04-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Free Member

I really would love to pick your brain on how best to tune a server and site from a newbies perspective. From other posts there seems to be 3 main areas to tweak - the server itself, MySQL tuning and WordPress tuning.

In another thread you mentioned about setting up the server with the necessary plugins/optimizations like varnish, nginx, CloudLinux. I never knew about that until you mentioned it. I was just regurgitating the party line that if I were to get ssd and litespeed I'll be all set! Can you break down what a newbie should know to make sure their VPS is setup correctly?

You also mentioned MySQL tuning? Is there a dummies guide to how to do that?

What about WordPress? I read in another post about using caching plugins and to stay away from Cloudflare. Is it just as simple as installing DB Cache Reloaded Fix and Hyper Cache Extended and calling it a day?

And finally, how do you test performance to know what's working? Do you use a site like gtmetrix and do before and after tests?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-20-2014, 06:40 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Will you be using cPanel. (Do your clients use it?)
There are several options for caching, and the options will change depending on the webserver used.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
04-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Free Member

Yes I will be using cPanel.
08-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Did you ever come up with a plan here?

Quote:
You also mentioned MySQL tuning? Is there a dummies guide to how to do that?
I've added a guide request to our queue, for tuning a VPS or dedicated server to WordPress usage. Just realize it's not going to be as easy as clicking around a GUI, and it's not going to be $10 (typical low-end unmanaged VPS budget). A good setup will take some time/effort and a decent monthly budget.

The MySQL tuning is fairly easy, and somewhat self explanatory once you get it installed and running. It's only daunting if you have no SSH experience, and are afraid with the Linux command line. (Some people are, though I can't really blame them, as it is really easy to screw something up if you're not careful.)

Quote:
What about WordPress? I read in another post about using caching plugins and to stay away from Cloudflare. Is it just as simple as installing DB Cache Reloaded Fix and Hyper Cache Extended and calling it a day?
For the site, yes.
(A) Use those plugins.
(B) Avoid CloudFlare, as it will just slow down sites on good servers at good hosts.

The server itself is where you'll need to put in more effort, or use a host that has created a good WordPress-ready setup. (We maintain one of these for our dev clients. Contact me if you have just a few sites, and would like to look into having us host it for you.)

Quote:
And finally, how do you test performance to know what's working? Do you use a site like gtmetrix and do before and after tests?
The easiest way is to use the Pingdom page test: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/

And if you need it:

Need a good web host? — Read our 2018 Review of the Best Web Hosts
Quite often, problems with web sites are caused by having a rotten web host. Worse yet, many hosts try to blame you (the customer) for the problems! So dump that lousy company. Say goodbye to slow sites, unresponsive support techs, and downtime. Find yourself a new host today. Whether you need shared, reseller, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or dedicated hosting, something on our list should be a good upgrade for you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.