06-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Free Member

I am interested in replicating a glass master DVD and manufacturing CD's. I don't want to go to a middle man company. I want to go directly to the manufacturing plants, which many are closing these days. Does anyone know where I can find a list of CD/DVD manufacturing plants that are in the United States? Thanks in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

Don't know if Canada is ok. I have worked with Amtech in the past for a CD pressing my friend did for his punk band. They did a great job with the jewel case inserts (B+W with spot color) and disc artwork (single color silkscreen). Support was one-on-one via telephone during every step of the process. If there was a problem with artwork or golden master, they were quick to notify so we could correct it before manufacturing. Their prices back in 1999-2000 were very reasonable as well, I don't know how they fare these days.

http://www.duplication.ca
06-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Free Member

Thanks for your response. Do you know if they are an actual plant?

I'm actually looking for a plant that I can drive to that's in the northeast or southeast as I am trying to pick up the items in person and save on shipping costs.
06-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

I believe so. The discs did have "Amtech" laser etched onto the hub, so I'm assuming they pressed out the discs and printed the inserts themselves. It might be best to call and ask as that could have changed. Shipping for media really isn't too expensive unless you are talking about thousands of discs in jewel/DVD cases. The only issue if you went up there to pick stuff up is that you would have to deal with customs upon re-entry to the USA.
06-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and find something stateside first, but I'll check them out.
06-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I highly suggest New Cyberian: http://newcyberian.com/aboutus.html

Pressed DVDs vary as much as burned DVDs, in terms of the quality of materials, assembly line and workmanship. I've had countless thousands of discs pressed by New Cyberian in the past 6-7 years, and the discs are beautiful -- not a single flaw on the metal reflective layer or on the polycarbonate layers. The on-disc printing is excellent, as is the packaging printing.

I can only imagine how much business I've sent their way in the past decade. I know for a fact that some of their listed customers went to them off my recs. (Too bad they don't have an affiliate program!) At one point in time, years and years ago, when they still advertised, they were also a digitalFAQ.com advertiser. I've not seen a NewCyberian ad on any site (or in any magazine) for quite a while now. I think they've hit a point where they largely get word-of-mouth references and don't need to advertise.

That's who I would use. I don't even bother to investigate their competitors anymore -- nobody can touch them for quality, from what I've seen in the past decade of dealing with replication work. Due to our heavy involvement in streaming CDN content these days, it's been a little while since I sent them any press work.

Note that this advice is for disc replication (pressed discs) -- not duplication (burned disc). Just in case there is any confusion. (We actually duplicate media ourselves, for anything less than 250 discs. Beyond 250 discs, it's cheaper to just replicate/press.)

New Cyberian can accept your master on DVD-R or DVD+R. I believe they can also accept DVD+R DL, as well as ISO images on hard drives. Most of our dealings with them have been for single layer presses via submitted DVD-R(G) masters, so I don't always remember all the other input options off-hand. I'm pretty sure they just rip a disc image anyway, if it's submitted on a disc. Some specs are written on the site, some are not.

The facility is in Silicon Valley and turn-around tends to be in about 2 weeks.

I'm not readily aware of anything in the Deep South or Southeast. (If anything did exist, it would be in Atlanta.) The DiscMakers plant is outside Philadelphia. To do business with DM, you have to visit a local sales office, order online, or order by phone. But my current preference is still for New Cyberian.

As you've noticed, a lot of pressing services are middlemen. We help our clients place orders with New Cyberian -- we don't act as middlemen. (I honestly don't see the point. The mark-up is too small to be bothered with it.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out.
09-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

If you still have a CD project to replicate (or Duplicate) you should check out DERING DIRECT! www.deringdirect.com

Located in Lancaster, Pa., The Dering Corporation is recognized as a market leader with its media packaging products, as well as being an innovator in compact disc replication and printing. David D. Dering's replication and printing experience dates back to 1986 when he founded AmericanHelix. The Dering Corporation offers complete turn-key services to support digital media projects of all sizes.

Our list of services includes:
CD and DVD Replication Audio, ROM, and DVD Premastering
Complete Fulfillment Services Custom Color Disc Label Printing
CDR and DVDR Duplication Custom Packaging
CShell®, PearlPak™, and DiscSaver® Manufacturing.
Please let me know if you have any present or future projects to discuss.

All the best, Geoffrey Landesberg / D/DVD Sales Consultant
717-394-4200 ext 335 www.deringdirect.com
glandesberg@deringdirect.com

PS: Don't write the obituary for CDs & DVDs, yet! There are, still, many years left for our polycarbonite pals as the media of choice for the world! If you have a catalog, or publicity brochures, product demo or introduciton, film to promote or distribute, Audio CD to market or sell... YOU STILL NEED CDs or DVDs!. The quality is superior, the experience more personal, the impact much greater; when compared to (or combined with) a digitall download or streaming video.
The ease and cost effectiveness of Disc Replication (or Duplication for smaller quantities) continue to make Discs a sensible choice. I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
09-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landesberg View Post
If you still have a CD project to replicate
I would like to point out that you're replying to a thread that's almost 4 months old. I would hope that the person has already made their plans at this time. It would be rather disappointing if something as trivial as a good DVD press facility is still up in the air, and stuck in the planning stage.

Quote:
DVD Sales Consultant
Please don't spam our forum. Because it's related to this topic, and because this site does have a specialty in relation to CD/DVD/Blu-ray media, I'll let it slide this time -- in the interest of keeping good relations with a CD/DVD facility. Generally speaking, spammers are banned and listed in our spammer hall of shame thread. Within moderation, we currently allow companies to list current sales in our Daily Deals forums. And then we're always open to advertisers. Feel free to be a valued part of the community, as well, as I'm sure pressing plant facilities are a wealth of knowledge on many things related to video and optical media.

Quote:
PS: Don't write the obituary for CDs & DVDs, yet! There are, still, many years left for our polycarbonite pals as the media of choice for the world! If you have a catalog, or publicity brochures, product demo or introduciton, film to promote or distribute, Audio CD to market or sell... YOU STILL NEED CDs or DVDs!.
Definitely an accurate assessment.

Optical media is far from dead, and while Blu-ray may be a long-term flop (the jury's still out on that format), the CD and DVD is well entrenched in society, and won't be going anywhere for quite a while. At earliest, I'd suspect it will take another decade to phase out CD/DVD media. For many things, CD/DVD are still the best format for delivering certain types of content. Large software suites, for example. Or collections of archive-worthy video (i.e., DVD box sets).

Quote:
The quality is superior, the experience more personal, the impact much greater; when compared to (or combined with) a digitall download or streaming video.
I actually don't entirely agree with this statement. You can make lousy CDs/DVDs -- and many people do! The content itself is most important, not the delivery medium. I've seen H.264 streams online that can easily whip the quality found on a CD or DVD. There's nothing inherently superior about digital audio stored on a disc, versus that which is stored in a cloud or downloaded online.

In our digital age, it would hard to sell the "more personal" aspect, given strides in online marketing. Same for stating that the "impact (is) much greater". It's hard to make such statements at the current time, in 2011. In an urban environment, it's just not going to hold up. It's about as popular as an AOL floppy disc. Maybe in the extreme backwoods, like rural Kentucky or Montana, will you be more apt to find people that prefer mailed marketing discs over online delivery. That's largely because their internet connections are complete crap (dial-up or weenie DSL speeds).

You have to know your audience, in order to know what to deliver.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
09-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Thanks for your thoughtful comments, and apologies for the spam acpect of my posting. I'm new to the forum venue and did not realize my post could be inappropriate. I'll be sure to remove any "commercial" aspects to future posts. Just trying to make folks aware of another choice in Replicators. all the best glandesberg@deringdirect.com