Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Website and Server Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Free Member

I'm getting worried now that the JaguarPC Los Angeles datacenter servers have problems!
Currently editing pages in WordPress is a bane as Visual editor is not opening!

Thank you.

This question has been split from another post or thread. This was done in order to address the topic more in depth, make it easier to find via forum searches, as well as prevent the other post/thread from going too far off-topic. Please continue this part of the conversation here. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Free Member

LOL... think my bad. .I just troubleshooted the Wordpress, and it was Ultimate TinyMCE plugin that was the problem.. i don't know why....
After the site migration, lots of things do not work....
Have since used Advanced TinyMCE instead...
05-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Issues with WordPress can be caused by many things. A common fault is the cache, when the issue appears shortly after migration. This applies both to WordPress cache plugins, as well as server-side caching (APC, memcached, Varnish, etc). Always disable (and purge) cache plugins before migration. If you mess up, and don't disable it beforehand, you may need to uninstall (or delete the plugin files), and manually remove the caching files via FTP. Then reinstall it.

I generally dissuade WP users from exchanging the native WYSIWYG editor. The plugins tend to be worse, not better.

The same applies to vBulletin, MyBB, phpBB, SMF, and quite a few other content management systems.

I'm having a heck of a time with a vBulletin site right now, for this very reason. And I just finished having one with a phpBB site, too. So even when you know what you're doing, systems can revolt anyway.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Free Member

Well the default TinyMCE, doesn't have Insert Table function.. hehe.. which we all need!

I didn't install any Cache plugin for his WP... so maybe I had to remove cache manually -- but I don' really know where to delete in WP folders. LOL

I guess it was the same with Opencart, I had to remove some cache for it to work again...

Thanks!
06-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I understand the table issue.
Have you considered using WP-Table Reloaded instead? Available at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-table-reloaded/

I've been looking to write a better table plugin, when I get a chance. Maybe later in the year?

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Free Member

you're a dear!! LOL
I'll consider using that Table Reloaded.... plugin for my own site...
His is just a temporary WP while I'm doing the Opencart for him.
USD is up.... which will increase the cost of his Oc extensions unfortunately..
06-03-2012, 01:44 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustine View Post
increase the cost of his Oc extensions unfortunately..
Have you considered Magento instead of OpenCart?
I find that there's more free extensions and themes available, and I far prefer coding Magento sites.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-03-2012, 02:21 AM
Free Member

Unfortunately I have started on the theme he wants for his OC.

And I think Magento is resources hungry?
The themes also cost more.
I'm not really a coder and I'm more geared towards OC.. for its ease of use...

Thanks.
06-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faustine View Post
And I think Magento is resources hungry?
It can be.

It really depends on the size of the store, and how well-coded any non-OOB (out of the box) modules are. Like any other PHP application -- be it WordPress, vBulletin, Joomla, etc -- the quality of the coding, combined with the size of the traffic, really determines the resource use. I've seen WordPress sites with 100 daily visitors tank a server, while a better site can support thousands of users effortlessly.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Free Member

Don't really wanna take that chance... I did try the demo of Magento quite some back.. its way too robust..... for me to fully understand.. and just the fact about resource turned me off.