digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Web Hosting (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-hosting/)
-   -   Stablehost vs. Veerotech for blog site? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-hosting/6679-stablehost-vs-veerotech.html)

via Email or PM 08-18-2015 06:45 AM

Stablehost vs. Veerotech for blog site?

Is there a reason to choose one over the other? I've narrowed down to 2 choices for a project and blog site, StableHost and Veerotech, I just wanted to know if, since I primarily got the recommendations from your posts, if one is preferred over the other for any reason. Simple curiosity.

This question was asked via email. Site Staff no longer answer tech questions via email, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

kpmedia 08-18-2015 07:02 AM

Welcome. :tiphat:

Excellent question. :congrats:

Yes, Stablehost and Veerotech do have some differences.

The primary difference is in the upgrade paths.

Stablehost mostly has shared plans. Single-user/site shared hosting, multi-domain/reseller hosting, and higher-resource single-user/site hosting. (Note: Addon domains are huge security risks, which is why I refer to non-reseller as single-site plans.)

They do have VPS, and their VPS do perform well. But honestly, their semi-dedicated plans are better than the VPS, as the VPS use the old OpenVZ technology from the 2000s. Even the maker of OpenVZ has admitted it's antiquated, as is discontinuing and altering the product in the future.

So will your site grow? Will you ever need anything non-standard for the site? That's the question that will determine who you go with.

Veerotech has excellent shared/reseller plans, not much different from Stablehost.

However, they don't have semi-dedicated plans. A semi-dedi plans is essentially as resource-rich as a decent 2gb VPS, but with zero management costs. The only aspect of the semi-dedi is that you still cannot run anything custom on the server.

But Veerotech also has high-end cloud infrastructure (real clouds!) for their VPS. It's a very modern VMware-based solution, though they may switch to an even more modern "stack" in the near future (and I'm currently awaiting that info, as I had a conversation with the owner earlier this week). Those are excellent VPS setups.

They also have dedicated options.

Minor differences:

- Stablehost on west cast (Phoenix), Veerotech on east coast (North Carolina)
- Stablehost is pure SSD, Veerotech is RAID-10 -- understand that speed difference are negligible on shared plans (CloudLinux limits)
- Stablehost SpamExperts is account-wide (they host SE), Veerotech is per-domain (SE hosted)
- Stablehost has switched to an unlimited-space business model, while Veerotech gives generous space
- Support is both fast and effective at both hosts. SH may have slight edge, but it is very close.

My experience:

I use Stablehost heavily for my personal project and sites, and have since 2008. I have no complaints whatsoever; most hosts have (at least) moments of let-down. It's perfect for my small/medium use needs.

We use Veerotech for secondary needs for this site, as well as related business endeavors. It's perfect for our enterprise-grade requirements. Same as SH, zero complaints.

Pick your poison: Veerotech.net or Stablehost.com -- neither will be a bad choice. :thumb:

Need a good web host? — Read our 2018 Review of the Best Web Hosts
Quite often, problems with web sites are caused by having a rotten web host. Worse yet, many hosts try to blame you (the customer) for the problems! So dump that lousy company. Say goodbye to slow sites, unresponsive support techs, and downtime. Find yourself a new host today. Whether you need shared, reseller, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or dedicated hosting, something on our list should be a good upgrade for you.

sobe 08-18-2015 02:58 PM

VT added a semi-dedicated plan a little while ago, so that's always an option for me in the future (This will be a little hobby for me to play with). Great to hear there are no glaring issues in the shared environment at least for either.

Thank you for the write-up KP, looks like I'll be giving VT a go.

admin 08-18-2015 03:07 PM

Do us a favor, and use our link, so they know we sent you: veerotech.net

If you let us know exactly which plan you're after, we can also be sure to give you the best discount coupon available (sometime their weekly promos are best, sometime our exclusive codes are best).

We shifted a lot of things in 2015, and Veerotech was a major part of it.

sobe 08-18-2015 03:26 PM

The have a 50% off recurring coupon right now that I will be taking advantage of :)

I had started a wordpress blog a year ago, but I ran into issues regarding security which allowed someone or some bot implant malicious files in various directories that caused an issue with spam emails being sent out under my domain. Now that I'm back at school and such and will be using for school projects in relation to coding, I will be starting back up a blog, but this time have it nailed down so what happened last time, does not happen again.

In such, I will be starting with their basic plan, as 20GB is way more than enough. If my little blog expands, I will of course be inclined to go the way of semi-dedi to help with resources. I will certainly be happy to use the affiliate link!

kpmedia 08-18-2015 03:44 PM

We use cxs on all of our servers, and it's really good at thwarting exploits, even 0days.
Learn more: http://configserver.com/cp/cxs.html

I believe Veerotech uses cxs as well, though you'd want to check.

Because it's "not free", most hosts don't use it, opting instead for maldet. However cxs is a Ferrari, while maldet is a Honda.

sobe 08-20-2015 12:44 AM

Just wanted to update this and say that I ordered from VT, now I just need to wait for my domain sitting at NameSilo to finish the transfer at the registry coming from FreshRoastedHosting.

Keeping in mind of course I have nothing but good to say about FRH in my year with them as my primary host aside from that incident where thousands upon thousands of spam emails were sent out from my domain in under 30minutes time due to the security of what I can only assume was my Wordpress installation albeit only being a dry run and not even "live" (was messing with the theme getting it set up to my liking for a few weeks). But their support helped me get it under control and pointed out the malicious files found throughout the directories. I am simply changing hosts to see what else is out there, but primarily one that offers semi-dedi for future upgrades down the road.

Thank you very much for your in-depth insight into the hosting do's and don'ts as well as the information in regards to current upstanding hosting establishments.

kpmedia 08-21-2015 06:04 AM

Fresh Roast Hosting was bought out by another company this summer, and initial feedback has not been good. There were downtimes, days-long lack of contact, and I believe their site was down at one point. It looked as if the host had vanished. When a host is bought, you're essentially moving to a knew host unwillingly.

The fact that they let thousands of emails go out from your account reveals terrible admin'ing on their part. cPanel should have been limited to a few hundred hourly emails, so that this would never happen. They risked their own IPs for blacklisting, and thus you as a customer would have email problems.

The fact that malicious files were injected into WP means that they likely lacked a quality anti-malware on their servers, such as cxs or maldet (or both). Again, bad admin'ing. FYI: That's why many big hosts have hacking issues, as they were too cheap/lazy to add software for their customer's safety.

Bet you didn't know all that? ;)

sobe 08-21-2015 06:20 AM

Actually, I did not. My knowledge of server related back-end, sadly, is not that great. The most experience I have personally is more along the lines of simple Win2k, etc. setups for the absolute basics in a closed network.

Hearing all that though, at the very least I can report I had no downtime during that migration this past July :P I do have to agree with rest though, certainly a no bueno situation. I think the total amount of emails sent out was around 18k or so. Somewhere up there, it got bad. I was happy they helped in resolving it, but it was one of those things that made me cringe as the site not even being live I already had to shut it down due to something like that.