Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

I have had this model hooked via Ethernet up a dell PC 2004 with windows xp home service pack 2. It is also connected via an ethernet switch with another Ethernet cable to a mac mini in a bedroom.

There are other devices in our home, an amazon knidle, & an ipod touch, an iphone & laptop that connect via wifi.

In the last few weeks, when I try to load web pages from the dell pc, the page progress indicator would spin, the page would try to load, but slowly, & I would get a page saying cannot connect to server. I would then just hit the refesh tab, & then the page would load.

While I was on my mac in my room, (while the dell was shut down, but router still on) pages started loading slowly, & then I could not connect to the internet at all.

I made sure the wifi was off on the ipod touch. I dont think the wifi was turned off the last time the laptop was turned on. My moms amazon kindle seems to keep a wifif signal on for awhile even when it is shut off.

I logged into the at&t interface, & ran a diagnostics test, & it showed disconnected from the DSL. I let it run the diagnostics, then a few seconds later, I was on the internet again. I just clicked on one of my bookmarks, & it loaded the page. I also noticed pages seemed to load a little faster.

does having wifi devices interfere with internet connectivity?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-08-2012, 03:44 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Q: Does having wifi devices interfere with internet connectivity?
A: No.

This is probably an issue of the incoming signal being too weak, or outside lines somehow being damaged by weather, squirrels, birds, etc. DSL is just phone lines, and most people still have above-ground (not buried) cables supplying their power, phone and cable.

Your ISP will always blame you, your computer, and your router. But they're usually blaming-shifting, incompetent idiots reading a script -- especially the ones who provide phone support. If this continues, somebody may have to come out and test your lines. If you know any neighbors with DSL, ask them about their experience. Just realize that an "it's fine" may not mean much, as that person may not be online for sustained periods when you're also online and having issues.

While routers and modems do crap out over time (often from overheating chips), signal issues are far, far, far more likely and common.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
05-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

is there anything I should do? it seems to happen sporadically, mostly, when I try to acess a web page, it says cannot connect to server, then I click on refresh in the address bar, & the page reloads, & the internet page comes up.

I have been lately having the most trouble with yahoo mail, my e-mail., but hitting refresh usually pulls the page up.
05-09-2012, 03:38 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Are you using the ISP's DNS, or have you already switched to OpenDNS? Sometimes that helps a lot.
If you want to switch, search this site for "opendns" and you'll find my post about fixing Charter internet speeds.

Aside from that, I don't really know what else to tell you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.