Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I'll update this list as I test various software that I've commonly used in Windows for digital video, digital audio, web/print design, web development and administration, and other related activities. These conclusion are based on use of the freeware WineBottler (Mac distribution of Wine) with a "new style" 2010 Mac mini, OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, with 2GB RAM and Intel Core 2 Duo.

Note that some apps require slightly more complicated install procedures (example: HuffYUV), and guides/instructions are pending. If you need more immediate help installing and/or using specific programs in Wine, feel free to join the forum (it's free!) and ask for help in a new thread in the computer forum.

Does Work
  • Codecs: HuffYUV, Lagarith lossless, MSU lossless, Toponoky lossless, Ut Video, On2 VP7, YMPEG
  • ConvertXtoDVD 3 (Note: preview does not work)
  • dBpoweramp Music Converter
  • DivX Author
  • DVD Flick (Note: preview may not work)
  • Internet Explorer 8
  • SQLyog (MySQL database admin tool from Webyog)
  • VirtualDub (Note: some filters do not work, and there are other quirks)
  • Windows OS apps: DOS command prompt, Notepad, RegEdit (all included in WineBottler for admin of Wine)

Does NOT Work
  • Codecs: Matrox VfW codecs, GPEG, XviD
  • dBpoweramp CD Ripper (cannot find drive)
  • EAC
  • ImgBurn (cannot find drive)
  • Nero CD-DVD Speed, Nero Disc Speed (cannot find drive)
  • MainConcept Reference 1.6 (Windows version)

If you can add to these lists, please post your experiences. I can verify the pass/fail status of the app, and then add it to this official site list.
Or if for some reason you know of a workaround that will make one of the above "NOT work" into a "work" then post that, too! (Sometimes being wrong is good!)

Thanks.

NOTE: Yes, I realize there are lists at the official Wine site, but I find them to be unreliable. Wine for Mac runs less software than Wine for Linux. Beyond that, most of the Wine for Linux list appears to be aimed at confirming whether games work on Linux, and that's not at all what I care about -- I want Wine for tools, not toys. If your main goal of using a computer is to play video games, then buy a Windows machine or a console (PS3, XBOX360, etc).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.

Last edited by lordsmurf; 05-06-2011 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Added software to list
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-13-2011, 03:58 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

After trying to go VM-free on my Mac mini for three months, I've come to the conclusion that Wine is a poor substitute for Parallels, with an actual Windows XP installation inside of it. However, I'll continue to test software in Mac OS X Wine, and stay on top of Wine developments and updates, for the purpose of research and curiosity. It's what we do at The Digital FAQ, after all!

If running Windows software beside your Mac software is necessary for your workflow -- be it video, photography, web development, or desktop publishing -- the spend the $60 to get the current version: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957

And then acquiring a copy of Windows XP (preferably a legit version) should be rather easy for most computer users. Many of us have a stack of discs in a drawer, once in use on a computer that was replaced -- and the new computer came with Vista or Windows 7. Ask around to your friends, family, co-workers -- somebody has one. Just install XP inside the Parallels Desktop VM, and you're ready to work again.

Wine just isn't stable enough on Mac OS X, when you need a reliable tool.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
05-06-2011, 05:06 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Added DivX Author. It works! See attached clips as proof of functionality.

Attached Files
File Type: mpg CareerBuild Monkeys A SB2005.mpg (6.44 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: avi NoSubject_5-6-2011 4.divx.avi (5.96 MB, 1 downloads)

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Free Member

For those who wish to run Windows in a virtual machine on their Mac, you can use VirtualBox which is a free alternative to Parallels. It isn't quite as polished and may require a bit more configuration to get started, but it works very well and (to my knowledge) can do everything Parallels does. Did I mention that it's free?

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...-84104-OSX.dmg

I also suggest you download this official plugin that adds additional functionality to VirtualBox:

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...4.vbox-extpack
04-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
The only thing that VMware or Parallels does, and Virtualbox does not (or did not), is the seamless integration.
For some people, that doesn't matter, and indeed VirtualBox is a better choice.

It's been a while -- I need to revisit this.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Free Member

LordSmurf! Long time, no see.

Yes, Virtualbox is (IMO) the superior choice for most people. The alternatives provide a more polished GUI, easier to use support channels and better OS integration with Windows and OS X. However, those issues are minor for most users who are venturing into virtual machines. Also, the "guest additions" add on that I linked to above, provides much improved integration depending on the choice of host and guest OS.