Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Website and Server Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Free Member

In a different direction, let me ask you about DNS. I'm in the process of migrating from HG's DNS servers to to registrar-based servers (GoDaddy). Something I noticed is CNAMEs are not present in DNS queries despite being in the zone file. I've tested this against several servers, using various tools, and the result is consistent. I do not recall seeing this behavior in the past. The CNAMEs DO resolve, but you can't query them. The folks at GoDaddy were unable to explain this behavior. I don't recall ever -not- seeing CNAMEs when using a query tool. Do you have any insight to this?

This question has been split from another post or thread. This was done in order to address the topic more in depth, make it easier to find via forum searches, as well as prevent the other post/thread from going too far off-topic. Please continue this part of the conversation here. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-09-2013, 01:52 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I need to write an editorial on Godaddy, too. Again, I think people would be shocked who their registrar is. In short, it's an equity-owned supporters of unpopular draconian laws that has stolen domains from customers. It spends money on affiliates an ads, but apparently nothing on its own quality. I could probably write on this topic for a full page, but again ... that's for an editorial.

In short, they're NOT to be trusted!

Namecheap and DirectNIC are better in a number of ways.

Godaddy support is often semi-qualified in my opinion -- lots of students, barely-skilled workers, etc. To work for Godaddy, it seems that you need be little more than a warm body that can answer phones, tickets or chat. The tech part is supplied by a script.

Anyway...

You don't need CNAME if you use all A records. Do you have both A record and CNAME for the same entry? (www, non-www, etc)

For CNAME, it works like this:
  • Computer: Hi, I'm looking for site.com
  • Server: Let me check. ... Okay, site.com is www.site.com
  • Computer: Um, yeah. So what's www.site.com?
  • Server: Let me check. ... Okay www.site.com is 1.2.3.4
A records are easier:
  • Computer: Hi, I'm looking for site.com
  • Server: Let me check. ... Okay www.site.com is 1.2.3.4
You can do it with .htaccess instead of CNAME.

The only time you really need a CNAME is when you point to another domains owned by someone else. In that case, A records aren't really an option.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Free Member

KP, we obviously need to change servers AND registrars. What is the best order in which to go about this?

- We have already switched DNS to be managed by godaddy instead of server

- we need to change servers

- we need to change registrars

Do we move our account to a new server first, then change registrars (I'm thinking this may be the quickest method)?

Also, do either Namecheap or DirectNIC manage the dns as part of their service?
08-09-2013, 09:00 AM

If you've switched to Godaddy within the past 60 days, you can't leave yet. You're stuck for now. (Go ahead and try to move, and see if that's changed.)

Namecheap is the better host for DNS management.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Free Member

Do you mean "if we registered the name with go daddy" OR did you mean "if we set up godaddy to manage the dns" that we can't leave for 60 days?
08-09-2013, 06:25 PM

Registration (transfer). Historically, that's how it's been. It may have changed, though I doubt it.

08-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Free Member

You're correct about the 60 day restriction. However, in this case these are established domains, so that isn't a factor. The plan is this: With the DNS now moved to the registrar, we will next move the server, and once that is stable, we will transfer registrars. Does that sound like a solid plan?

-- merged --

Perhaps I need to clarify my point of confusion. I'm not concerned how the basic DNS works (I understand that part), it's about DNS verification and why I can't query -ANY- DNS server (not only GoDaddy), using any of several tools and get a CNAME reply. The zone files in question have no duplicate A & CNAME records.

For example, if I know there is a CNAME called "foo" in domain.com, why does a DNS query NOT display ANY CNAME records AT ALL? We know it's in the zone file, so why doesn't it show? The query behaves as if the CNAME records simply don't exist. My recollection is CNAMEs used to be visible using query tools (and virtually every query tool allows requesting -only- CNAMEs), they just don't return any records. Pick any domain, pick any DNS server, pick any query tool. Mix 'n match any way you like. No CNAMEs.
08-11-2013, 10:08 AM

Because of the 60-day rule (if still in effect), I would transfer the domain name first, and then point it at the new server at the new registrar. Because updating the DNS is a "change" that would reset the 60 days.

I suggest Namecheap over DirectNIC for its free DNS service. I like DirectNIC, but it charges $5 each, which I find somewhat expensive in the 2010s. It's where I keep several of my domains.

I don't have an answer for that one yet. "Pick any domain, pick any DNS server, pick any query tool. .... No CNAMEs." I'd have to test against one of my own. That's odd. The more important question is this: Does it make any difference?

08-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Free Member

I just re-confirmed I can make any DNS record changes without any restrictions or "time penalty", even if I just transferred the domain. The 60-day wait -only- applies to registering a new domain, or transfering to a -new- registrar. The waiting period is mandated by ICANN to prevent registrar "ownership" from getting out of sync, and as a security measure to prevent domain poaching where a domain is hopped form one registrar to the next before you can take any action to recover your domain. It's somewhat similar to closing escrow when buying a home.

As for "does it make any difference?" with CNAMEs, there are two answers. In terms of "does it work", it makes no difference at all. In terms of -validating- DNS propagation across multiple DNS servers, it makes -all- the difference. I know of no other way to verify DNS records on a DNS server which you can -only- query, especially if some of those records now seem "hidden".