Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-23-2014, 12:06 PM
Free Member

Hello guys,
First off you had helped me greatly by posting http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...web-hosts.html
Before reading this I was comparing Justhost,BlueHost and iPage and lol at me, man they were owned by same parent company (EIG ).

It would be great if you guys can suggest me for a good web hosting with these of my requirements:
1) Me and my friends would be opening multiple sites in coming months and maybe year, so domains allowed less than 2 wouldn't be adequate, 5-10 would suffice but it would be great if it's unlimited.
2) Just as we aren't sure about domains we aren't sure about space and bandwidth. HawkHost looks good but their 3000mb limited space turned me away.
3) cPanel is very important
4) Not too expensive. 3-4$/month is my last bet.

I have looked webhostinghub.com, they looks professional and good. Also arvixe.com looks reliable also. I haven't seen any popularity for NameCheap hosting but their Value plan is also good. Can you guys comment on these 3 hosting sites? Any other suggestion would also be good.

Thanks Again!

Edit: I forgot to add that I am very new to this hosting buying thing. So any suggestion like "Stay away from x host" or something like that would also be really helpful.

I forgot to add that I prefer $3-$4/month for first 2years after that I can afford $6-$8/month.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3goodies View Post
Before reading this I was comparing Justhost,BlueHost and iPage and lol at me, man they were owned by same parent company (EIG ).
It's always good to hear that we've saved somebody from falling into the EIG trap. Yes, those 3 brands, plus 50+ more, are all EIG junk that should be avoided.

Quote:
It would be great if you guys can suggest me for a good web hosting with these of my requirements:
1) Me and my friends would be opening multiple sites in coming months and maybe year, so domains allowed less than 2 wouldn't be adequate, 5-10 would suffice but it would be great if it's unlimited.
Can you host more than 1 domain per hosting account? Yes.
But should you? No.

One shared account = one Linux account when using cPanel. Most Windows servers are setup the same way. That's how hosting works. You must consider several issues:

1. The cPanel "addon" domains have bleedthrough. I can access site A using a site B URL, which is terrible for both reputation and SEO. There's several workarounds to make it where you cannot access sites from other domains on the same account, but it requires several manual steps. And one of those steps (the DNS changes) can be undone by a server admin (by resetting the hosted DNS).

2. It's a huge security risk. If one site is hacked, they all get hacked. Ideally, you'd want "reseller" hosting -- a fancy name for multi-account hosting. Each domain can be issued it's own cPanel/Linux account, and is thus more secure. If one site gets hacked, only that one site is hacked.

3. One Linux account is limited to a set amount of resources. If you cram several sites into one Linux account, they may all run very slow as result. The account has a max RAM, CPU, I/O, and MySQL query threshold that cannot be passed.

Just keep this in mind, if you insist on hosting all domains as "addon" domains in cPanel. In all honesty, it was a terrible idea by cPanel, and the whole system is very hackish. No other control panel does this, and for good reason.

Our suggestion for low-cost cPanel reseller accounts is Stablehost for about $10 monthly. It's one of the best bargains around for up to 10 accounts with 10gb. (It's because they do not include "free" copies of billing panels in their plans . That's why the price is so low. For users who just need the multi-account creation ability, it's perfect.)

Quote:
2) Just as we aren't sure about domains we aren't sure about space and bandwidth. HawkHost looks good but their 3000mb limited space turned me away.
Most sites use under 1gb -- sometimes as low as a 100mb. It really depends on the size and amount of images. You can always start small, and upgrade later. Too many people insist on lots of space they'll never use (or so-called "unlimited" plans), and throw away money as a result.

Sometimes it's a simple as poor site management by the site owner. For example, a DSLR JPEG image is about 5mb each. But if you're not making them available for download, don't add large images! Use Photoshop or another image editor prior to upload. Shrink both dimensions and file size. It's faster for the site owner, site viewers, and prevent unneeded server storage.

Realize that many "unlimited" hosts -- especially EIG -- will suspend your site for using too much space. Yes, unlimited is not really unlimited. It's just an advertising ploy. They have lots of fine print that several limits how space can be used. (Note that some hosts do attempt to legitimately allow a large amount of space, like Site5 or Arvixe. But a site uses other resources -- not just file space.)

Quote:
3) cPanel is very important
It really is the best panel for Linux servers...

... as long as the "addon" domain "feature" is avoided.

Quote:
4) Not too expensive. 3-4$/month is my last bet.
You don't have many options here. The budget is really low. You'd also be forcing yourself to use the less-secure single shared account. The lowest price reliable host is Stablehost. Use the coupon SAVE40OFF to get 40% off.

The next-highest price is Namecheap and Arvixe.

Quote:
I have looked webhostinghub.com, they looks professional and good. Also arvixe.com looks reliable also. I haven't seen any popularity for NameCheap hosting but their Value plan is also good. Can you guys comment on these 3 hosting sites? Any other suggestion would also be good.
Arvixe is excellent, as is Namecheap. We've used both Arvixe and Namecheap for several satellite project for years now. In fact, we have several hosting plans (VPS, dedicated servers) with Namecheap, which (for us) means we trust them quite a bit.

For varying reasons, I would not suggest WebhostingHub.

I'd add Stablehost.com to that pair, and you then have 3 great hosts to decide on.

Quote:
Edit: I forgot to add that I am very new to this hosting buying thing. So any suggestion like "Stay away from x host" or something like that would also be really helpful.
It's actually in the works. We're creating a list of the 30 worst hosts around. EIG is just one of those, even though it has 55 brands. Most bad hosts have several names, because they keep tarnishing existing brands!

And we'll be adding "removed suggestions" to that suggestions page, to showcase who's been delisted and why.

That's all coming in July.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Free Member

Thanks for your help @kpmedia, its good to have an experienced person available for help.
For Addon Domains, I think:
1) We can easily restrict access to domain.com/addon-domain.com using htaccess and redirect them to addon-domain.com so SEO won't be problem here.
2) Yes, a security can be a concern.
3) A server load problem yes, but isn't it too early for new websites?

Yes you are right about unlimited space fallacy, but I don't want to upgrade and move accounts I like to buy a hosting package for 1-2 years and stop thinking about hosting and work on my website.
What I am thinking now is either I go with arvixe personal class or namecheap value class (the lowest packages) and host up my websites. If any of the website starts taking some load I will move them to a complete new hosting account. So is this good idea for the starters or I am missing something here? (The thing to note here is I don't have a running websites, all websites will be completely new).

Quote:
We're creating a list of the 30 worst hosts around. EIG is just one of those, even though it has 55 brands. Most bad hosts have several names, because they keep tarnishing existing brands!
Let me know when you are done with the list I will try spreading it.
06-23-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your help @kpmedia, its good to have an experienced person available for help.
Glad to help.

Quote:
For Addon Domains, I think:
1) We can easily restrict access to domain.com/addon-domain.com using htaccess and redirect them to addon-domain.com so SEO won't be problem here.
The htaccess method doesn't work perfectly.

It's documented elsewhere in the forum, but:
1. Use /user/folder/site instead of /user/public_html/site in cPanel. Change the path when creating the addon domain. Easy.
2. Delete the sub-domain DNS records, and hope that an admin doesn't overwrite it.

Do that instead. htaccess not needed.

Quote:
3) A server load problem yes, but isn't it too early for new websites?
Age does not matter. For example, if you throw up a WordPress site and load it down with poorly-written plugins, all uit takes is a few posts to tank the server. When CloudLinux is used, it tanks the account.

Quote:
Yes you are right about unlimited space fallacy, but I don't want to upgrade and move accounts I like to buy a hosting package for 1-2 years and stop thinking about hosting and work on my website.
Don't move hosts -- just upgrade the account. Upgrading is good! It means the site is succeeding! So never want your site to never need need more -- that means it's not succeeding! This site went from shared to using it's own dedicated server in the span of 12 years. Most all of those upgrades have been at our host, EuroVPS. We've not had to move for 8 years now.

Quote:
What I am thinking now is either I go with arvixe personal class or namecheap value class (the lowest packages) and host up my websites. If any of the website starts taking some load I will move them to a complete new hosting account. So is this good idea for the starters or I am missing something here? (The thing to note here is I don't have a running websites, all websites will be completely new).
That plan sounds fine.

Just yesterday I was working on our Arvixe hosted project. Last week, it was the Namecheap dedicated work. Like you, I need a good host, so that I can do work. I don't have time for shenanigans/downtime/etc. Most of this week, I'll be concentrating on the EuroVPS hosted site. We trust a handful of hosts for our needs, and you've chosen two of them.

The reason I even post about hosting online is so that others (like yourself) can enjoy the same great experience that we have. It also ensures that the great companies we use stays great, by getting new customers. That's my ulterior motive, unlike fake sites that try to use others for their own gain.

Quote:
Let me know when you are done with the list I will try spreading it.
Will do. That would be much appreciated.

You can also help this site out by using our links: Namecheap.com or Arvixe.com.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-23-2014, 04:30 PM

The addon domain issue has been address in several posts:
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...how-addon.html
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...e-hosting.html

When sites forbid changing the default path of addons, use the "dummy domain" method documented here:
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/guid...d-domains.html

That's all you need to do.

The htaccess may help with the DNS issue, if your server admin overwrites it.

06-24-2014, 03:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
...Never want your site to never need need more -- that means it's not succeeding!
Quote:
The reason I even post about hosting online is so that others (like yourself) can enjoy the same great experience that we have. It also ensures that the great companies we use stays great, by getting new customers. That's my ulterior motive, unlike fake sites that try to use others for their own gain.
That motive is good, I hope other new users to do some research before jumping on "popular" hosts.

Thanks for your help. I will try removing all the connections cPanel automatically create for addon domain to main domain.

Just the last thing I want to ask is, is it easy to check how much one of my site is using the server resources (load) through cPanel if I am using addon domains? So I can monitor their resources and make them indepandant if necessary.

Also can you please provide a brief explanation is what's wrong with WebHostingHub, I think they are part of InMotionHosting and they both are reputable. Although one catch of WebHostingHub is their package of $3.99/month for basic package is only for new users which means when I renew after one or two years it would be around 6.99$/month this is the cost which you can't easily find on their website until you specifically ask on chat. The same catch goes for JustHost,iPage,FatCow. So people do ask the renewal rates when you first register.

Although in NameCheap and Arvixe the cost is same as the initial period.
06-25-2014, 11:56 AM

InMotion Hosting does indeed own WebHostingHub, but it's the budget brand.

And I think it's actually independently operated -- marketing, support, etc -- and not part of the main InMotion brand. Why do I think this? Unlike InMotion, who is honest, WHH relies on complete BS to sell hosting. It really is irksome when a company pretends that VPS and dedicated servers are weaker than cheapo shared hosting. For an example of this BS, see the attached image. If they're going to lie/BS about this, what else will they lie/BS about? I'd rather not find out.

Like most hosts, I doubt there's any difference in resources between the 3 plans. That's almost never the case. It's just a way for them to unethically get a few more bucks from the sucker customer.

Stick to the reputable companies being mentioned here: Arvixe, Namecheap, Stablehost.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg webhostinghub-bs-marketing.jpg (87.2 KB, 4 downloads)

06-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Free Member

Thanks again.
I have almost gone to the order page to buy the 2year hosting from arvixe.com but suddenly I decided to contact Arvand (owner/manager?) of Arvixe.com from Webhostingtalk. Just to see how good they provide support. And really man, I haven't seen a rude man like him. I accept I don't have enough knowledge of hosting right now but really I don't prefer to buy hosting from them if thats the kind of support I am going get after buying.

Thanks for all your help. I will consider Namecheap and let you know after some time how things work out.
06-25-2014, 04:14 PM

Arvand comes across badly, yes, and I've told him that many times now.

But you have to understand the nature of budget shared web hosting. And then realize that most all owners of budget hosts are like this. The problem stems from budget customers -- they're generally rude. Really, really rude. And demanding. (Nevermind that they don't know what they're demanding! Details!) By comparison, Arvand is a saint. The problem comes when he meets truly nice people, and therefore comes across as rude himself.

Most all hosting owners have "attitudes" like this -- at least the ones that are available to customers. At most hosts, the owner hides behind others. The fact that you can access Arvand at Arvixe, or Matt at Namecheap, is the exception rather than the rule. If you look back several years, I had problems with both of them, and we'd clash in public from time to time. But it was resolved over time. Matt has mellowed (great guy!), but Arvand is still too tightly wound it seems.

I think Tyler of Stablehost, or Vasili or EuroVPS, are some of the nicest folks I've ever met. Yet other find them rude. I have no idea why.

The thing to remember is this: Arvand, Matt, Tyler, Vasili, etc -- they only deal with problems. Customers often try to turn them into punching bags, especially when the customer is not paying much. Ironic, huh? Less money = bigger hassle. Like the saying, "the buck stops here", as there's nowhere else to escalate issues.

But also remember that the first few layers of techs are not them. Other will be helping you. As far as Arvixe vs Namecheap support, it's honestly a tie. Each has had a few snafus in the past year, in terms of slow support speed. But those seem to have passed. And I've never had an issue with the quality of the support (ie, resolutions).

These are all great people, and at great companies.

If Namecheap is the decision, then Namecheap it is. It's a great choice.

07-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Free Member

Hello again kpmedia, Whats your real name anyways?

I haven't yet bought the web hosting been busy in work, so I am again need of your help as I have no prior experience in webhosting and its limits.

I would be hosting with 1Prestashop and 3WP blogs. The prestashop would have very light traffic as its targeted to very niche market, but I am not sure about Wordpress. I think in a year I would be getting 7-12000pageviews/month in Total. I have also increased my budget to 5$ for 2 years and after that 8$/year. Both Arvixe PersonalClass Pro and NameCheap Professional Package come under my budget after using their discount codes. Yes, I will try using cache plugins and installing modules carefully. Whats your suggestion?

Also can you tell me if I can monitor the resource usage like cpu usage, number of processes and memory my website would be using? Or they will just email me telling that I am using high resources for the selected package.
07-02-2014, 07:32 PM

People have a tendency to overestimate, when it comes to traffic (site popularity). Everybody is far too optimistic, especially first-time or novice site owners. Don't fall into that trap. Make a site, and see what happens. If it grows, then your server must grow too. Successful (popular, large, trafficked) sites make decent money, so spend some of it on the site itself -- software, hosting/servers, etc. If you try to only spend $5, and insist the rest be profit, the site WILL fail.

7k to 12k is too much for shared hosting, when WordPress is involved. It will likely exceed the RAM and MySQL queries, and maybe the CPU depending in site coding and content. You'll be forced to upgrade. But that's fine -- ~10k daily is 300k monthly, and it should bring in some decent monthly income (minimum $1k) if you do it right.

However, both Arvixe and Namecheap have excellent upgrade paths -- shared, to VPS, to dedicated.

The goal with WordPress should be to use the least number of plugins possible. Most add overhead that makes the site run poorly, and often runs over the resource allocations of shared hosting. A good cache plugin is suggested, yes. I suggest the combo of DB-Cache Reloaded Fix + Hypercache Extended. Avoid W3TC and SuperCache, as both tend to use high resources themselves.

It's not just the host, but the actual tech/admin on duty. Some suspend right away, and then email you that you've been suspended. Others warn you in advance, and give you X amount of time (often hours, not days or longer) to either reduce resource use or upgrade the hosting plan. It just depends on how much overuse is going on.

Hosts that use CloudLinux, like Namecheap or Stablehost, may give you a little more time to miggrate, and are not as likely to shut it down without warning. CloudLinux prevents a site from abusing a whole server -- the site can only use up to X% max. (Note that this % is a peak, not constant, so you can't use it at 100% at all times. You'd still need to upgrade, but at least you're not overly harming the other shared users on the server when you do run over.)

Resource monitors are in cPanel.

07-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Free Member

Thanks kpmedia for your detailed explanation.

I think you misunderstood my 10,000 traffic estimation. I didn't mean it daily, I meant 10,000 total visits (aggregate all websites) per month. That makes just around 350pageviews/day.

Quote:
The goal with WordPress should be to use the least number of plugins possible. Most add overhead that makes the site run poorly, and often runs over the resource allocations of shared hosting. A good cache plugin is suggested, yes. I suggest the combo of DB-Cache Reloaded Fix + Hypercache Extended. Avoid W3TC and SuperCache, as both tend to use high resources themselves.
Thanks for this. Then which cache plugin you suggest for wordpress and prestashop?

Also can you suggest me which hosting package is better when we host multiple websites. For example: I have two choices now on namecheap, either I buy 2 Separate Value packages and divide 2websites in each package. Or I would go for Professional Package and host all 4 in one. Both will cost me the round same amount. As in both arvixe and namecheap I don't think resource usage is given better if I go for higher package, so separate small packages would be good isn't it? I have no experience with hosting wordpress and prestashop live so I don't have any idea how much resources they need. Although I am sure now not to use any unnecessary plugins. What you suggest about which Package I would go for.
07-02-2014, 11:57 PM

Ah! Monthly, not daily. Got it.

Although, it doesn't really change anything I wrote. Start shared, see how well it does. Hopefully, eventually, it will get larger and more popular. If/when that happens, upgrade as needed. Be sure to have a business plan in place (even if a hobby site!), so that it can generate at least enough income to pay for itself.

Now, on to the other question...

YES! Having two accounts at Namecheap would indeed be wiser. (A) It's more secure, having 2 domains on 2 accounts, as opposed to 4 domains on 1 account. (B) You have more resources this way, since each account is allocated resources, not domains/sites.

Thanks,
-KP

07-03-2014, 06:16 AM
Free Member

Thanks kpmedia.
Suddenly I just saw that StableHost's basic reseller package just cost $10/month. And with your 40% discount, I can also consider this for my websites. So now I am back to the same track again CANT DECIDE!!!! Its just so difficult. But I have removed Arvixe from the list to stop confusion, also their support isn't good too.

1) Namecheap(25GB Space) Value Package and Stablehost Stable Package(7GB Space) cost the same, so I can get two of any of them. So I can divide 4 websites into two packages.
2) Stablehost Basic Reseller Package.

Can you tell me if I get the Reseller Package and create accounts in it, will the resources limitation be divided in all the accounts or each account I create has its own resource limitations. What I want is:

1) Reliability.
2) Transparency, I really like that they could send me email when down time occurs 5times a week instead I see it myself 1 time.
3) Good and fast customer support

So its again you, but this time its Stablehost or Namecheap. I am sorry to ask so many questions and thanks also for replying.
07-03-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Can you tell me if I get the Reseller Package and create accounts in it, will the resources limitation be divided in all the accounts or each account I create has its own resource limitations.
It can be done both ways, I believe. The "per account" resources exist inherently. The "per reseller" is highly requested by hosts, and is/was being worked on. I forget the status of that -- not sure if it's out yet, or implemented anyway. I'd email Stablehost sales to get the current best information.

Ask here: Stablehost.com

Stablehost is probably the most transparent host out here. It's one reason we rank it so high. They're probably one of the most honest operations out there. Note that Namecheap and EuroVPS are too. But Stablehost goes one further, and volunteers information that most hosts would not be forthcoming about (example: server density).

Most hosts have a status page of some kind that you'd need to check. Sometimes hosts send emails, but it's not 100% of the time with anybody. If you want to monitor your site, use a monitoring service like Uptime Robot (free!). Note: NOT Pingdom! I plan to soon expand on monitoring options out there, but it'll be several week minimum before I finish everything for it. (We only do in-depth articles on digitalFAQ.com! And that takes time.)

Stablehost is very fast for support. Them, LiquidWeb and EuroVPS are among the fastest around, in under 30 minutes.

Namecheap vs Stablehost is a good contest -- and you'll win with either that you pick.

I don't mind questions, that's why we added a forum 10+ years ago.

07-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Free Member

Oh No... Just as I thought everything is fine now, and I was buying the reseller package from Stablehost using your coupon: SAVE40OFF it does not work for Reseller Packages

The only discount available for Reseller Package is: which discounts 50% of cost for only first billing cycle after that it will cost me $120/year
07-04-2014, 11:20 PM

Yes, I always forget about the 40% discount only applying to the shared hosting -- not reseller or VPS. Not sure about Enterprise, either. (And where did that reseller coupon code come from?)

Then it sounds like you need to fall back to plan B -- two Namecheap accounts.

You can also get two Stablehost accounts. (But the 40% coupon will only work for one. And no, you can't use different coupons.)

You can also get one Namecheap, and one Stablehost, to spread it around. That may be the best idea yet.

07-05-2014, 05:00 AM
Free Member

That reseller coupon is not reseller specific, it works on all the packages I think. I got it from stablehostcoupons.com

Yes either I could get 2Namecheap Value packages or 2Stablehost Stable Packages(at 50% discount for life - ""). Both will cost the same.

Yes I can also get one of each, but even I do it will be difficult to compare them since one of it will have prestashop and 1blog and other would have 2 blogs.

I am leaning towards reseller basic package of Stablehost, since reseller will give separate resources to each hosting (I confirmed it through helpdesk). In this way, I can easily manage and monitor the resources being used on each site. kpmedia, have you had experience with crocweb reseller hosting? The basic reseller package gives 20GB storage and if I go for 2years it will cost around same for Stablehost reseller basic package but get only 10GB.
07-05-2014, 05:04 AM

If you use those other coupons, you help those sites and not this one. And then any coupon they can get, we can get.
What happens when you use HALFPRICE coupon code?

Crocweb is not as good as Stablehost. They're not bad, but the servers are slower, and the tech support is slower. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Several hosts are better.

I do think the Stablehost reseller plan is the best move here. It's what I do.

07-05-2014, 05:09 AM
Free Member

That "HALFPRICE" Does not work

It says: "The promotion code entered has expired"

Sorry, kpmedia I don't understand what you mean by their? How using Stablehost coupon help your site?