Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Free Member

Hey there,

Thanks for replying to my thread. Do you think you could elaborate a bit more (preferably in my thread) about bluehost being slow and not-so unlimited?

I havn't done anything really with the site itself, mostly doing offline stuff at the moment.

I think they have a 30 day money back guarantee so if there is better hosting out there for the price, il probably switch. I just want something that accepts wordpress.org since I don't know anything about html.

Zach

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Bluehost cripples part of cPanel, most notably the ability to self-backup.
Bluehost throttles sites.
Bluehost has very slow support. (Hint: Support should answer in under 15 minutes, resolve most issues in under 1 hour.)
Bluehost hides their real limits in the ToS and/or AUP.
It's also owned by Endurance International Group (EIG), which is a terrible company.

The ToS is here: http://www.bluehost.com/cgi/info/terms.html
It's one of the most wordy, obtuse, and legalese-laden "contracts" that you'll find for hosting.

Yet they use terms like "etc" and are very willynilly about what violates their "unlimited" definition:

Quote:
"UNLIMITED" USAGE POLICIES AND DEFINITIONS

“Unlimited” usage policies and definitions apply only to shared and reseller hosting accounts.

What "Unlimited" means. Bluehost does not set an arbitrary limit or cap on the amount of resources a single Subscriber can use. In good faith and subject to these Terms, Bluehost makes every commercially reasonable effort to provide its Subscribers with all the storage and bandwidth resources needed to power their web sites successfully, as long as the Subscriber's use of the service complies with these Terms. By not setting limits on key resources, we are able to provide simple, consistent pricing to our Subscribers as they grow their websites. As a result, a typical website may experience periods of great popularity and resulting increased storage without experiencing any associated increase in hosting charges.

What "Unlimited" DOES NOT mean. Bluehost employs complex mechanisms to protect its Subscribers and systems from abuse. Bluehost's offering of "unlimited" services is not intended to allow the actions of a single or few Subscribers to unfairly or adversely impact the experience of other Subscribers.

Bluehost's service is a shared hosting service, which means that multiple Subscriber web sites are hosted from the same server and share server resources. Bluehost's service is designed to meet the typical needs of small business and home business website Subscribers in the United States. It is NOT intended to support the sustained demand of large enterprises, internationally based businesses, or non-typical applications better suited to a dedicated server.

Bluehost will make every commercially reasonable effort to provide additional resources to Subscribers who are using their website(s) consistent with these Terms, including moving Subscribers to newer and bigger shared servers as necessary. However, in order to ensure a consistent and quality experience for all Subscribers, Bluehost does place automated safeguards to protect against any one site growing too quickly and adversely impacting the system until Bluehost can evaluate said sites resource needs.

Unlimited Hosting Space; excessive MySQL files.Bluehost does not set arbitrary limits on the amount of disk space a Subscriber can use for the Subscriber's website, nor does Bluehost charge additional fees based on an increased amount of storage used, provided the Subscriber's use of storage complies with these Terms. Please note, however, that the Bluehost service is designed to host websites. Bluehost does NOT provide unlimited space for online storage, backups, or archiving of electronic files, documents, log files, etc., and any such prohibited use of the Services will result in the termination of Subscriber's account, with or without notice. Accounts with a large number of files (inode count in excess of 200,000) can have an adverse affect on server performance. Similarly, accounts with an excessive number of MySQL/PostgreSQL tables (i.e., in excess of 1000 database tables) or of database size (i.e., in excess of 3GB total MySQL/PostgreSQL usage or 2GB MySQL/PostgreSQL usage in a single database) negatively affect the performance of the server. Bluehost may request that the number of files/inodes, database tables, or total database usage be reduced to ensure proper performance or may terminate the Subscriber's account, with or without notice.

Unlimited File Transfer. Bluehost does not set arbitrary limits on the amount of visitor traffic a web site can receive or on the amount of content a Subscriber can upload to his/her/its website in a given month, nor does Bluehost charge additional fees based on increased use of bandwidth, as long as the Subscriber's use of the Services complies with these Terms. In most cases, a Subscriber's web site will be able to support as much traffic as the Subscriber can legitimately acquire. However, Bluehost reserves the right to limit processor time, bandwidth, processes, or memory in cases where it is necessary to prevent negatively impacting other Subscribers.

Unlimited Domain Hosting. Bluehost does not set arbitrary limits on the number of domain names a Subscriber can associate with the Subscriber's web hosting account.
Basically that means they can make up the rules as they go. That one word -- "etc" -- gives them free reign. (And used in the loose context that it is.) Most hosts do not do that, and spell out exactly what is prohibited. You'll find many people who are suspended for this type of obtuse reasoning. They'll answer like a three year old child: "BECAUSE!". And because it's owned by a soul-sucking mega-corporation, they don't care, and treat you like dirt.

It's only "unlimited" ... until it's not.

There are better hosts. If you want another "unlimited" host, use a non-EIG host like Site5 or Arvixe.
Or if you know your space requirements, use Stablehost, Downtown Host, etc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
04-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Free Member

Unlimited...everything mentioned above^^^^

As for the slow sites; well that depends on a few things. First, it would depend on location to BlueHost's servers as well as your client base. However even with that, BlueHost overloads their servers by hundreds and hundreds of domains to maximize profits...which leads to downtime, high loads, slower load, and everything else you can think of. More over, like mentioned above, BlueHost does throttle the high usage accounts. So once your website start getting some active users and really picks up, your site would be even slower to load :/
04-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Welcome, OnraHost.

Off-topic: I noticed your site design is messed up when blocking livechatic.com. Thought you'd want to know.
I let NoScript block live chat sites, as they're annoying.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg onrahost.jpg (57.5 KB, 4 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
04-15-2013, 12:22 AM
Free Member

Hey,

Thanks for the heads up!!

Currently, I admit the site design is outdated and only up as we finish our new site design. However, I will get that checked out shortly as it could be a problem for some current/future clients.