour
- 99.95% would be less than 30 minutes per month.

More than anything else, downtime is scheduled or required for daily/weekly/monthly tasks.
That can include anything from software updates by the server admin, to content updates by the website owner/manager.

______

Need a good web host? — Read our 2018 Review of the Best Web Hosts
Quite often, problems with web sites are caused by having a rotten web host. Worse yet, many hosts try to blame you (the customer) for the problems! So dump that lousy company. Say goodbye to slow sites, unresponsive support techs, and downtime. Find yourself a new host today. Whether you need shared, reseller, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or dedicated hosting, something on our list should be a good upgrade for you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.