11-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Free Member

Hi there,

I made my way to your page through this post on webhostingtalk: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...highlight=hawk

Your comment regarding always registering domains with namecheap came at the right time, and I have another questions that is somewhat related: Where should SSL certificates be purchased from?

By the way, thank you for the article on which web hosts to go with. I am currently with Hawk Host, and even though I have had a good experience with them, I only use them to host personal sites that never were quite fully developed, so now that I am about to launch a startup (photo equipment rental), I am starting to thinking about web hosting because I am working on the ecommerce website.

Anyway, aside from the good information you provided, I just had to drop a note because you are also in the photo business as well.

Thank you,
Tom

This question was asked via email. Site Staff no longer answer tech questions via email, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Namecheap again!

In fact, I just bought another one there today. Buying domains and SSL certs there is so pain-free and easy to do. In years past, buying SSL at other places was such a nuisance, and I hated it. With Namecheap, it's actually pretty easy.

When it comes to advice on hosting, just give me an idea of what you need, and I'll let you know what I suggest. Most ecommerce platforms are resource-needy, and you'd want to look at semi-dedicated or VPS hosting.

I'm actually in the middle of writing several articles on this very topic -- when to use a VPS, and when not to use a VPS. I just now finished part 1. It's not even announced anywhere yet! There's going to be at least two more articles on that: part 2 of myths, managed vs unmanaged, and reason you must use a VPS. You can read Part 1 at The Myth of VPS Hosting: Reasons to Avoid It! Part 1. You might find that helpful. It's going to take a number of days to finish the other 3, as I write them between paying projects.

Yep, shoot with a Nikon D3s, amongst others.

Nice to meet you. If you have more questions, just register for the forum and continue here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
11-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the response.

Originally I had decided on using Magento because it's supposed to be more robust, but I also heard about it being a resource hog. I tried it for a few weeks and thought it was okay from a user's standpoint.

I then tried OpenCart because I didn't want to just go along with what people are saying, and I ended up liking it. There were a few features unique to what I needed that was already built in to the options with OpenCart, so I decided to stick with it simply because I got further along with process of building the site.

By the way, I am not a web designer or developer. I can log in to cpanel, use the one click install and set-up wordpress or Magento/OpenCart, and familiarize myself with the user panel to make the customizations. That's about it.

As for hosting, I read the 'Myth of VPS' article before I messaged you, and it made me feel more at east about sticking with shared hosting for now until I build an audience or notice the site is starting to bog down....unless there is a reason for me to move to VPS already.
11-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I'd developed some Magento store sites in the past, and they were okay. I was never in love with the platform. A base install of it took quite a few resources - and that's with zero site traffic, mind you. From what I know, OpenCart is the same. (I may put OpenCart on one of our dev servers; it's looks more mature than it was 3-4 years ago.)

On CloudLinux servers, it's going to run slow.
On non-CloudLinux shared servers, the host will likely suspend the site for using too many resources.

I'd look into semi-dedicated hosting for that site, which only runs $20 from Stablehost or MDD Hosting. I don't see any need to use a VPS here, especially given your skill level. That would be your safest bet. Yeah, you can tempt fate and try to run it on a cheap sub-$10 account, but I wouldn't.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.