Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Free Member

Continued from http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...html#post39468

Quote:
Keeping in mind of course I have nothing but good to say about FRH in my year with them as my primary host aside from that incident where thousands upon thousands of spam emails were sent out from my domain in under 30minutes time due to the security of what I can only assume was my Wordpress installation albeit only being a dry run and not even "live" (was messing with the theme getting it set up to my liking for a few weeks). But their support helped me get it under control and pointed out the malicious files found throughout the directories. I am simply changing hosts to see what else is out there, but primarily one that offers semi-dedi for future upgrades down the road.
I was on reddit uploading some pics and noticed I had this from when I was documenting a couple things to help with in regards to support.

http://imgur.com/a/0hJPV

It was a root email addy that cpanel auto-assigned for my account (that I never used) and things just went haywire. That Inbox amount of emails btw, that 6300 formed in a span of 10-30minutes, it was.... pretty bad when that went down.

See images...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg frh1.jpg (87.3 KB, 0 downloads)
File Type: jpg frh2.jpg (62.2 KB, 0 downloads)
File Type: jpg frh3.jpg (58.3 KB, 0 downloads)
File Type: jpg frh4.jpg (14.0 KB, 0 downloads)
File Type: jpg frh5.jpg (184.3 KB, 0 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-29-2015, 09:11 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

That wasn't just bad -- it was pathetic.

As I mentioned on that last post:
Quote:
The fact that they let thousands of emails go out from your account reveals terrible admin'ing on their part. cPanel should have been limited to a few hundred hourly emails, so that this would never happen. They risked their own IPs for blacklisting, and thus you as a customer would have email problems.

The fact that malicious files were injected into WP means that they likely lacked a quality anti-malware on their servers, such as cxs or maldet (or both). Again, bad admin'ing. FYI: That's why many big hosts have hacking issues, as they were too cheap/lazy to add software for their customer's safety.
Is WordPress being exploitable your fault? Perhaps. It depends on the exact exploit. Honestly, many times, it is user error. There are many ways to secure a WordPress site. It is very porous and vulnerable to attack. That's why many people now opt for managed WordPress hosting, as trying to maintain both WP and the site content is too much for a person (or even several people) to do adequately.

And, as I said, there are addition security measures that a host can use to mitigate exploits.

However, was FreshRoastHosting also at fault? Yes again. The fact that they allowed thousands of emails to abuse their system, within mere minutes, points to incompetent server administration. That was fully preventable, and is their own fault. They risk being blacklisted, which would effect all of the customers. That's really quite pathetic.

I was never 100% convinced that FRH was a competent host, and that really confirms my suspicions that they were not.

That said, the old FRH is gone as of mid 2015, sold by the owners. So hopefully the new owners are better. We'll see.

I'm glad that you were mostly satisfied with them as a host. However, I think you just got lucky, given these facts. And you'll never be 100% certain that email send to you wasn't being bounced due to blacklisting. A quality host is more on top of their game than this.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Closed Thread