Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-07-2014, 11:37 PM
Free Member

I wish your article on EIG had been around a year ago when I was looking for a new hosting company. I did take all the review sites with a big grain of salt, but didn't realize how many of the companies were EIG. And I'm regretting my move to hostgator. Although I also had lots of problems with Arvixe support as well last spring- they admitted they couldn't find enough qualified techs, and it was glaringly obvious.

I have a small software company, selling downloaded apps off my site, perhaps moving to SaaS in the future. My current usage is about 20GB storage, 50GB bandwidth/month. Most of the things I use are pretty standard - Wordpress, MySQL and php based programs like myBB, I do need SSH access, and also run a small amount of Java; I have been able to upload and install Java in my account under cPanel for doing that. Going to VPS seems a bit overkill so I think I'm looking again for an unlimited host, although I could be convinced otherwise.

For me reliability is key. Not only has hostgator had the public outages, but this year they have broken something about once a month. Getting though to them is impossible, techs have an attitude, incorrect information, lots of wasted time and angst.

Besides your top ten list another company that was mentioned as highly regarded and is not EIG (afa I can tell) is rosehosting. Does anyone here have an opinion of them?

Thanks for any advice.
J
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Arvixe + hosting industry tech shortage

For the last few years, there has been an industry-wide scarscity of techs. Why? Well, instead of working for others, too many semi-qualified people are trying to start their own "hosting company" (not a real business, in most cases). They know enough to be a tech elsewhere, but not enough to run a whole company. In many cases, it's the stupidity of youth that's to blame (high school and college age). The whole industry suffers as a result, and what you end up with is lots of bad hosts. Some lack the support techs needed, while others are poorly managed as a whole.

Arvixe has had some bouts of issues, always from lack of staffing. In most case, however, it was temporary, lasting a few weeks at most. In an ideal world, it would drop them in rankings below other hosts. However, sadly, all hosts are experiencing this. Most recently (Q1 2014), I'd grumbled about Namecheap support being too slow, a situation now resolved.

Jobs are plentiful -- but usually for on-site techs only. Major "hosting cities" like Phoenix and Dallas have lots of hosts, and the qualified applicant pool is quickly exhausted. You would think off-site techs would be an obvious fix, but most hosts don't seem to agree.

The issue of poor pay (avg $10/hour) is also a problem, which is itself caused by stupid Taco Bell budgets that consumers are willing to pay for hosting -- something most consumers don't understand. Skilled techs don't want to work at those crap jobs.

EuroVPS and Stablehost are the only two hosts that appear immune to this to date -- mostly because they're medium-sized hosts, not large ones like Arvixe. It's like the three bears!
- Smaller hosts always struggle, as its hard to both maintain infrastructure and troubleshoot it; not enough dedicated people for each task.
- Medium hosts are "just right".
- Large hosts can get too many customers, and that overflows their ability to respond to them in a timely manner.

This field is not alone. For years, there was a nursing shortage. (I'm not sure if it exists anymore.)

Arvixe does try hard, as do several others. And in years past, this issue did not exist. So for now they get a pass; empathy, not scorn. If it were a constant downhill like EIG, I'd suggest against them as well. But it's not. It's mostly good, with a few dips here and there.

JaguarPC, by contrast, didn't fair as well. After months of non-stop complaints, I've quit suggesting them. It's sad when a host has been around since the 1990s, and their reputation goes into the toilet in the 2010s. They had a 10-15 year streak of being a good host. And it wasn't even caused by buyouts, just turmoil in the industry.

Unlimited hosting

"Unlimited" hosting is just shared hosting without a space or bandwidth quota. Most times, the bandwidth is so generous elsewhere that it may as well be "unlimited". Bandwidth is cheap in the 2010s.

In many, many cases, the large "unlimited" hosts have more hidden limits than the medium-sized hosts that specify your bandwidth and space allocation. Other system resources like CPU, RAM, MySQL connection (also RAM), and I/O -- the most important resources for PHP applications like WordPress -- tend to be hidden in fine print at the "unlimited" hosts. So honest unlimited hosts, like Site5 and Namecheap, try not to hide this information. Their limits are not unreasonable, either.

So watch for that.

Rose Hosting

Rosehosting.com is a gamble.

For a host that's supposedly been around for years, they curious lack any feedback online -- good or bad. The only issue I see online is lack of communication on their part, which is also observable by their online participation. When they do participate, it's usually about their affiliate program or new sales. That's never a good sign.

The only "reviews" I see are fake affiliate crap.

I'd suggest you find something with a known reputation for your business.

My Suggestion for You!

Based on what you've said so far, I'd look at 3 hosts:
1. WebhostingBuzz (Atlanta)
2. Veerotech (Dallas)
3. Stablehost (Phoenix)

If you feel you need more resources than a typical host would, look at the Stablehost "enterprise" (semi-dedicated) plan. It's only ~$25 monthly.

Another option is the Site5 or Namecheap managed VPS. Those are like reseller accounts on steroids, and you can set you own per-accounts usage limits. Granted, this costs more, in the $50-100 range, depending on the VPS. It also costs more because you don't have to managed anything -- they do all the heavy lifting here, so all you can focus on your business.

Note: This is a business! Match you phone bill for budget, not a Taco Bell receipt!

If you have more questions, ask.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Free Member

I will suggest you to look at AccuWebHosting.com. The company provides 99.9% uptime guarantee and 24x7 support via Live Chat and email. You can find good technicians at AccuWebHosting. AccuWebHosting’s support team is able to cater the top class support services with their technical ability, intelligence, and problem-solving skills. Their response time is also lightning fast. According to your requirements, I will suggest you to look at AccuWebHosting's Linux Private Cloud Hosting plans.
06-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darshan_M View Post
I will suggest you to look at AccuWebHosting.com. The company provides 99.9% uptime guarantee and 24x7 support via Live Chat and email. You can find good technicians at AccuWebHosting. AccuWebHosting’s support team is able to cater the top class support services with their technical ability, intelligence, and problem-solving skills. Their response time is also lightning fast. According to your requirements, I will suggest you to look at AccuWebHosting's Linux Private Cloud Hosting plans.
Do you work with them? Which site have you hosted there?
The following users thank Bithunter for this useful post: kpmedia (06-10-2014)
06-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Free Member

Hey jdelmar,

You can look into AbeloHost.com, a web hosting provider located in The Netherlands. It operates on one of the most reliable datacenters in the world as it has never experienced any downtime (and never will). Why? If you want to read more about the technical side, you can go here: https://abelohost.com/portfolio-item...the-datacenter

Also, since we are currently a small-scale web hosting provider, we have a lot of time for our clients. Many technicians are waiting to help you with your online business, even with issues that lay outside of our official service.

One of the most popular websites that we host is 1001eda.com, which gets around 200,000 visits a day.

We also provide a free professional logo design to show that we genuinely care about the clients that we host.

Goodluck,
Jerome
Manager at Abelohost
06-20-2014, 03:37 PM
Free Member

Medusa:
Offer 100% uptime is the first sign of a provider that doesn't take seriously their business. Datacenter is just a part of the whole thing. I´m not saying you are not good, I´m saying you are doing a fake promise.
Regards
07-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Try Lunar Pages although you may have to increase your budget a little. I've been using 2 virtual dedicated servers from them for more than a year. And, I've seen them really cooperative unlike Godaddy or Hostgator.
07-20-2014, 06:41 AM

I'd usually delete this as spam, but I'll instead pick it apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
It operates on one of the most reliable datacenters in the world
Also, since we are currently a small-scale web hosting provider,
So you DO NOT have a datacenter, then?

Quote:
as it has never experienced any downtime (and never will). Why? If you want to read more about the technical side, you can go here: https://abelohost.com/portfolio-item...the-datacenter
I highly doubt this claim. If I cared to reach it more, I could ask numerous EU hosts about the quality of that DC, as well as post a general query on WHT. Even then, 100% uptime is not possible. DDoS, backbone cutting, etc -- at some point in time, everybody goes down. How often is one metric in what makes a good host.

Quote:
Many technicians are waiting to help you with your online business
"Operators are standing by."

Quote:
One of the most popular websites that we host is 1001eda.com, which gets around 200,000 visits a day.
It's always nice to have clients that you can brag about. If they can succeed because of you (hopefully not in spite of you!), then it reflects well on your business.

Quote:
We also provide a free professional logo design to show that we genuinely care about the clients that we host.
I'm curious how "professional" this really is.You can get "professional" logo designers on Fiverr.com for a few bucks, but the "professional" work is terrible. Most logos start at $200-500, and it quickly goes uop from these. Designing logos takes time.

Quote:
Goodluck,
Jerome
Manager at Abelohost
I'm not sure what to think of this post. I generally prefer direct contact from hosts first, before they spam (or self promote) all over the forum. Forums are for helping others, not hocking wares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bithunter View Post
Medusa:
Offer 100% uptime is the first sign of a provider that doesn't take seriously their business. Datacenter is just a part of the whole thing. I´m not saying you are not good, I´m saying you are doing a fake promise.
Regards
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
Try Lunar Pages although you may have to increase your budget a little. I've been using 2 virtual dedicated servers from them for more than a year. And, I've seen them really cooperative unlike Godaddy or Hostgator.
LunarPages is one of the 30 worst hosts that exists. We'll be released that editorial sometime this month.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-22-2014, 10:04 AM

Zaffy excellent post has been moved to it's own thread: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...omparison.html

Thanks.

Tags
hosting, shared