digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Computers (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/computers/)
-   -   Best WinXP components for capturing? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/computers/13144-best-winxp-components.html)

Phileholic 12-09-2022 05:27 PM

After looking at some of the threads here, these are some of the best components for building a WinXP PC for capturing

Motherboard: ASRock 775i65G R3.0
Sound Card: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI

Taking these into account, what are some of the best make/models for the processor, RAM, power supply, etc., for this?

For ex.: would an Intel Pentium 4 EE be a good choice?

I'll be using an Intel Core 2 X6800 for the CPU. For the HDD, I'll be using a Seagate, but I'm not sure which model to use.

Cortez 12-10-2022 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Phileholic,
i went through the same and here is what information i got in this topic:

The key is an ATI AIW (All in Wonder) AGP video card (from 7200/7500 to 9000/9200/9800). The 8500 has a firewire connection thats why it is named 8500 DV. Others mentioned that it is not recommended. For miniDV "capturing" i inserted a firewire card into the PCIe slot.

After that you need a motherboard which have AGP port. Asrock brand was recommended for me. Your motherboard is also fine there are a lot of build with that. I personally chosed 4CoreDual-Sata2 because it is the only MOBO i found with SATAII connector.

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is also a recommended sound card in pair with ATi AIW cards.

For processor you need one with two cores (Dual-Core, Core2Duo) with the highest frequency / core. I found myself a Core2Duo E7600 with 3.06 Ghz.

For RAM 2 GB is enough. I tried to use my PC with 4 GB (2x2 GB). I can use only 3584 MB but there is a bigger problem. The PC never start booting at the first time. I have to reset it multiple times. So i removed one and using it with 2GB instead.

For HDD you need two physical drives. One for the operating system and another for the capturing. Windows XP supports up to 2 TB, but not SSD (missing TRIM function). Seagate is recommended. So my capture drive is a Seagate 2TB, but for system drive i chosed an 500 GB IDE drive i don't know why :smack:. For system drive I could buy only minimum 1 or 2 TB also.

I use the very same PSU that i got with the case. I don't remember any recommendation here but low performance can cause some problems.

Attachment 15888

I learned this on the forum so far. I hope i understood everything correctly earlier and not giving you false informations. Hopefully others will correct me if i am wrong.

Phileholic 12-10-2022 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortez (Post 88103)
For processor you need one with two cores (Dual-Core, Core2Duo) with the highest frequency / core. I found myself a Core2Duo E7600 with 3.06 Ghz.

In my experience, the highest frequency doesn't always mean the best. It's usually the latest model that performs better than the ones that came before it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortez (Post 88103)
For HDD you need two physical drives. One for the operating system and another for the capturing. Windows XP supports up to 2 TB, but not SSD (missing TRIM function). Seagate is recommended. So my capture drive is a Seagate 2TB, but for system drive i chosed an 500 GB IDE drive i don't know why :smack:. For system drive I could buy only minimum 1 or 2 TB also.

Is the one you have a BarraCuda?

lordsmurf 12-10-2022 09:39 PM

This thread has overlap with this one:
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/com...html#post87130

2tb 3.5" Seagate Barracuda are high quality drives, or at least have been for many years.

From other thread:
Quote:

For capture, per-core speed matters more, as it's a single-core task. You have two cores at least total, one for OS, one for capture process. (I know it doesn't 100% work this way, but to an extent it does.) CPU task isolation is nice, as the single-core CPU days could have interrupts.

Phileholic 12-11-2022 04:02 PM

This is in response to a post made here. SATA2 is said to be an advantage for a AIW system. It allows more/longer captures, faster transfers off-system, and less likely to drop frames.

Could someone elaborate more on this?

Phileholic 01-11-2023 03:19 PM

I've decided to go with these components

Intel Core 2 Duo E7600
OCZ 4000 VX Gold
ASRock 775i65G R3.0
Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" 2TB
ATI All in Wonder 9800 Pro
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Corsair SF450 Gold

lordsmurf 01-12-2023 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phileholic (Post 88566)
I've decided to go with these components

Intel Core 2 Duo E7600
OCZ 4000 VX Gold
ASRock 775i65G R3.0
Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" 2TB
ATI All in Wonder 9800 Pro
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Corsair SF450 Gold

That's all fine. :congrats:

I tend to be cheap with PSU, as expensive/fancy "better" units seem to fail more than cheap units. The whole "certified" thing is also somewhat "smoke and mirrors", and also has the added "benefit" of requiring active PFC "pure sinewave" UPS, at almost double the price. Yay?

For my main 24/7 heavy encoding system, sure, let's go high end. But for capture rigs? Nope. I vastly prefer to Apevia Venus PSUs, 450 or 500, for a whopping $20-30. Those are quiet, cool, and any power difference was mere extra pennies on my power bill.

RAM doesn't need to be anything special, either.

Sometimes PC building has placebo effects, marketing susceptible, bandwagon lemmings. Resist the BS. Focus on core needs (ATI, TBSC, Asrock, Seagate), but then don't waste funds on fancy cases, fans with lights, etc. Nor even overpriced RAM, PSU, mouse/keyboard, etc. These are tools for a task, not hot rods to impress.

Phileholic 01-12-2023 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 88582)
That's all fine. :congrats:

For my main 24/7 heavy encoding system, sure, let's go high end. But for capture rigs? Nope. I vastly prefer to Apevia Venus PSUs, 450 or 500, for a whopping $20-30. Those are quiet, cool, and any power difference was mere extra pennies on my power bill.

Is this it?
https://www.apevia.com/products-power-supply/atx-vn500w

Since it only costs around $25, I think I'll take your advice on this.

lordsmurf 01-12-2023 03:55 AM

Yes.

And if in U.S., buy it from Amazon: https://amzn.to/3QvIjHz
Just in case you need return policy, as PSUs can sometimes be DOA, like other computer components.