digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Computers (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/computers/)
-   -   Computer Crashing (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/computers/239-computer-crashing.html)

ishmot 12-25-2005 10:47 AM

Hello,

I am no longer able to transfer video from my minidv sony camcorder to my computer. In the past I have successfully used windv and or Adobe Premiere to seamlessly transfer the video over to the computer. Now my system freezes up about 2 seconds after I start capturing (in both windv & Premiere). Sometimes I get a blue screen stating that I have had a hardware failure and should contact vendor. Other times the systme simply reboots. I've looked everywhere online to see if others have had similar problems but most everything I've been able to find involves microsoft movie maker which I do not use nor have I ever installed. I'm fairly certain that it is not a problem with the firewire card as the camera is recognized and everything when it is plugged in.... it is only after starting the capture process that it freezes up. I've made sure that I have current drivers for the Firwire PCI card that I'm using. I've updated my Video Card drivers (ATI Radeon 7500) to the latest driver available. I also tried using an older driver to no avail so I reinstalled the most current set of drivers. I don't recall successfully capturing video since I recently upgraded to windows XP so It could be related to that. At the same time I also upgraded most of my system. System Stats are:
ABIT VT7 ATX Socket 478 Mo-Bo.
Intel P4 3.0 ghz.
1 GB Ram
Graphics- ATI Raedeon 7500
Windows 2002 professional (xp sp 2)
C drive - 120gb (applications only)
G drive - 160gb File Storage
E drive - 120gb Used exclusively for capturing video/dvd authoring files.
Firewire card (used for capturing throuh ilink cable to Sony TRV33 camera)
USB Card & Hub with several USB devices.
Here are my installed sound and video controllers:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/uplo...;ntrollers.jpg

That's about it... If you have any thoughts on what might be causing this problem I would appreciate your help.

Regards,

Jared

- ishmot

ishmot 12-26-2005 12:49 PM

Update:

Today I decided to just go out and buy a new Graphics Card that would allow me to capture straight to MPEG. So I purchased the ATI All-IN-WONDER 2006 Edition. (ATI 9600).
Using this new video card I get the same error messages when trying to capture from my camcorder via firewire but have no problem at all using the composite Video and audio input block. Using the Audio/video input block I am able to capture to mpeg just fine. I would still like to be able to capture using the Firewire. Tommorrow I think I will replace the firewire card just to rule that out.

Jared

admin 12-27-2005 05:55 AM

You've given yourself a nice upgrade. And I think you're on the right track for the fireware card. It's either the card, or the card drivers were corrupted. If it's the card drivers, UNINSTALL/REMOVE the device from the device manager, and then reboot and let the system auto-find the hardware again.

I lose hardware like that from time to time, this is always the fix. Not long ago, Apple iTunes 6 made my DVD burner disappear. I had to uninstall iTunes, and then delete the DVD burner from my device manager, and then reboot. It was detected, and all was well again.

ishmot 12-28-2005 10:13 AM

I swapped out my firewire card with a new card and still no luck. It is strange though that with this new firewire card it will capture video for a couple of minutes sometimes before it will freeze up. I can get streaming video throught the usb connection on my camcorder but results are poor. All other methods for capturing the video (through my new all-in-wonder) work fine but I'm not too impressed with the results. The hardware mpeg conversion seems to produce poor results. Even after following the setup instructions on your page.

Anyway... Any other thoughts on why the ilink isn't working?

Thanks,

Jared

admin 12-29-2005 05:48 PM

It may be a defective camera? Have you tried it on another computer?

ishmot 01-02-2006 02:52 PM

Hmmmmm. Possible. but not likely. Everything that I've read leads me to believe that I've got some strange sort of conflict between firewire and my Motherboard. For now I'm going to leave it at that until I can get more info from the folks at ABIT. I doubt that they will fess up to the problem but who knows.

Thanks for your help. For now I'm going to concentrate on perfecting the mpeg capture process with my new All-in-Wonder.

admin 01-07-2006 02:07 PM

When it comes to ABIT, I've heard it both ways, in regard to the boards being good or bad. They're still better than the cheapo VIA and ECS stuff.