Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Website and Server Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

If you're having trouble with 401.3 on an ASP.NET app like MailEnable, then you're in the right place.
I have one confirmed working solution that you should try!

Preface: Installing MailEnable

Parallels Plesk 9.x for Windows comes with MailEnable 1.9 and the super-dupper crappy Horde webmail by default. If you have a dedicated server or VPS, or a really nice shared Windows host, then you can easily upgrade to MailEnable 4.26, which includes the free Standard Edition webmail app.

Download it for free from http://mailenable.com/downloadprevious.asp

NOTE: Yes, this is a previous version, not the current version 5.x. I've seen a lot of mixed information on how well 5.x will install (lots of failure stories on the MailEnable and Parallels forums), so I'd suggest simply using what's known to work. And honestly, there's not much difference between 4.x and 5.x -- both of them look good, and work well, with all the basic features that make it a very Exchange-like or Outlook-like webmail interface. Anyway...

MailEnable has a very over-simplified KB entry on the upgrade: http://www.mailenable.com/kb/content...sp?ID=ME020040
They give two screenshots, but it should have been closer to a dozen. You more or less just keep clicking YES and OK, as you want to leave all the defaults as is -- else you may screw up the Plesk integration. The only unique information you'll really need is the nameservers for the machine.

Then you'll go back to Plesk, go to the Server Components menus, and Refresh. Plesk 9.x will automatically see the newly installed MailEnable 4.x, and you can click on Webmail and select your new MailEnable Web Mail 2.0.

Now once this is all done, and you've added your DNS entries to connect webmail.mydomain.com (and it's has time to propagate), it should simply work. In fact, I've installed it twice before today, and it was always perfectly fine!

But not today. Today I get this ugly error when I go to webmail.mydomain.com:

mailenable-4013error.gif

Note: You must be logged in to view images. Either login or register now (it's free!). Your email is not sold, we don't spam.

That, of course, is the error message viewed from the server itself, in Windows via Remote Desktop (RDP). The non-local browser error is a generic error message (either 400, 401 or 500 -- I forgot to note what it was).

Troubleshooting the 401.3 Authentication Error

MailEnable webmail is an Asp.NET application.
When it's combined with Plesk:
  • a dummy vhosts folder (webmail\mewebmail) is linked to all webmail.yourdomains.com
  • which redirects to the actual .NET app
  • which is setup as a site in IIS: webmail(mewebmail)
  • which calls up the virtual directoy C:\Parallels\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Bin\NETWebMail
  • and whiz bang boom -- you get MailEnable in your browser.
Do you see how we could have problems? That's a pretty big chain.

But here's the strange thing...
I could still access the .NET app, from directly from the actual URL of MailEnable:

I was able to login to webmail and use it without any problems.
Code:
http://webmail.mydomain.com/mewebmail/HooDoo/lang/EN/login.aspx
I only got a 401.3 fail from the http://webmail.mydomain.com/ URL!

Fixing the 401.3 Authentication Error

Based on some Google searching and reading at a few IIS sites, this situation is somewhat common with Asp.NET applications. Anonymous authentication is not working as it should. I have to be honest -- I don't truly comprehend what's going on here. I can only guess that it has something to do with the referrer and the authentication not passing, as the redirects are going on in the background.

The solution was relatively simple -- change the anonymous access from IUSR to 'Application pool identity' for the webmail(mewebmail) site. This is really quick and easy to do in your VPS or on your dedicated server:
  1. Go to Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
  2. Expand your server
  3. Expand Sites
  4. Click on webmail(mewebmail)
  5. Right-click on Anonymous Authentication and Edit
  6. Change to the second radio button -- Application Pool Identity
  7. OK
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Note: You must be logged in to view images. Either login or register now (it's free!). Your email is not sold, we don't spam.

That's it. Webmail is now working.

And if I'm reading it correctly at microsoft.com and iis.net, this is actually more secure than using the system-wide IUSR accout anyway. So double benefit, I think. Can't beat that.

Parting Thoughts...

While this was was written specifically about the MailEnable webmail software, it's apparently somewhat generic info that may apply in other scenarios -- especially for ASP.NET applications based on forum posts I saw.

This is something I tried based on the generic .NET related posts, and I gambled that it would work on MailEnable. I won this bet.

This issue happened on a Windows 2008 IIS 7 VPS, running Plesk 9.5.4. Previous error-free installs had been on Windows 2008 IIS 7 dedicated servers, running Plesk 9.3. I don't know if that has any relation, one Plesk vs another, or VPS vs dedicated, but figured I'd mention it.

If this post has been helpful, then
register as a Free Member and click the THANKS button about 2 inches down and to the right. Or please consider a small donation to help support what we do here, which is to provide help for all digital media topics, be it video, photo or web design/tech related issues.

And since we're talking about a hosting-related topic, I also want to mention this...

If you're in need of a good Windows VPS or Windows dedicated server, that will give you near-100% uptime, and for a very competitive price (not dirt-cheap crap, yet not expensive), then you really need to consider hosting with EuroVPS. Not in Europe? Not a problem -- being based in the Leaseweb datacenter means they have some of the fastest speeds worldwide, as Leaseweb is well-peered. And then EuroVPS uses some of the newest and highest grade hardware in the industry, which also equates to giving you a fast site. For the past 5 years we've relied on EuroVPS, and they've never let us down. EuroVPS is #1 on our recently-updated 2011 top 10 web hosts list.

Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Free Member

Hello!

I have this problem but with Windows 2003 Server... Could you help me with this os version.

Thank You!
07-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by activacionmx View Post
I have this problem but with Windows 2003 Server... Could you help me with this os version.
Win2008 and Win2003 are not too terribly different. I may be able to help.

Just to clarify, are you getting this 401.3 error with MailEnable, and not some other application? Because my experience with this exact error has, thus far, only been with this exact application. In order to apply this fix to the general 401.3 error, you'll just need to "play around" with the IUSR and app pool settings for the related domain.

If you want to PM me with your login credentials., I can take a look at it. Usually I would not make such a request, but I don't currently have access to a Windows 2003 Server. Most everything has been upgraded to Windows 2008 since February. (I realize there's an issue of trust with such a request, but I can't think of a better way to see the issue, aside from copious screen shots.)

Oh, and welcome to the site.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.