Quantcast Recording Video: use WinDVR to Capture? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
03-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Free Member

I'm considering a new HP that comes with DVD+RW and bundled WinDVD-SE software.

Do you know if WinDVD includes the same view/capture abilities of WinDVR with my WinTVGO card? I want to capture TV and burn to VCD via KVCDx3.

I've had so many problems with my PIII 750 with ATI graphics that I'm going to switch to something else. Also, I need to increase processor speed, go to WindowsXP and use the faster disk drives now available.

The HP 754N is on sale at BestBuy and Circuit City for $999.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

03-08-2003, 10:16 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksteel

Do you know if WinDVD includes the same view/capture abilities of WinDVR with my WinTVGO card? I want to capture TV and burn to VCD via KVCDx3.
WinDVD is just a player. It doesn't have any capture software.
You would have to get WinDVR for that.

-kwag
03-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Free Member

Hi Nicksteel!

You should definitely test a soft called Showshifter. It does time shifting, tv capture, dvd player, cd player with cddb, etc. The GUI is designed to be used on TV screen (big buttons) they've done quite a nice job on it.
A very nice think about it, is that it installed and run perfectly at my first try with an ATI AIW 7500. This gfx board is good, but ATI's software package is just a piece of s.. Understand you already knwo about this

You may also want to consider using W2K SP3 instead of XP. It is Microsoft's most debugged OS available right now (according to many video forums).

With the above mentionned stuff and a P4-2.4, I can encode divx realtime with CPU usage at 60% and no lost frames... with a bunch of TSR+NAT+firewall+2 P2P progs running at the same time!!
And if I capture with MJPEG codec (20% CPU), I can watch a movie at the same time.

http://www.avsforum.com/
the "doom9" of pctv

http://www.showshifter.com

http://ruel.net/pc/tv.tuner.frontend.htm
about a prog called myHTPC and other links.
03-09-2003, 04:11 AM
Free Member

Send a message via MSN to andybno1 Send a message via Yahoo to andybno1
I believe WINDVD-SE is windvd and windvr combined into one program.