Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Free Member

Hello,

I spent hours on WHT forums reviewing reseller hosting. I'm currently using Hostgator and not having bad service yet... but not good service either. I monitor all my sites and have 1-2 times of downtime for about 10 minutes with Hostgator.

You recommended StableHost, Namecheap, and Veerotech...

I'm interested in your thoughts on those 3 for my situation. I run a small marketing company for local businesses. I use WP for all my sites and have about 40 that I manage. Mostly 10 pages or less on WP with graphics and a few videos.

One WP site is a directory around 5GB and lots of pages. I also need a dedicated IP and SSL for my one domain that I use to create my Facebook pages though a WP plugin...

I'm currently using about 40GB in space and not much for bandwidth.

Veerotech I think includes an IP and SSL with their reseller package? Plus Brent is here on the forums but I haven't read many of his posts yet...

Not heard anything about Namecheap but am happy with the domain side of their service. Namecheap looks new and so I don't know how fast they respond to hosting support tickets?

Stablehost looks good but the most pricey out of the 3. You get what you pay for though!

Interested in uptime and good support. Would like the new hosting company to transfer my domains for me. (I think most do)

I try to research on Google most problems myself but when I do need help I like someone that will be patient and respond somewhat quickly.

I probably can't go wrong with any of them but wanted to get your opinion since you have used all 3.

Which one sounds like a good fit?

THANKS!!!

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-30-2013, 02:19 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I know you've responded via PM, and I'll copy/paste those here, but this is a good topic -- one worth answering in public, because it'll very likely help others trying to search for this too.

For reseller hosting, there's LOTS of good choices -- more than shared or unlimited. (Same goes for VPS.)

Namecheap has actually been offering hosting for 5+ years, but most don't notice. I didn't notice for a few years myself! I thought it was just a domain registrar too, but that's not the case.

They're the ONLY exception to the "never use a registrar for hosting" rule. (Worth mentioning: Always obey the "never register a domain with a host" rule!) The servers run very well. Uptime is 100% almost all year long, the entire time I've used them for our site needs.

My only complaint is the support is a wee bit slower, but I communicate with hosts frequently, and that's something they/we will address this winter. (The CTO, @matt, is also on Warrior Forum, and mdrussell on WHT. He's CEO of WebhostingBuzz and CTO of Namecheap hosting. Though we butted heads in years past, everything is sorted, and are quite friendly to one another.)

I really like the datacenter: GNAX AtlantaNAP (Georgia).

Stablehost is one I've used for 4+ years now (almost 5), and the uptime is also nearly 100%.

It is slightly more pricey, as is their VPS, as they really focus on shared accounts. Resellers often abuse servers, so they've limited the number of accounts. (For example, somebody recently approach me and was running 90 sites on a cheap Hostgator account! No wonder their servers are overloaded!)

Support is often fast (within 15 minutes). It just depends on what it is. And a few times I've gotten wrong/silly answers from the L1 techs. But I'm nitpicking. I wouldn't stay with them for almost5 years if they were one of the best hosts I've ever used in ~15 years of hosting sites!

I really like the datacenter: PhoenixNAP (Arizona).

Veerotech is the most "expensive" of the three (going from memory) for reseller hosting, but you get a lot of freebies. The freebies do change, and I'm having a hard time keeping track myself. For example, I have a free copy of ClientExec, and could have chosen WHMCS. Sometimes it's free SSL, domains, etc. They always have great deals in this way.

Even though Veerotech is a small host compared to both Stablehost (but close!) and Namecheap, the support is often faster. I sometimes think this is because of their target audience. I think they get less stupid questions via a support desk ("My site no worky", etc). Their site is also superior to the already-excellent Stablehost and Namecheap sites, which I think helps with this.

Related aside: This forum is also trying to create a co-op for smaller hosts, to alleviate their helpdesks with questions that can be answered with a quick forum search. Veerotech is our guinea pig for this, and so far it's working well. Smaller hosts can then worry about other things -- the server health, blogs about advanced topics, etc. We're working out the details on how the co-op works. And it's good advertising for them!

Again, I really like the datacenter for their Dallas (Texas) location: Limestone Networks.

All 3 are good, so at this point, selecting one is mostly a matter of exact preference (billing panel offered, location, etc).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-30-2013, 02:19 AM
Free Member

Hi KPMedia,

I asked your opinion earlier and then found your website.... so now busy reading over there.

Super helpful website... now I'm adding Site5 and Arvixe to the mix...

So many choices

If available I will try to use your affiliate code from your website... to help you keep it going!

Thanks!
10-30-2013, 02:31 AM

Site5 and Arvixe are excellent, too.

Site5 is one I've used for around a year now.

Because they're an "unlimited" host, they have stricter resources policies in place. They're trying to define "unlimited" and should be commended for this! You may be able to get away with slightly hogging resources on them, as opposed to CloudLinux or BetterLinux (Hostgator) servers, but not unmonitored Apache (which you DO NOT want). If your' sites are not resources hogs, that's not important, but I felt it worth mentioning.

Another great location: Softlayer (Dallas).

Arvixe is a host I've used for 3+ years, and they're good too. They're nothing special to say about them -- not really. It's a really good host, that always works. And that's that. No quirks, no nifty things, etc. Just good hosting.

I do have an exclusive coupon code for them! digitalfaq saves 10% off for reseller plans!

_________

Anything you can do to help this site is always appreciated -- donations, Premium Membership, or simply clicking on our links.

And yes, for reseller hosting, there are quite a few excellent choices to be made.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-30-2013, 02:32 AM
Free Member

Hi,

Through your website and WHT forum, I have it narrowed down to BigScoots and Veerotech. Going to send them some pre-sale questions and see how they respond.

Your forum is awesome for non biased review and information! Thanks for creating that!

If I go with Veerotech I'll be sure to use your link or the digitalfaq code.

If I come up with anymore questions I'll post them in your forum....

Thanks,
Eric
10-30-2013, 02:36 AM

We actually have a link for BigScoots too --- the forum autolinks it for us.

BigScoots is nice, but I consider it to really be a VPS host first. And inversely, I really consider Veerotech to be a reseller AND shared host first. So to me, given what you want (reseller hosting), I think your choice is obvious at this point in time.

If you have any more questions, just register and reply.

Thanks!

10-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Veerotech is the most "expensive" of the three (going from memory) for reseller hosting, but you get a lot of freebies. The freebies do change, and I'm having a hard time keeping track myself. For example, I have a free copy of ClientExec, and could have chosen WHMCS. Sometimes it's free SSL, domains, etc. They always have great deals in this way.

Even though Veerotech is a small host compared to both Stablehost (but close!) and Namecheap, the support is often faster. I sometimes think this is because of their target audience. I think they get less stupid questions via a support desk ("My site no worky", etc). Their site is also superior to the already-excellent Stablehost and Namecheap sites, which I think helps with this.

Again, I really like the datacenter for their Dallas (Texas) location: Limestone Networks.
Hi there -

It's good to see that we're among your list of new hosts to choose. Our reseller plans, as KPmedia mentioned do come with some freebies -

Dedicated IP
1 Free SSL
WHMCS or ClientExec billing system
Complete migration - cPanel or non-cPanel
(SpamExperts incoming email filtering coming soon for our cloud hosting)

We combine CloudLinux & LiteSpeed on all shared & reseller servers, which has been great. It also helps keep control over some accounts that would otherwise affect everyone else on shared servers. After a snafu with "StoreGrid" (backups) we've recently replaced it with R1Soft, which is now available to our customers. Our standard shared & reseller plans have daily, weekly & monthly backups, daily being R1Soft. Our cloud plan however, utilize VMware/NetApp and also have "hourly" backups.

As mentioned, LimeStone Networks is our primary datacenter for all hosting however, we have servers in Lenoir, NC as well as the VeeroTech Cloud in Chicago, IL.

Looking over our website, there's a few things missing on our reseller plans that I mentioned above - I'll make note to get the additional information added as soon as possible.

That said, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks,
Brent