Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I see your a fan of eurovps. With my limited knowledge of what all the specs mean, they look like a fast setup. And they talk a good game on their website. If I am in the US, wouldn't it be best for me to have us servers, though? All of their servers are Amsterdam if I understand correctly.

Plus, if I have just a couple smaller wp sites, do you think the ssd would make a speed difference on my sites? Or would it be wasted money?

Thanks for your time and expertise.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-15-2013, 03:25 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Indeed, EuroVPS is a very fast setup -- faster than most hosts. They've invested time and money into great infrastructure, and not silly affiliate payments, Super Bowl ads, national magazines, etc. The customer wins. I'm often amazed by the level of detail that has gone into the choice of servers, networking hardware, cloud hardware, etc.

People often think sites only work fast in their own country, but that's not true. Think of sites like BBC in UK, which likely loads for you just fine. Overseas sites "ping" a few milliseconds slower (not a test of speed), and large files (100MB+) download slower, but that's it. The site speed (web pages) is fine. In fact, some USA based hosts are slower than good hosts in Europe. For example, Hostgator (crappy and slow) vs. EuroVPS (good and fast). There's a technical reason why this happens, and someday I'll explain it all on the site.

This site is located in Amsterdam with EuroVPS. Loads fine, doesn't it?

SSD can make a speed difference for tech reasons, but the end user won't notice SSD vs. SAS RAID-10 if the host is good.

So all your questions really come down to this: Pick a good host.

And EuroVPS is definitely one of the best hosts there is. If you really want to host it in the USA, then use either Site5 or Stablehost.

Now go get a good one!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.