Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Free Member

Hey KPMedia,

I've been reading your posts on the HG hosting thread and appreciate your insight. I'm one of those who have been on their hosting for over 7 years now. I never knew about all these issues and feel sort of dumb now. LOL

I have a $25/mo reseller plan that I only use on my own sites. Do you have any recommendations for a new host? I hear people mention Site5 and wonder if that is a good host?

My biggest fear in moving is that I'm not a tech person by any means and have no idea how to change over one site, let alone 25 sites, to a new host. I'd definitely appreciate any insight you might be able to give me.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!

Terry

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Hi there. I hate to "hide" good advice in PMs, hence this post.

Sadly, yes, Hostgator's best days are gone. Years ago -- before the "unlimited" bug bit Brent -- it was a good host. But as time went on, so went the quality. For years 3-4 now, even before the EIG takeover, the resellers servers have been bad;y overloaded. With EIG at the helm, it's gotten even worse. Now's a good time to jump ship.

There quite a few really good reseller hosts out there -- even better than shared hosting or dedicated hosting. Both it and VPS markets have several really excellent hosts.

For reseller, the only thing you really need to decide is if it comes with "free" (cost included) billing panels like WHMCS, ClientExec, Blesta, etc. Space and bandwidth isn't really a concern for most folks.

Assuming no billing panel, Stablehost and Stream101 are excellent choices.

If you want/need the billing panel, I'd look at Site5 or Veerotech. (So to answer your question, yes, Site5 is a really good host, for a number of reason. I've covered them here and there, but plan to have a single review later in the year for them.)

Moving isn't an issue at a good host. They do it for you. All you do is give them your login information, and they take care of the rest. How large are your sites? I moved 25 sites a month ago for a customer (we do specialty hosting from some clients), and it took maybe all over 15 minutes. With cPanel standards, and standard hosts (which Hostgator still is, for now*), it's almost idiot-proof.

* Bluehost is a non-standard cPanel host. It's another EIG brand that's the model for Hostgator. So eventually, Hostgator will likely cripple cPanel the same way, which makes migrations tough to do without advanced command-line knowledge at a good host. MDD Hosting is good at this.

If you have more questions, just register for the forum and ask here.

Glad to help.

Need a good web host? — Read our 2018 Review of the Best Web Hosts
Quite often, problems with web sites are caused by having a rotten web host. Worse yet, many hosts try to blame you (the customer) for the problems! So dump that lousy company. Say goodbye to slow sites, unresponsive support techs, and downtime. Find yourself a new host today. Whether you need shared, reseller, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or dedicated hosting, something on our list should be a good upgrade for you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.