digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Website and Server Troubleshooting (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-tech/)
-   -   Magento eCommerce Website Issues (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-tech/4606-magento-ecommerce-website.html)

umerseoig 09-26-2012 07:38 AM

Magento eCommerce Website Issues

Guys i have a website. i got it developed by an Indian Developer, and he totally destroyed my website.

I didn't know he was using a stolen template, the site worked good for a few months, but then a problem occurred. A major problem, automatic generation of pages. and thousand of 404 Errors

I had total 300 products and max 400 pages in the site... but my indexing went over 85,000... Also the servers crashed twice a month and my traffic went down from 1600 to 500...

I'm totally confused, There was a chronicle error i fixed it, now the indexing it 7,000 or something, but still it's 10-12 times more than the actual pages. I'm worried.

What should I do?

kpmedia 09-26-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umerseoig (Post 23115)
i got it developed by an Indian Developer, and he totally destroyed my website.
I didn't know he was using a stolen template, the site worked good for a few months, but then a problem occurred. A major problem, automatic generation of pages. and thousand of 404 Errors

This is sadly the norm, not the exception. While I'm a supporter of the global marketplace (and have vendors and customers worldwide), the global market comes with two major problems:

1. Outsourcing based on costs, which results in lower standards of quality.
2. Scammers and amateurs that disrupt the pricing of entire industries (mostly creative ones) with their theft and sloppy work.

A huge percentage of shoddy work comes from the middle east, especially Pakistan and India. And you'll find that virtually every low-ball offer is also from those shady developers in that part of the world. Most of the man-made (not bot-made) service spam on this site, by no coincidence, is from India and Pakistan. And much of it is for selling poorly edited stolen work.

(Side Note: For anybody that would cry "racist" or whatnot -- one of my best friends is Indian, so let's squash that theory right now. Clearly there are many good people in that part of the world. But for whatever reason, it also seems to contain a larger percentage of not-good ones. I'm sure there's some sort of socioeconomic political explanation that would account for it.)

Quote:

I had total 300 products and max 400 pages in the site... but my indexing went over 85,000... Also the servers crashed twice a month and my traffic went down from 1600 to 500...
I'm totally confused, There was a chronicle error i fixed it, now the indexing it 7,000 or something, but still it's 10-12 times more than the actual pages. I'm worried.
What should I do?
Traffic may be a separate issue, so try not to lump it together. Set that aside for now. As long as it's not 0, then it's actually not too likely that it's a related issue. Traffic patterns change, especially after the many updates Google and Bing have been making in 2011 and 2012 to downgrade certain types of sites.

I do understand your worries. I'd be worried, too.

I'll need to know:
  • What language the site is based on (Edit: The thread title answered this one: Magento, therefore PHP.)
  • What app (if any) is in use
  • The server/hosting specs, and who the host is. Sometimes things of this nature are hosting related, even though hosts may try to shrug off blame and pass the buck back to you.
.. and then I could give a better guess on what went wrong.

And welcome to the site. :)

umerseoig 09-27-2012 01:49 AM

I paid the guy around $700 for this small eCommerce site, but still, got shit in return... I've had some fine websites developed from Pakistani Developers for a few of my clients as well as colleagues..

I agree, but my site was not hit by Panda or Penguin, it was the server crash, the traffic went down jsut after that.. Now I'm trying and working on it.. so it's increasing slowly again..

Any how, I still don't know how to get this fixed and I'm an SEO, but not much of a developer... :think:

The website is hosted at Hostgator, and got the domain from Go Daddy. There are others issues in this site... like chronicle errors, thank God got that fixed.. But still the indexing is 15 times more..

I think some1 might have inserted a script in the comment/review box of the site to increase the CPU usage of the server which made it crash.

kpmedia 09-27-2012 03:49 AM

Magento can be a heavy-resource application, and tends to work quite poorly in shared hosting environments. You've likely hit CPU or RAM (MySQL query) limits, and are being throttled by the HostGator servers. The "unlimited" style hosts tend to throttle more than normal, too, because they have a bad tendency of overstuffing their servers with too many sites and clients. You may have "unlimited" space and bandwidth (with hidden limits), but you definitely don't have unlimited CPU/RAM.

I would wager on this being an issue of resources more than anything else. :2cents:

For a site like this, I would (at minimum) suggest a semi-dedicated (aka "enterprise") type of hosting account. This will give Magento more resources to operate from. Stablehost, MDDHosting, and Hawkhost are all excellent hosts with this type of plan, and those run about $20 to $25 per month. The next step up is managed VPS hosting, which is about $40-50 per month.

While exploit injections via comments are possible (under the right conditions), I'm not readily aware of any that exist on Magento right now. Most recently, an XXE exploit was possible, but that was patched with Magento 1.7 back in July. So unless you're running on outdated code, I don't think this is the issue. When exploits exist, usually the server is compromised, or he site is defaced. Based on supplied info, it doesn't seem that either of those have happened.

Site/server downtime actually corresponds with SEO. You can lose rank with slow or unresponsive sites.

At the moment, I'm developing (and debugging) a couple of sites. I could charge an analysis fee if you'd like for me to take a look at it, and I'll see what I can find. Though I do think the hosting itself is the most likely culprit.

umerseoig 09-27-2012 03:56 AM

Even I think the hosting is the main culprit here, but the site was at 1600 per day, fell down to 300, now is back at 600-700.. Hopefully it will grow with time..

I agree, non-responsive sites are really bad for SEO.. But thanks for all the detailed information. I really appreciate your efforts to help me.

Thanks you so much :)

kpmedia 09-27-2012 04:06 AM

Realize that HostGator was bought out by the infamous and deservedly-disliked company EIG over the summer. There have been credible reports of decreased quality since the buyout on various user forums and blogs, which is the standard modus operandi of EIG. So it's probably going to get worse, not better. I'd strongly suggest migration to a known-better hosts, and on the semi-dedi/enterprise plans.

Again: Stablehost, Hawkhost, MDDHosting. They'll get you taken care of. :thumb:

umerseoig 09-27-2012 04:18 AM

:O I didn't know that, because I had heard that Hostgator was one of the best, but just didn't see that when I bought it

lordsmurf 09-27-2012 04:59 AM

You probably read that on some "top 10" site, right? Realize that most of those "top 10" lists you find online are fake affiliate lists. The highest paying hosts are #1, #2, etc. The lists are not based on quality of the hosts, and the people who make them have no interest in helping you with good advice. They're just trying to cash in. Very, very few review sites have legitimate reviews of hosts.

You'll find one of the reliable/quality lists here on this site: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...ts-2012-a.html

Always verify the quality of the advice you're getting. :)

Because some people have ulterior motives, and are just using you. :(

umerseoig 09-27-2012 05:22 AM

Actually, a friend told me, he got in to the web business more than me so he suggested that go for Hostgator.. Some others friends suggest BlueHost.

And yes, that does happen on the web, A Lot!