Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Free Member

Hi there!

I'd like to know from Veerotech VPS users what are the disk IO and IOPS performance and network download speed from within the VPS. Has anyone done such benchmarks?

Thanks,
- Scirious.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

We have some, yes. I can share those with you tomorrow.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
09-23-2014, 02:59 PM
Free Member

Ok, Kpmedia!
I'll keep waiting.
Thanks.

-- merged --

Did you get to do this benchmark with Veerotech by any chance?

Also, I've been trying EuroVPS but their Control Panel doesn't work well with the VPS. For instance, my bandwidth is always showing 0.00 KB. And the New Relic account doesn't show the month usage, just a snapshot of the moment. How do you track your month bandwidth there?

-- merged --

I'm trying EuroVPS after reading your recommendations around but I'm not impressed by their support. How come they take more than an hour to reply to a ticked just to ask me to clarify the request? In the same time Veerotech answered two sales questions. I would just like to know the benchmark...

=/

Thanks,
- Scirious.
09-25-2014, 10:15 AM

With EuroVPS, what did you request? Depending on what it was, sometimes certain L3 support will be needed. I've had some requests that take 1-2 hours, but that's not the norm. Most are answered far faster. One of the things that I'm planning to do here eventually is show all of my tickets for the past 8 years. They really do an excellent job.

For usage, I've always relied on Plesk or cPanel for the reporting. It's more accurate.

New Relic is still new technology. Like you, I'm still feeling it out. I had been using something else for the past 2 years, but the company was sold, and the new owner discontinued it. To be completely honest, it's not one of our priorities, so learning New Relic has been slow. We won't really take a serious look at it until next year.

I can't find the Veerotech iops benchmarks right now, so I'll have to log in and take new ones. That's probably best anyway.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
09-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Free Member

Hi kpmedia!

It is actually hard to explain. My sites don't really need a VPS but I have a strict requirement for e-mail spam filtering that should be easier resolved in a VPS. Thus I use a VPS. The requirement is that I use a dedicated spam filter. Currently using PostLayer.com since they are not expensive and provide CYREN scan. I do receive lots of spam (more than 3K spam messages per month) and even though it doesn't detect a 100% of it they do detect a lot better than SpamAssassin and I can pay by mailbox instead of domain. But, as they miss some detections I have to report it back to PostLayer so they can improve their detection.

However, some of my reports get flagged by SpamAssassin outgoing filter or any other filter enabled in the server. My two options would be to fully disable outgoind spam and malware detection or whitelist their report addresses. None of this can be done on a shared server, so I have to go the VPS route. As I'm not the most expirienced server admin I usually go with a managed provider. And the most problematic request with EuroVPS has been about this.

As I don't want to be fully vulnerable I'd asked them to enable outgoing scan and whitelist the address. Their first response took 13 minuts and was just asking for clarification and were I got my cPanel license (I own a separed license I bought elsewhere but talked to sales before I use it in their servers). I answered and it tooke them over an hour to re-request for clarification. After my last response it took them 5 hours to just say it wasn't possible even though it had been done in other providers before.

Besides that there was a ticket where I asked about disk performance. I'm in a pure SSD VPS and getting only around 2k IOPS. They even questioned that ioping only test the file system and not the disk. Hoever, I get better performance from cheaper providers: Linode gives me around 4K IOPS in a US$ 10 VPS and Vultr gives me near 7k IOPS ina close configuration US$ 35 VPS. I would expect a lot more from a 49€ VPS. Even when sales told my they could reach 50K IOPS. Actually, KnownHost had better IOPS even in a non-SSD disk. So I want to try new providers, but as Veerotech has no moneyback guarantee I'd like to know it's performance before.

Sorry for the long post.
09-25-2014, 05:25 PM

Hey, we like long posts here. It means details.

PostLayer.com looks interesting. I may investigate that myself. I've never heard of it. (And there's a chance that the tech at EuroVPS had never heard of it either. There's lots of software and services out there, and nobody can ever know them all. I'd cut them some slack here. That's probably why he asked for clarification.)

Do you have one of the managed EuroVPS plans, or the unmanaged EcoVPS plan? Having management, but not buying cPanel from them, was probably confusing. I've done that too -- LicensePal for licensing, and then I get management as my insurance. (I know enough that I don't need management, but it's sometimes nice to have. It's worth it.) These days, most managed providers require you to buy cPanel from them, or it's "included" in the price of the hosting. (Quotes because they just price the plan $10-15 higher.)

I vaguely remember the WHM option to whitelist addresses, possibly from SpamAssassin checks. I've never done it, so I'd have to look for it. Again, the tech helping you may have not known it, because it's rarely requested that I've ever seen/heard.

I have a feeling that iops can easily be fudged. I've been saying this for months now on several sites. Between kiddie hosts like GVH, and premium hosts like LiquidWeb or EuroVPS, some things just do not add up. I've seen odd results (both - and +) in the past. Budget hosts are getting sneaky when it comes to benchmarking, and other shenanigans. I recently learned about "slabbing" a server, which makes a mess, but fools (or lies to!) the customers.

I'll run some tests at both Veerotech and EuroVPS, and see what I get. The important thing to realize is that iops is just 1 of many tests that shows the overall quality of a server. And the server is only part of what makes a quality host. I would not base a hosting decision on ioping!

Thanks,
-KP

09-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Free Member

Hi kpmedia!

I have a managed VPS with EuroVPS, not EcoVPS. I'm in the entrance SSD plan: 49€. However I'm more satisfied now. I also know the basics of managing a server, but it isn't my focus. So I usually get managed services. But I'm feeling a lot of managed options to be too limited. I left knownHost because of this: too much out of the scope. They just do the cPanel stuff and anything outside of cPanel may be done but I can be without support for it in the future. MariaDB is one of those. It seems only Wiredtree supports it. With KnownHost they said they could do it but I would be without support for it. After a pre-sales talk with Veerotech Brent said it was incompatible with cPanel. LiquidWeb told me I would need to get core-managed without cPanel to use MariaDB.

Well, Wiredtree manages MariaDB with cPanel with no problem. EuroVPS I can't comment be cues I've installed MariaDB myself and haven't even asked them.

However, the last problem was talking to EuroVPS support was about an Exim configuration. So I don't say it is problem of different softwares and services. But now I'm better. They didn't do it as I asked but they found a different way of doing it and it is the first provider to actually manages to get it working.

On another subject, do you know of any other managed provider that officially support MariaDB?

Thanks,
- Scirious
09-25-2014, 06:23 PM

MariaDB (or Percona)

Do I know of hosts that support it? Sadly, no. It's mostly because of panels not supporting it.

cPanel has a lot of issues and limitations these days. I don't venture too far outside of base packages (MySQL, Apache) and plugins (Unixy Varnish) as a result, because updates too often break customizations. It's getting to be annoying, and I have a feeling that something else will overtake cPanel in the next 5 years if they don't get their $hit together. I don't have time to fix the server. I got it to USE it!

Plesk has made great strides in native support of things like PHP-FPM, nginx and even WordPress. Plesk 12 is awesome, but a lot of providers (yes, even EuroVPS) have yet to upgrade. I keep hounding them for the upgrade. "Are we there yet!?"

Although not yet native, Parallels does have documentation for MariaDB or Percona replacement:
ftp://download1.parallels.net/Plesk/...uide/72943.htm

You may want to consider switching panels. When EuroVPS offers Plesk 12 (hopefully any day now), I'm moving some of my projects to Plesk. I already had them upgrade my Windows VPS to Plesk 11.5 recently, as it was finally worth doing.

I have a feeling Maria/Percona (maybe even NoSQL?) will be native by Plesk 12.5 or 13.

cPanel developers, by contrast, still mostly have their heads up their @sses.

I use cPanel, and for a while there is was better than Plesk (10.x to 11.0 Linux era). But I'm not a fan of it. cPanel has more "features", but Plesk has more current functionality for the actual sites -- the reason you have the web server!!

EuroVPS support

You'll find that "sorry, we don't support that" is rarely something that EuroVPS says. It's have to be way, way outside the scope for them to just not help.

FYI: "Fast" support is generally anything within 2 hours. Good is 4 hours. Most hosts are actually slower, with same-day help. My average support ticket speed with EuroVPS has been around 30 minutes. It really just depends on the difficulty of the question. Not all techs know everything -- they're just people like us. But I will say this -- the reason I know as much as I do is because of using EuroVPS for 8+ years now. They've explained things in detail when I was just confused by it all.

09-25-2014, 06:50 PM
Free Member

Hi kpmedia!

Actually Plesk 12 with Centos 7 doesn't even install MySQL, it comes directly with MariaDB.
10-06-2014, 10:41 PM
Free Member

Hi there!

Just one more note. EuroVPS has a good product and they might be on AMS-IX,but Brazil does't peer very well. All our data traffic goes by US before reaching Europe or anywhere else.
10-06-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scirious View Post
Hi there!
Just one more note. EuroVPS has a good product and they might be on AMS-IX,but Brazil does't peer very well. All our data traffic goes by US before reaching Europe or anywhere else.
Yeah, that's basically a two-continent hop. One hop is fine, but two can cause slowdowns. For South America, you need either SA or NA (USA-Canada-Mexico) hosting. Something in Dallas is probably ideal.

You'd be a really good candidate for either Site5 or Veerotech.

A while back, I formatted the Veerotech server, because that project was done. I'd not loaded anything on their again yet, including all the tools for testing. So that's why I've not been able to do the benchmarks just yet. It was really good, however. There's also quite a few other perks of using them. With the recent outbreak of spamming, their SpamExperts options have been very nice.

You should give one of them a try -- either Site5 or Veerotech.

10-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Free Member

Actually I've found out that the east coast gives the best latency results to Brazil.
10-07-2014, 09:37 AM

Which host?
How far north is the 'east coast' to you? Phoenix, LA, Seattle, etc.
We may also be looking at a backhaul situation.

10-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Free Member

Any host, actually. If it is in Newark, New Jersey, New York, Atlanta, North Carolina (one of the fastest locations), Miami. Even Michigan and Chicago are better.

Kp, which VPS control panel is used by Veerotech? Is it SolusVM or any other?
10-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Free Member

Hi Kp!

Would you mind asking them if they would support full disk encryption in a way that it would boot only if given the right password and no data could be accesses without booting the system?

Thanks,
- Daniel Bittar.
Closed Thread