Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Website and Server Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

For several days, vBulletin was not sending emails to recipients of private messages. When your members are used to emails, they rarely think to manually check their PM box (even if they visit the site regularly), so this was a huge problem. I checked all the SMTP settings, ran the admincp diagnostics (passed), and PM'd myself several times with a test account. Nothing seemed to work.

-- I could receive emails sent with the 'Send Email to Users' function under Users in admincp.
-- I would receive email notifications for replies to posts.
-- And I'd receive emails in our custom queue, for when new posts are made.

... but private message email notifications still failed! ARGH!

The solution:

As it turned out, something was wrong with the mail server. It was seemingly accepting the mail login, but then failing to accept and send the message it was given -- but only when initiated from within vBulletin. The mail server was rebooted, and all was well. In fact, for the sake of my own sanity, all services were restarted -- MySQL, PHP, the webserver, mail servers, DNS, everything. No problem since then.

When in doubt, always reboot, be it desktop/workstation or server.

Need a good host?
Find one here from our list: List of the Best Web Hosts in 2012 - Shared, reseller and VPS hosting

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors