Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Website and Server Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Free Member

Requesting help from KP Media or Lord Smurf.

Hey guys,

I uploaded a site, and the title and description show - Index of - in the search results.
I looked around and some people say that its got to do with a file in the cgi or I have to set Apache to point to .html files.
I'm not familiar with Stablehost's cPanel yet so I want to make sure that I'm not messing anything up.

Thanks,
Rey
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Rey View Post
I uploaded a site, and the title and description show - Index of - in the search results.
Can I get the URL of it?
If these are web pages, then you'll need to edit the header meta in the pages.

That also means this...
Quote:
some people say that its got to do with a file in the cgi or I have to set Apache to point to .html files.
... is bad advice. That's for editing the folder listing titles, not page titles. By default, folder indexes are off anyway. If you're not familiar with cPanel, then it's highly unlikely that you're referring to folder indexes, and the associated pages titles in that location.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Stablehost's cPanel yet so I want to make sure that I'm not messing anything up.
Asking for help is never a bad thing.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
12-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Free Member

Oh crap, I forgot to add the url: www.avidinspections.net

I also forgot to say that I used dreamweaver templates in this design because the client was a little indecisive and in a rush so I forgot to detach the template.
You'll see that I added the title and description after, and there's two titles and descriptions but one of them is in the non-editable region. I think this might be the problem but I don't want to detach the template and delete the title and description that I don't want without messing anything up on the server.

The reason I haven't asked Stablehost for any help is because the client signed up with them by herself and she didn't give me the log in info that I need. I haven't been able to get in contact with her either.

I want to get this fixed because it's clearly bugging me (a perfectionist) more than the client.

It's true, I'm not familiar with cpanel, yet. And the key word is yet.

Thanks Kp
12-11-2012, 05:55 AM

This is your current document head:

Code:
<head>  
     <link href="css/styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="cache" />
      <meta name="robots" content="INDEX, FOLLOW" />
      <meta name="keywords" content="Keywords" />
      <meta name="description" content="Description" />
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
      <title>Avid Inspections Ltd - Home Inspection, Mold Inspection, Mold Remediation</title>
      <meta name="google-site-verification" content="IaqvumXbjdOdw9lK-PRAw-4Jf582Au38S4qTuj1SM48" />
      <meta name="keywords" content="home inspector, home inspector toronto, home inspector gta, home inspection greater toronto area, mold inspector, mold inspector toronto, mold inspector gta, mold inspection greater toronto area, Mold Test, Mold Testing, Mold Testing gta, Mold Testing Greater Toronto Area" />
      <meta name="description" content="Are you getting ready to purchase a home? Before you close the deal,inspect it first! Our pre-purchase home inspection will give you the accurate information you need to make one of life's most important decisions with confidence." />
      <!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
      <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" -->
      <!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
</head>
The two you need to pay attention to for this error are TITLE and META NAME DESCRIPTION

Code:
<title>Avid Inspections Ltd - Home Inspection, Mold Inspection, Mold Remediation</title>
Code:
<meta name="description" content="Description" />
The title is the page title that shows in your browser and in search engines.
The description is the text that appears under your title.

You have a title, but no description. Replace content="Description" with content="What this site is about in two short sentences."

I think this is what you were after ... correct?

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

-----edit------

Didn't notice how old this was and already wrote it out....

-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Rey View Post
When someone types the URL www.example.com/ or www.example.com/somefolder/ that's a directory and not a file. The typical configuration file in an apache server will have default pages it will display when a request for directory is made; index.html , index.htm, index.php etc. What probably happened here is you didn't have a default page when Google spidered your site. Google your site and then mouseover the result you'll see a little arrow on the right, mouseover that and it will give you a screenshot of the page. You're probably going to see files listed.

If none of the default pages listed in the configuration file exist the next thing that happens is the server determines what the Options Indexes directive is set too. By default this directive is usually set to no and anyone trying to access the folder will get a forbidden message:

Code:
Options -Indexes.
If it's set too yes:

Code:
Options +Indexes.
Then it it will list all the files and folders in that directory. This is useful if for example you want a folder you can direct people to that will list the files and folders. It's simple way to allow people to browse files and folders on your server without having to maintain any pages.

I'm surprised this is set to yes by default as it's a potential security risk and other issues. As long as your web host allows it you can add custom .htaccess folder with the directive that denies listing them. .htacccess is cascading so if you only have to set the root folder to no. If you want to list a subdirectory and the files and folders in it then you can change that.

Do search on .htaccess for more info, your host is going to limit what you can and cannot do with .htaccess.

If they don't allow you to change it just create new blank text file called index.html and upload it to the folder, you'd use that for example if you have a directory full of images. It's actually a good practice regardless of whether you can change the directive.

Last edited by thecoalman; 02-25-2013 at 11:09 AM.
The following users thank thecoalman for this useful post: kpmedia (02-25-2013)
02-25-2013, 12:56 PM

The person is still around, so not too old.

Good stuff.

Tags
apache, cgi, index of