digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]

digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives] (http://www.digitalfaq.com/archives/)
-   Video Encoding and Conversion (http://www.digitalfaq.com/archives/encode/)
-   -   TMPGEnc: Is noise reduction a good idea? (http://www.digitalfaq.com/archives/encode/2025-tmpgenc-noise-reduction.html)

Reno 01-03-2003 05:09 PM

TMPGEnc: Is noise reduction a good idea?
 
I regularly encode from Divx .avi's using kvcd templates in tmpgenc. Sometimes the divx sources can be a little noisy. Would the noise reduction filter in tmpgenc help with this, or is it there to limit block noise in your output file?

kwag 01-03-2003 05:31 PM

Try using Fluxsmooth. It's much better and far far faster than TMPEG's noise filter :wink:

-kwag

SansGrip 01-03-2003 05:34 PM

Re: Is noise reduction a good idea??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reno
I regularly encode from Divx .avi's using kvcd templates in tmpgenc. Sometimes the divx sources can be a little noisy.

I think the best approach -- nonsensical as it might at first sound -- is to try to remove as much of the existing noise as possible, then add some back in to low-detail areas if you need it :).

Reno 01-03-2003 05:37 PM

Ohh.. with the Blockbuster filter? or Undot? I've read some of your posts on that, but haven't made any attempt at it yet.

SansGrip 01-03-2003 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reno
Ohh.. with the Blockbuster filter? or Undot? I've read some of your posts on that, but haven't made any attempt at it yet.

Using Blockbuster.

GFR 01-06-2003 06:05 AM

Quote:

I think the best approach -- nonsensical as it might at first sound -- is to try to remove as much of the existing noise as possible, then add some back in to low-detail areas if you need it .
It's not non-sensical, because the noise you're adding is different from the noise you're removing.

The noise in the source (blocks, ringing, solarization, etc.) is highly correlated to the source (that is, you have the "ringing" - mosquitoes - following the edges, etc).

The blockbuster noise on the other hand is non-correlated, or "random".


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM  —  vBulletin Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd

Site design, images and content © 2002-2022 The Digital FAQ, www.digitalFAQ.com
Forum Software by vBulletin · Copyright © 2022 Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.