Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Free Member

I have been installing sites on my new StableHost account and I have repeatedly run into annoying security issues.

For example, this morning when logging into a site for the first time I got a "too many WP-Logins message". I waited a few minutes and hit refresh then I got a "flood protection" error because there were too many requests from a single IP address or something like that.

So I tried to log into another site (each site is on its own account) and got the same flood protection error.

I can understand the need for security. But this is almost as bad as the reason I left my previous host of 10+ years. I can't seem to get any work done - you know like write content, finish setups, upgrade WP, etc. for all the error messages.

Anyone else have this issue with StableHost? If this is the way they are, I'll have to move again. I was afraid of this uncertainty and the possibility of having to go host hopping after having such a good experience at my previous host for such a long time until recently.

-- merged --

Support told me that they have a 10 login limit from the same IP address in a 3 minute window.

My way of working is to have several browsers open at the same time and so I can see that this may cause the problem.

I'll try to figure out how to adjust my multitasking and see if I can eliminate the problem without it driving me crazy in the process.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

What you probably encountered was Varnish.

There is a new Varnish plugin in beta right now, and I think they're using it. If I remember, I'll ask the owner about it this weekend. Personally, I think 10 per 180s is a bit too strict, so hopefully they'll be adjusting it.

Realize that having Varnish is a good thing -- assuming this is what it is.

It could also be mod_security, but I don't think so given the error messages. It sounds like Varnish rate limiting.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
12-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Free Member

I know they use Varnish because at the beginning they rebooted it so that I could get in and the error messages say they are Varnish.

But one tech said it was mod security.
Closed Thread